Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about Olympic lifts...crossfitters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Olympic lifts...crossfitters?

So, for the most part I typically do crossfit style workouts and supplement them with more traditional workouts. There are a couple of lifts that I haven't done and want some more info on. Specifically, they are the overhead squat and the barbell snatch. I don't plan on competing at all, I just want to know if these are lifts worth doing considering the risks of injury.

Any input is appreciated.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
    So, for the most part I typically do crossfit style workouts and supplement them with more traditional workouts. There are a couple of lifts that I haven't done and want some more info on. Specifically, they are the overhead squat and the barbell snatch. I don't plan on competing at all, I just want to know if these are lifts worth doing considering the risks of injury.

Any input is appreciated.

I wont be doing any overhead squats that's for sure. Regular squats will do you just fine...
    www.LockoutSupplements.com
    discount code = dfwmustangs

Comment

Overhead squats are a circus lift. The snatch requires too much training to perform correctly and you can get the same benefits from much simpler movements (high pulls for example). I wouldn't do snatches unless you're going to be competing in the snatch.

Comment

Fuck overhead squats, that seems like a back injury just waiting to happen!
        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
        sigpic

Comment

I love me some snatches and overhead squats.
          Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

I do both front and back squats as well as deadlifts. Just didn't know if there's any benefit to these other lifts.

Comment

It's just work.

Comment

Liabilities(or risk of injury) > Benefits

As said, there are other lifts that can be done that will be just as(or more) beneficial without the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
                  I wont be doing any overhead squats that's for sure. Regular squats will do you just fine...
                  I wanna see you get 500+ over your head, LOL!

Comment

I can't get anymore then 225 over my head. They can keep it after that.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                      I wanna see you get 500+ over your head, LOL!
                      Not going to happen unless you count bench over my head. haha
                      www.LockoutSupplements.com
                      discount code = dfwmustangs

Comment

Don't even think about the overhead squats. Unless you're training for sports (i.e. explosiveness), I wouldn't worry about doing any snatches or power cleans, etc.. I was a glutton for punishment and I loved doing power cleans, squats, etc.. when I played sports and was in powerlifting. Maybe that's why I ended up with a hernia

Comment

I do a lot of explosive exercises. Things like bicep curls and tricep extensions just don't do it for me anymore.

Comment

depends on your end goal.

i think people just do them if they get bored want to try a new lift. i wouldn't fly into it without a good coach, like one that's competed in at weightlifting at the state/national level. otherwise go very very light...

Also this guy is in the area, he weights 150-160 lbs and can snatch 230. he trains at some gym in carrollton i think still.. he'll help you for free (maybe) if he hasn't killed himself already:

these guys know what they're doing too, but you'd have to join their gym:

Last edited by 32valves_of_pleasure; 08-09-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

my 2 cents.

if you are an active CF'er and plan to compete. you need to master the snatch and the overhead squat will suppliment that.

but you said you just do CF style workouts, so like the rest have mentioned i would steer clear and suppliment something else. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X