Honda mower worth the extra $$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda mower worth the extra $$?

Need to buy a new mower as my 10+ year old Craftsman is dying. I normally buy a Craftsman mower but I've been wondering what all the hype is about Honda. Is it worth the extra $100 it's going to cost me over the Craftsman? One thing I do like is the twin blade micro cut. But with my yard, I probably couldn't tell the difference.

parts are easier to get for honda's and besides where do you buy craftsman mowers since Sears is extinct?

Comment

True! It was always nice when Sears had their Service Center open in Grand Prairie, I could just swing by and pick up parts or have them order it. Than the moved to Mesquite and it became a PITA to get parts or service. Always online for stuff like this, I like to go local and just pick it up. Think I'll spend the money on a Honda and see what all the hype is about.

Comment

my four stroke honda weed eater does not fuck around. also have a twenty year old honda self propelled that still handles business.

ride red motherfucker!

Comment

You've got good timing. Last year they did a redesign and released an all new HRN series

I've got an HRX. It's great and all but lately I've been reminiscing about my old craftsman eager-1 I bought when I was a kid. It lasted 20 years until the gas change. It had a tiny engine and small deck but man was that thing easy to push and maneuver.

Comment

What I plan on picking up then for $409 since it's close by and in stock. Only thing I wish it had was big wheels in the back and a single lever adjustment.

Shop Honda Hrn 166-cc 21-in Gas Self-propelled Lawn Mower Engine at Lowe's.com. Superior performance meets value. The HRNVKA is self-propelled with integrated Smart Drive Speed Control that efficiently adapts the mowing speed to match your

Comment

When I moved back to Dallas I needed a lawn mower. One day while driving home from work I passed a home nearby that had a Honda mower sitting on the curb for trash pickup. I stopped and noticed the homeowner in the garage so I asked what the deal was. He said his grandson hit a tree stump and that the engine vibrates now and the self propel doesn't work so he just bought a new one. I took it home. Starts right up easily, yes it does vibrate...crankshaft is bent slightly but it still works. Drive belt slipped off pulley from lack of maintenance. Been using it for 2 years and works great. Long story short...yes they are good mowers. I also have a rear drive Toro that just sits in the shed because the gas tank leaks but it runs and cuts great also.

Comment

I have one similar to the one you are buying. My only complaint is the front wheel drive. I should have sprung for all wheel drive but I have a difficult slope on the side of my yard.

Comment

You will love a honda brand mower.. their decks are superior to almost all other homeowner mowers. I’ve had almost every model.. they’re the most durable of the homeowner mowers too.. parts galore available and cheap too.. it will likely be the last mower you need to buy.. buy one.. you won’t regret it.. it will outperform the awd and fwd mowers. It will cut better than most too and they bag fantastic almost like a vacuum
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Picked up the mower the other day and finally got a chance to use it for an hour mowing parts of the outide of my fence yesterday. Definitely a nice mower, looks sleek and futuristic with not having any fins on the top of the mower like I'm using to with my Craftsman. Although not a big selling point for me, the twin blades do cut the grass down to really fine bits. And I do like how the self properl handle works. Craftsman has a squeeze handle on the right side while the Honda has a large paddle that can be used by either hand. Still not sold if this is $100 nicer but it is a nice mower that will hopefully last me a really long time.

Comment

bro. it is a honda. the only thing it will ever need is gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        Picked up the mower the other day and finally got a chance to use it for an hour mowing parts of the outide of my fence yesterday. Definitely a nice mower, looks sleek and futuristic with not having any fins on the top of the mower like I'm using to with my Craftsman. Although not a big selling point for me, the twin blades do cut the grass down to really fine bits. And I do like how the self properl handle works. Craftsman has a squeeze handle on the right side while the Honda has a large paddle that can be used by either hand. Still not sold if this is $100 nicer but it is a nice mower that will hopefully last me a really long time.
                        I've got a 20yr old hrt2162tda at my mom's that all I've done is change the oil every season w/whatever leftover synthetic I had on hand, a few spark plugs, air filters, sets of blades, self propel cable and wheels. It still starts on the first pull, even after sitting for months on end.

Comment

Only issue I ever had with my Honda was I tipped it on the side to wash underneath and the air filter got wet with gas and wouldn't run right even after it dried.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                            Only issue I ever had with my Honda was I tipped it on the side to wash underneath and the air filter got wet with gas and wouldn't run right even after it dried.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            I’ve done that.. learned to always tilt them “air filter up”

You guys with honda mowers really need to relocate your springs too.. it’s a total game changer.. don’t worry it won’t hurt them (I’ve literally put hundreds of hours that way).. it’s the first thing I do after I buy them (unless you buy new then probably mow 5-10 times first)
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              You’ll love it man and the more u get used to it the more you will appreciate.. the decks, wheels, and all moving parts will just outlast the other brands (except maybe the toro super recycler it’s great too). The honda engine is great but the deck and bars are what sets them apart from the competition
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X