Can my PC handle this monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my PC handle this monitor?

Nvidia surround was getting annoying so I jumped on this.

LG 2560x1080 34 inch 21:9. It was 699 but I talked the store manager down to 680 out the door tax included.

Only bad thing is that it's 60Hz. Coming from 144hz and being able to hold that in FPS too is pretty noticeable down at 60hz but the 34 inch IPS screen 21:9 sold me.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM65-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GBHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408455422&sr=8-1&keywords=lg34um65[/ame]

I'm using 3 GTX 770s with 2gb of VRAM. On some demanding games Im still not at 2GB VRAM with this monitor, neither was I on (5760x1080p) NVidia surround. (Obviously on surround msaa ect.. was turned down lower.)

I like this monitor a lot more than the surround setup BUT I can take it back.
    There is the same monitor that is 3440x1440p.

That's my question: Can 3 GTX 770s 2GB HOLD steady 60Fps on a 3440x1440 screen? They don't struggle at all on 2560x1080p. With vsync off fps shoots to 150 or so but like I said its only a 60Hz IPS, so I have to leave vsync on. If fps wont be a consistent 60 on the 3440x1440p, I don't want to do it.

Even with the GPU horsepower, will VRAM fuck me since I only have 2GB?

pushing 2.8m pixels now with the 2560x1080.

surround pushed 6.2m pixels over three monitors. (ran very well)

the one im looking at would be 4.8m pixels.

This is the one I'm talking about: Its down to 999 from 1300 at frys.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408455951&sr=8-1&keywords=lg34um95[/ame]
    Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM.
    sigpic
    Tags:

Should be fine, but you'll definitely be hitting the vram limit. 1080p can easily eat up 2gb of vram.

Also those 21:9 monitors are slow as shit (response times).

Comment

I guarantee you that nobody on here has a setup like that, and the only answers you are going to get will be theoretical.

Comment

I can test a single 770 2gb @ 4k if you want specifics on vram usage. But my 780's stay pretty loaded @ 3gb usage in 4k. I imagine it would be similar to 3440x1440p.

Comment

I know it was going be right on the line.

Im sure 4k would lock up a single 770 but if you don't mind, I think it would be helpful to know the fps and the mem use of a single card. I'd expect about 10fps lol
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
            I know it was going be right on the line.

Im sure 4k would lock up a single 770 but if you don't mind, I think it would be helpful to know the fps and the mem use of a single card. I'd expect about 10fps lol
            I'll try to get numbers on blacklist, bf4, and anything else I have installed. With my two 780's that are overclocked pretty high, 4k 60fps is very easily attainable in most games. Not sure how my spare rig (770) will fair but i'll def check.

Comment

looking at this one too. For the life of me I cant find the refresh rate..
              [ame]http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-S32D850T-2560x1440-Displayport-Monitor/dp/B00L46WFVQ[/ame]

Well with a little more research it looks like most 1440p monitors are 60hz refresh rate..
              Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

$1000 3440x1440p monitor. Fucking bleed... I thought LG made some of the top panels..

Awesome...At least I know that VRAM isn't limiting me pushing this many pixels. It runs great, awesome resolution and colors, but there is unacceptable blacklight bleed. GAY!
                Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-21-2014, 09:02 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                  $1000 3440x1440p monitor. Fucking bleed... I thought LG made some of the top panels..

Awesome...At least I know that VRAM isn't limiting me pushing this many pixels. It runs great, awesome resolution and colors, but there is unacceptable blacklight bleed. GAY!
                  They make some of the best, but these panels are all TN I believe. That for sure isn't IPS or even M/PVA.

I was going to tell you have you looked at this monitor?

Samsung U28D590D (28inch tn 4k) For the price I hear very good despite being TN. But at 28inches I think it "should" be okay depending on your desk setup. I am thinking about purchasing one locally to replace my dell 3008wfp (so I can use that at work).

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2[/ame]

IF you want to go 1440p, go on ebay and buy a TESTED korean IPS 120hz monitor. They might be tricky to setup on your PC, but some of the monitors are known to do 100hz minimum and some can go faster. Do a google search and you'll find a ton I bet.

Comment

2gb of vram is going to be stretching it. You might get some micro stutter on that. I'm running a 4gb GTX770, might be best to upgrade to those.

Comment

Well it says "IPS" on the box. I think its just shitty QC?

That 4k monitor looks great and one of the salesman actually told me to wait for it, but I really like the 21:9 format and these GPU's are just barely hitting the mark to keep it at 60 fps.

I am really pretty positive I cant handle 4k yet.

Frys said they are getting a shipment in on the 25'th so I'm going to return it then and hopefully I get a better QA'd model. If not LG already sent me a shipping label for a factory RMA.

I expect a lot from a damn 1k monitor..
                      Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

wow that is an ips, color me impressed. but that bleed is terrible, can you return for another model and see how it is?

i would still make the jump to 4k, if you can afford to drop that kinda cash on a monitor you can afford the gpu's. although nothing gpu-wise out today tickles my butthole so I can understand waiting for a "real" refresh.

considering this monitor is weighted towards "photo" pros I would expect a lot more too.

how is the response rate?

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests with ghosting test, 30fps vs 60fps vs 120hz vs 144hz vs 240hz, PWM test, motion blur test, judder test, benchmarks, and more.

Comment

am going to try and go for 2 way SLI 780 TI's when the drop down to around 500. I figure that will be in the next year or so. The regular 780s are about 500 now. I almost bought 2 of those instead of this monitor but after research, everything would be just about the same except for alittle more vram and less power consumption.

Surround gaming was cool, but in all games with such a 5700+ wide aspect ratio about 30% of the left and right sides of the surround setup are stretched abnormally.

Even if I jumped to dual 780TI's the bench wouldn't be much higher than what I bench now. Maybe 1000 points higher in 3.DMark 11 with the 780 ti's.

[/QUOTE]
                          Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-22-2014, 05:58 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Benches mean nothing though, min frames and avg fps count.

But since you have three 770's, that's a lot of gpu power to throw around. Next year hopefully 880's are out.

Comment

Well min FPS is 60 and and avg FPS is 60 since I have 60 hz monitor and just leave v-sync on lol..Should I be using display port for this 3340x1140 resolution? Without V-sync there's no point it tears beyond belief.

I'm using HDMI 2.0 and it says it can do only 2560x1440 but I can select 3340x1440 in the resolution.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X