The Rallycross Car Shopping Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why only a $1000 budget?

reason I ask is I am trying to sell our Lemons 1997 Neon for $2500. Has fresh motor, cam, header, lightweight flywheel, new'ish clutch. Ebay lowering springs with factory shocks. ACR computer. Tons of spares, spare engine, brake pads for a lifetime of use. Cage by Greg Lucas, 15 gallon FIA-GT3 fuel cell (out of date for SCCA or NASA but works fine). Has an out of date FIA seat on fixed mount. Needs belts as they are out of date and hard. 2 full sets of 15x7 rims with used direzzas and Falken azenis. Looks really ugly but is reasonably quick. Ran a 2:11 at TWS CCW heat cycling direzzas. May need a steering rack or just a tie rod end but a well prepped car. Weighs under 2100# with 1/2 tank and no driver.

PLEASE come buy this!

Comment

Cant go wrong with a neon. Or old Datsun .http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4753067169.html
      was gonna try rallycross but there's not many events. And even fewer around here. And I gotta laugh at affordable racing lol. You will destroy and rebuild often if tracks rough enough. Lasers and eclipse can be found cheap too btw

Comment

There was a Spec Geo Metro class for RallyCross in some region several years ago. Can't remember where, but it was several states away, so it wouldn't have been feasible. GrassRoots Motorsports ran an article on it. Looked like a ton of fun! As for me, I'd just with what I know, which is Miatas and foxbodies. You can buy some shitty ones for $1k. Or buy Aggie97's car and be way ahead in the longrun!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
          Why only a $1000 budget?

PLEASE come buy this!
          Because I wouldn't want to put much money into it. I'm not a good candidate for that car for several reasons, not the least of which is timing.

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
          And I gotta laugh at affordable racing lol. You will destroy and rebuild often if tracks rough enough.
          In my defense, I did say cheap relative to other racing. And no, I wouldn't destroy and rebuild. I'd destroy and scrap. If I only got a couple of events out of a car, that'd be fine. That's the beauty of going cheap in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            Because I wouldn't want to put much money into it. I'm not a good candidate for that car for several reasons, not the least of which is timing.

In my defense, I did say cheap relative to other racing. And no, I wouldn't destroy and rebuild. I'd destroy and scrap. If I only got a couple of events out of a car, that'd be fine. That's the beauty of going cheap in the first place.
            Have you considered lemons racing?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              Im reading it but not believing it. Sharing expensesn with team drivers helps but still looking at some money. Would love to get in there one day. After couple years of scca club racing, drag racing just became meh. If someone gets a gig together im in.

Comment

Briefly. I think it's a time commitment that I can't handle.

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                  Im reading it but not believing it. Sharing expensesn with team drivers helps but still looking at some money. Would love to get in there one day. After couple years of scca club racing, drag racing just became meh. If someone gets a gig together im in.
                  We spend between $5-700 per person for a weekend of racing and that is with free towing fuel and camping at the track.

Comment

Our arrive and drive seats run 1k per race, everything included, except race suit/gear. A&d seats are a hell of a bargain when you consider you don't have to buy/prep/transport a car.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

That ZX2 is the ticket.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                        We easily have $10k+ in this car. The cage alone was 2500.

I'm advertising at TWS this weekend during the WRL race. Hope I get some traffic on it. I need space in our shop as a friend is bringing a 1965 impala SS 2 door that I am going to put a 525hp LS3 cruise and connect package into. Can't wait to start that project!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                          My parents have some land outside of Italy that they don't do a whole lot with and I spend a lot of time thinking about taking a bobcat down there one weekend, scraping a track out, and hooning one of my beaters to death. This thread is danger.
                          There is a possibility I will be purchasing a Bobcat in the near future, with the intent to use for my need, and re-sell. I'll let you know if/when I make it happen.

Blake - A buddy of mine has a Datsun for sale. I can't remember year or model, but I do know it's turbo 2 seater. Upgraded wastegate, boost controller, etc. Runs great, looks ok, interior is pretty shot. $1000
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

fook yeah!

Hey coop, shoot me some info on the datsun. Might need some stuff for mine

Comment

Our arrive and drive seats run 1k per race, everything included, except race suit/gear. A&d seats are a hell of a bargain when you consider you don't have to buy/prep/transport a car.
                              Very tempting. Need to get back out there sometime.

Comment

Would a compact truck be a good candidate?

Comment

Working...
                                X