True Grit remake? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
    If you told me that "x" movie was the greatest john wayne movie ever, and "y" movie was only a decent, or crappy modern flick made today, i'd watch the y way before even thinking of watching x.
    And thats why I said it boils down to a matter of opinion. Me personally.... If I see a movie from 1930 and the remake was a 2010 version I will simply state which I liked better based off of which I thought was the better film.

There really isnt a way to say which is better other than time. As many that are faily young have stated, they dig on the old John Wayne westerns. Only time will tell if the newer version will have the same type of following. The original True Grit is considered a great classic. In my opinion, the new one will not reach that level.

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
    ALL Coen brother movies are slow, that just kind of comes with what they do. I haven't had time to go see this, but I'm very excited to.
    Dont get me wrong, I like some of their stuff. Example, No Country for Old Men was very entertaining even during the "non action" scenes. I just didn't get that vibe from this one.

When you get a chance to see it, by all means post up your thoughts. I would be interested as to why you liked/disliked one over the other.
    Originally posted by mutherjuggz
    That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
      Who cares. Old movies were made with shit graffix and new movies look better then there. Old counter parts. Gee how some people like to bitch. Joking.
      I don't know what the fuck you said there, but the original didn't suffer from poor special effects or lack of technology.
      If you told me that "x" movie was the greatest john wayne movie ever, and "y" movie was only a decent, or crappy modern flick made today, i'd watch the y way before even thinking of watching x.
      Yeah, but you've already proven your judgment is shit anyways.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
        .Yeah, but you've already proven your judgment is shit anyways.
        you have a preference in the tubbiest of tubs, so. . ..we both have shitty judgment?
        sigpic

Comment

I saw the movie last night and thought it was damn good.

Comment

are you saying you don't like John Wayne "pilgrim"

Comment

you have a preference in the tubbiest of tubs, so. . ..we both have shitty judgment?
              No, you misunderstand - I prefer fatty vagina over no vagina, but it's not my preference.
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I'm torn. It was a decent movie but I didn't like Bridges' character as much as Wayne's. I really liked Damon, and Barry Pepper played Ned Pepper almost exactly the same as Robert Duvalle.
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
                  I'm torn. It was a decent movie but I didn't like Bridges' character as much as Wayne's. I really liked Damon, and Barry Pepper played Ned Pepper almost exactly the same as Robert Duvalle.
                  That right there is a great way to word it. I just didn't think Jeff was cut out for this role. IMO he couldn't deliver the lines like John Wayne. My post wasn't to say that is was a bad movie. It was indeed a decent movie, just not as good as the original.

Still a bit torn on some of the scenes that were changed up. Not to sure whether I liked or disliked.....
                  That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

I don't think it was the way he played the character, I think it was more the way the character was written. Most, maybe all, of his lines that were word-for-word from the original were delivered well.

Spoiler alert, white text:
                    I didn't like that he was *that* much of a drunk. A little over the top. There were too many scenes, too close together, with the WTF? speechless stare. The shooting contest was just dumb.

Damon was greatness, though. He took the cocky dbag that Glen Campbell was, and blew it away. Most of the dialogue between him and Bridges was much better than the original, especially the scene around the fire.
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Your right about Matt Damon. He did damn good in that role. I just couldnt get past how Jeff sounded while delivering his lines. I guess because I know that isn't who he is. Or maybe westerns are not his forte'. I knew he was trying to deliver his lines. John Wayne was just "John Wayne" and never seemed to have to "act" in his westerns. It didn't seem to matter what movie it was, he just always delivered the lines as only he could. I hope that makes sense....

Comment

Outstanding movie in every way. Dialog was very good, I really like how they developed the characters, everyone did a great job. A very fun movie.

Anyone who thinks this movie is slow, then you don't want to watch the earlier Coen brothers movies (Barton Fink, Miller Crossing, Hudsucker Prox.)

Comment

I'll agree with most that it's an excellent movie. I was skeptical when I first heard about it, but the end result is top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                            Outstanding movie in every way. Dialog was very good, I really like how they developed the characters, everyone did a great job. A very fun movie.

Anyone who thinks this movie is slow, then you don't want to watch the earlier Coen brothers movies (Barton Fink, Miller Crossing, Hudsucker Prox.)
                            I totally respect everybodies different opinions. But what made you like one over the other? Outside of this forum, I am getting a 60/40 split towards the original. But a lot of the guys that like the new one, admit they have not seen the original.

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                            I'll agree with most that it's an excellent movie. I was skeptical when I first heard about it, but the end result is top notch.
                            I will admit that I went in with the intent of not liking this movie at all. I felt that True Grit is just a movie you can't touch and should be left alone. Not sure I dont feel that way now, but not sure I do either. Still don't like that the scenes were changed.

My thoughts on the characters...

Rooster:
                            John/Jeff... Jeff didn't come close to John's version of the character. The way the lines were delivered as well as the way the character was played.

Mattie:
                            Kim Darby/ Hailee Steinfile.... Hailee did a very fine job. She came across as very smart. But to bad she came across as just that. While Kim Darby (original Mattie) not only came across as very smart, but equally annoying. And thats how the part was written. I dont think we have seen the last of Hailee Steinfield though. (very talented young actress)

La Boeuf:
                            Matt Damon/Gln Campbell.... Matt played the role better than Glenn Campbell. Dont know what else to say there.

Lucky Ned Pepper:
                            Barry Pepper/Rober Duvall.... Barry did a damn good job. But who can out act Robert Duvall? Its a toss up here as both men did an outstanding job.

Moon:
                            Domhnall Gleeson/Dennis Hopper....This role is hard to really judge because of the way the scene was totally different between the two. But I liked the way Dennis Hopper played it better.

Tom Chaney:
                            Josh Brolin/Jeff Corey ....Again both actors (Josh Brolin /Jeff Corey) played the role good. But I have to say, that Brolin played the role better.

Colonel G. Stonehill:
                            Strother Martin/Dakin Matthews.... Simply WOW!! Dakin sounded just like Strother. I even closed my eyes to listen, and would not be able to tell them apart. Very impressed.

Chen Lee/Rooster's "dad":
                            The remake didn't give him much of a role like in the original..... nothing to compare.

The rest of the bit players did OK I guess since they really didn't do much. Though the crazy brother in the gang was pretty entertaining as well.

Over all a decent movie. Still hold to my opinion it is not as good over all, and will not have the following as the 1969 version. But I will admit I didn't think I would like it at all, and it turned out to be a decent movie after all. Far from excellent.But it was a nice surprise.

Sorry for the long post. Its just that I am interested in why you choose one over the other.

Comment

Originally posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
                              I totally respect everybodies different opinions. But what made you like one over the other? Outside of this forum, I am getting a 60/40 split towards the original. But a lot of the guys that like the new one, admit they have not seen the original.
                              I haven't seen the original. In fact, I have never seen one John Wayne film. I'm not a big western fan. I saw this movie based on the directors. TruGrit was such a big film for one of the most famous actors ever, so I can see how this movie would be big shoes to fill as a film maker

Comment

I think some movie deserve a remake to make the actinand effect better. Clash of the titans is one that brings to mind of remake.

Comment

Working...
                                X