Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting

As we remodel rooms and update things, we are changing out lighting. Most of the lighting in our house are gumball or pancake/boob fixtures mounted to J-boxes.

Strolling through Home Depot the other day getting supplies to re-run the vent pipe for the master vanity, I noticed they are now selling flushmout LED downlight fixtures. Essentially can lights without the can. They mount to Jboxes, making it easy to retrofit, you only have to cut drywall if you need to add a J-box.

We are actually in the process of changing our new builds over to these in a lot of locations. With the energy code getting tighter we are onstantly looking for ways to minimize the amount and size of holes we have to cut that cross over into conditioned space. So, instead of can lights, we will be using J-boxes, reducing the size of the hole and effectively the amount of air cross over from unconditioned space.

Anyway, I digress, has anyone used these? I picked up a couple of HALO units, 700 lumen at 3000k, with intention to replace the laundry room and master bath/commode room light with them. I hung the laundry room tonight, and I don't like the color of the 3000k, it is still too yellow.

If you have used them, what brand? Lumen? Light temperature?

The halo's seem to double in price when going from 2500 & 3000k to 4000 & 5000k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Had to look them up. Haven't seen them before.
    Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

HaloSLD 5 in. and 6 in. Matte White Integrated LED Low Profile Recessed Surface Mount Disk Light 90 CRI, 4000K Cool White

SKU# 207136019
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Yeah, that is what I bought, though my store only had the 2700 and 3000k in stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

$45 each? No thanks. Id rather spend the money towards spray foam.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          $45 each? No thanks. Id rather spend the money towards spray foam.
          The 2700k and 300k units are $25. For my personal home, I'm doing it more as an update than an energy efficiency item. the fixtures are old and rooms are dimly lit, so we are adding cans, replacing fixtures, etc.

For our new construction, we are definitely not paying $45 each. I think somewhere more in the $13 range and paying less $$ in the way of material.

Comment

Working...
          X