No announcement yet.

Infamous Idle surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, rewriting it was work. But I bought it for $5600 of my own hard earned cash when I was 17 and I'll be 30 next month. I am going to use HPP to tune it. Maybe give them a call on the chip question..? Otherwise set the fp to 40ish, timing at 12 to 14 advanced, check the mass air setup as mentioned, clean IAC and TB as mentioned, try a couple different base idle rest procedures. There are several. Give a consistent voltage to the ecu and when none of that gets you there, give up and go get it tuned. Good luck.

Comment

Doesnt matter if it only has 30k on it. Those wires are still 20 plus years old.

Car has alot of problems for a car with only 30k on it as well imho. Its just normal crap. I got around the idle surge back in the day with a adjustable mass air meter. It had high and low values. I forget what it was called, But now days id buy a way to tune it yourself. plug and play megasquirt 2 would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        Doesnt matter if it only has 30k on it. Those wires are still 20 plus years old.

Car has alot of problems for a car with only 30k on it as well imho. Its just normal crap. I got around the idle surge back in the day with a adjustable mass air meter. It had high and low values. I forget what it was called, But now days id buy a way to tune it yourself. plug and play megasquirt 2 would be good.
        A lot of problems for a 21 year old car? So the miles on the wiring don't matter? How about how long they are exposed to elements vs a 150k mile car. I worked on aircraft with wiring that was 50 years old... I don't need a lesson on wire maintenance from you. I am not sure if you are trying to be an asshole or just trying to question whether it has the mileage it does? It has an idle surge at warm up which 95% of foxes have and a weird idle issue when the AC comes on.

Car has aftermarket heads/cam/intake... Not sure you have been following. Car runs great. If you don't have any help other than "get it tuned"... then I'm not sure why you are here. A tune will likely happen down the road but I'm trying to get the car to run as good as possible prior to that. Can you not respect a guy that wants to turn his own wrenches some?

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
        Man, rewriting it was work. But I bought it for $5600 of my own hard earned cash when I was 17 and I'll be 30 next month. I am going to use HPP to tune it. Maybe give them a call on the chip question..? Otherwise set the fp to 40ish, timing at 12 to 14 advanced, check the mass air setup as mentioned, clean IAC and TB as mentioned, try a couple different base idle rest procedures. There are several. Give a consistent voltage to the ecu and when none of that gets you there, give up and go get it tuned. Good luck.
        That's awesome and good on ya! I didn't pay a ton for this car so I know where you are coming from. I sold my first to join the service and buy an engagement ring...best decision ever though. It would have been cool to keep it all those years. I just turned 30 myself and can appreciate very much the hard work and effort that goes into buying one of your dream cars (for me anyhow).

Comment

Fuel pressure was around 34 w/ the vacuum disconnected. Got it bumped up to just under 40. Next is the IAC cleaning when I have some downtime from the baby.

Comment

Working...
          X