Building a pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
    Having gone from a manufactured hot tub to an in-ground hot tub, what's your comparison of the two?

I've never sat in one of the round circles of concrete and actually thought, "yeah, this is nice". To me, they're very uncomfortable and most have a stone coping hanging over the edge to poke you in the back if you try to lean back at all. The preman units have multiple seating arrangements and a vast array of jets. Seems like a no-brainer to me, though I've never owned either one. And the built in versions are sure popular. Seems to me like the ONLY thought to those are aesthetics. Comfort be damned.
    I think your assessment is pretty accurate. The manufactured hot tub was more comfortable, had better jet placement, and had various types of jets that produced different types of massage. We went back and forth about the built in for a while. I wouldn't say the built-in is uncomfortable, it's just not AS comfortable as the manufactured one. In the end, it's more convenient to deal with one set of equipment, the aesthetics are generally better, and the water is easier to manage as it's part of the pool. The standalone we had to keep hot all the time, but the built in can be heated in 20 minutes. I also won't need to buy a new $500 cover every few years (probably my own neglect on coating the vinyl). I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for going stand-alone, you can get a top of the line unit for way less then the cost of a built-in. Just depends on what your priorities are.
    DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
      We built a pool in 2017. Build time from dig to fill was a little over 5 weeks. I put together a time-lapse of my build here:

https://youtu.be/V-8DDldDVBw
      Great video. Makes me wish I would of filmed mine! Pools are costly and a pain in the butt, but I love em. And most importantly, my kiddos love it - I figured we only have so much time until they are too cool for us and then the pool wont be as much of a priority. But they have enjoyed it for some time now, and its pretty cool having them and their friends always hanging out here. Worth the cost to me. And I like diving in after working in the yard or getting back from playing golf.

Comment

If I had NG I would of done a hot tub.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

For the people talking about the hot pools, check out glacier pool coolers. Purely air cooling, but it keeps my pool at 80*F if I want it that cold.

Glacier Pool Coolers llc is the affordable answer and solution for hot swimming pools. Our pool chillers work excellent in humid climates operating with low costs and high efficiency, while heat pumps are costly to operate and struggle in summer months

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            For the people talking about the hot pools, check out glacier pool coolers. Purely air cooling, but it keeps my pool at 80*F if I want it that cold.

https://www.glacierpoolcoolers.com/

shade is cheaper and doesn't take any power to run.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              Going from a heater to a heat pump/chiller combo was only 1500 extra in our case.

Adding shade that looks good and is removable isnt really going to be any cheaper than that without being a major pain. If I weren't getting the heater combo I'd agree that the cost dynamic changes.

Comment

I've done shade, it doesn't work anywhere near as good as this thing. If I really push it, I can get it into the 70's, which is fucking cold.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  I've done shade, it doesn't work anywhere near as good as this thing. If I really push it, I can get it into the 70's, which is fucking cold.
                  Don't give me that BS about shade not working. I have dropped a pool from the high 90s to the mid 70s with a total materials out lay of $600. You just didn't have enough shade.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Don't give me that BS about shade not working. I have dropped a pool from the high 90s to the mid 70s with a total materials out lay of $600. You just didn't have enough shade.
                    Yeah, but you're a constant one upper with questionable stories, so I tend to take anything you say with a grain of salt. I'll stick with my cooler.

Comment

x2

Artificial Shade works if done correctly...Helped my in-laws on their pool. They were seeing mid 90's in the pool, after we put up the shade it dropped the temp by 10 degrees...and we only shaded about 2/3 of the pool

Those glacier coolers do work but I don't see too many of them. The pools that I do see them on have full sun and they are pretty much a necessity unless they want 98 degree water by August

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                        x2

Artificial Shade works if done correctly...Helped my in-laws on their pool. They were seeing mid 90's in the pool, after we put up the shade it dropped the temp by 10 degrees...and we only shaded about 2/3 of the pool

Those glacier coolers do work but I don't see too many of them. The pools that I do see them on have full sun and they are pretty much a necessity unless they want 98 degree water by August
                        And that same shade is going to keep the pool cool in march, apr and oct

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          And that same shade is going to keep the pool cool in march, apr and oct
                          Wrong

Its easily removable...The shade is put up around mid June and taken down in September

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                            Wrong

Its easily removable
                            That requires effort, places to store it and removable shade done cheap is not attractive.

So the chiller is barely more expensive (if at all), requires less effort and works better. Some of us are ok spending negligiby more for a superior solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              That requires effort, places to store it and removable shade done cheap is not attractive.

So the chiller is barely more expensive (if at all), requires less effort and works better. Some of us are ok spending negligiby more for a superior solution.
                              Very little effort to put it up...and it's not ugly but whatever you want to do. Just giving you an idea on how to keep temps down

Comment

I guess I should jump in as we finally started yesterday. I got the easement situation worked out with the city after about 3 months of arguing and we started excavating yesterday. I was told 40-60 days to complete.

We are getting a heater and I'm really interested in that cooler option mentioned above. It seems it can be added later if needed so I will see how it goes before I spend more. I've got umbrella holes added all over this thing to add shade as needed so we might be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X