I hate trading weight for power....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate trading weight for power....

I usually hang out in the 220-225 range but this year starting in January I decided that 220ish was just too heavy for a middle aged guy.

I've dropped down to 207 but the worst thing is that I can't push as much weight as I could when I was heavier.

The 100s for dumbbell shoulder presses are just freaking heavy now, I'm using the 90s or 95s on a good day.

It was a struggle to get 275 reverse grip bench for 5 when I could get it for 6 reps while heavier.

This is the same with about every exercise.

I know "weight moves weight", but this is frustrating.

On the bright side, it is easier to move while doing cardio and obstacle course stuff.

Dont end up like me with a pretty good hernia I think. MRI should be back soon.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      Dont end up like me with a pretty good hernia I think. MRI should be back soon.
      Sorry to hear. Are you off work?

Comment

No, it is from when I had the ab problem in Feb I think. It wasnt really to obvious I guess. Went twice and got checked and nothing really showed. Started getting worse and worse and then I told the dock it felt like I had a small bulge from my naval over to almost my side. It's like right on the line where my pants ride and my belly is so I think it wasnt easy to catch. Me knowing my own body I took his hand and pushed where my concern was. He agreed something was not right and the MRI was ordered. Its kind of a line and not a huge buldge. I will know monday or so.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

if you can press your bodyweight you're probably stronger than most people your age.

Comment

Originally posted by 32valves_of_pleasure View Post
            if you can press your bodyweight you're probably stronger than most people your age.
            My max used to be 360. I'm one of those guys that suck at bench.

I have quit doing that and just do 225x8 for 3 sets of bench on chest days.

I also do a set of 225x8 for 3 sets reverse grip bench for triceps unless I decide to get froggy and do a set with 275 just for my ego.

Comment

It's easy tonbe stron when you're overweight! That's the hardest balance for me as well. I decided I like lean more...even though it's Harder than strength. And I'm a lot younger than you. At some point pressing that much weight is just pointless...

Comment

Working...
              X