Home electrical question: ceiling fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
    My first house I bought back in Plano in the mid-90's I repainted the entire interior of house and replaced all the tan colored plugs to white. Most of those fuckers were connected wrong but they still worked. All the appliances were electric and nothing ever happened.
    When we sold, it the inspector red tagged all the plugs and said they needed to be wired correctly, which we did and that's when I found out a little bit more about how electricity works...
    HAHA. I mean surely there was a reason back in the day for the big blade little blade on the plug. Makes me wonder about now days where most plugs don't have that anymore.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      HAHA. I mean surely there was a reason back in the day for the big blade little blade on the plug. Makes me wonder about now days where most plugs don't have that anymore.
      Back in the day this was done so that the plugs of high current devices could only be inserted one way..it was a method of insuring proper polarity.

Comment

Black-Line/hot
        White-Neutral/return
        The green and bare are PE/ground

Comment

You might double check the breakers. In my house (built in 1982), some of the breakers will trip, killing power, but the actual switch on the panel doesn't move, so it still shows that it's "on". I have to flip them off and back on to get shit working again.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            You might double check the breakers. In my house (built in 1982), some of the breakers will trip, killing power, but the actual switch on the panel doesn't move, so it still shows that it's "on". I have to flip them off and back on to get shit working again.
            Federal Pacific/Zinsco panel?

Comment

Working...
            X