Stronglifts 5x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronglifts 5x5

Anyone do this? I'm gonna give it a shot till the end of the year and see how it affects my strength..

The best 5?5 workout guide on the entire Internet. Discover how to build strength and muscle doing only three full body workouts per week.

There's an app to track your progress and everything..

I've been doing chest/tri , back/bi , and a leg day with mixed core each workout. (2-3 days a week) for weight training.

I know everyone if different, but I'll try to post my results as it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of Stronglifts 5×5

StrongLifts 5×5 consists of two full body-workouts:

Workout A: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row
    Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift,

You train three times a week, alternating workout A and B, and resting at least one day between two workouts. You never train two days in a row because your body needs days off to get stronger.

Most guys train Monday, Wednesday, Friday. But you can lift Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. As long as you train three times a week, and take at least one day off between two workouts for your body to recover, you’ll get stronger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Progress tracking:
    9/3/14 - Workout A 135, 135, 65 : My weight 199 : felt comfortable to start with. (for reference until now I have only squatted/benched 225-235 comfortably)
    9/24/14 - I'm up to 155. Only been doing this twice a week so far and been mixing in other workouts.
    10/8/14 - Weight up 201 : 175 on squat and deadlift, 85 on overhead press. I've only made it in the gym 2X a week the last two weeks, diet is not the best with snacking late night.
    10/23/14 - Weight 200 : 190 on squat and deadlift, 90 overhead press. Still only making in twice a week, diet remains bad. Need help on empty calorie control.
    01/02/15 - Weight 200 : 190 on squat and deadlift, 90 overhead press. Been 2 months since an update. I did a couple of mixed workouts, did a 3 day hike, was sick/kids sick, had the holidays, and so forth, getting back on the train - Going to ride 190lbs for the next two weeks to build my strength back from taking time off.
    Last edited by mustang_revival; 01-04-2015, 11:34 PM.
    WRX

Sounds similar to DC training.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Ill give it a shot for a few weeks. I prefer working out everyday so I still need exercises to do on my "off day" besides riding my bike and yoga. What else could I get into in between these A & B days?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
        Ill give it a shot for a few weeks. I prefer working out everyday so I still need exercises to do on my "off day" besides riding my bike and yoga. What else could I get into in between these A & B days?
        Cardio. The point of off-days is to allow the body time to heal up. Muscle growth is the healing that occurs after a good work out. Time off is vital: it's the reason some guys who lift heavy-heavy for weeks can literally miss 2 weeks at the gym and actually come back lifting more than their last work out.
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        dont downshift!!

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
          Cardio. The point of off-days is to allow the body time to heal up. Muscle growth is the healing that occurs after a good work out. Time off is vital: it's the reason some guys who lift heavy-heavy for weeks can literally miss 2 weeks at the gym and actually come back lifting more than their last work out.
          So far it's been extremely hard to limit my reps to 5. I have the strength to go up in weight but my form will sacrifice some so I'm kinda taking it easy going to bump up 5 lb per week. My mind is accustomed to hitting high reps this has been difficult to stick with. Squats and deadlifts are looking way better though. Goal is to squat, bench, and deadlift 315 5x5s by March 2015.

Comment

Find your rhythm or try DC training. DC training is controlled negatives to fail for 4 sets. It sucks after 8 weeks or so, I started getting sleepless and felt constantly wired. I did make drastic gains though.
            dont downshift!!

Comment

So far it's been extremely hard to limit my reps to 5. I have the strength to go up in weight but my form will sacrifice some so I'm kinda taking it easy going to bump up 5 lb per week. My mind is accustomed to hitting high reps this has been difficult to stick with. Squats and deadlifts are looking way better though. Goal is to squat, bench, and deadlift 315 5x5s by March 2015.
              Hopefully your deadlift will be much higher than that if that's what your squat is. My max squat (ass to grass) is only about 325, maybe 335(did 315 on tuesday and felt a little left in me) and last monday I did a 330lbs 5x5 deadlift unbroken on each set. Bench is nowhere near those numbers. Good luck though. It's just always weird to me when people have equal or even higher squats than deadlift since the full ROM for a squat should be much larger than for a deadlift.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                Hopefully your deadlift will be much higher than that if that's what your squat is. My max squat (ass to grass) is only about 325, maybe 335(did 315 on tuesday and felt a little left in me) and last monday I did a 330lbs 5x5 deadlift unbroken on each set. Bench is nowhere near those numbers. Good luck though. It's just always weird to me when people have equal or even higher squats than deadlift since the full ROM for a squat should be much larger than for a deadlift.
                My back is real weak and flexibility has always worked against me. Max is not important to me but finding new strength is. For my weight I should be a lot stronger.
                Did anyone have a flexibility test in grade school? Where you reach your toes then touch hands behind your back one arm over one arm under? I always failed that shit even to this day.

Comment

My back is real weak and flexibility has always worked against me. Max is not important to me but finding new strength is. For my weight I should be a lot stronger.
                  Did anyone have a flexibility test in grade school? Where you reach your toes then touch hands behind your back one arm over one arm under? I always failed that shit even to this day.
                  Have you given yoga a shot?
                  WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                    Have you given yoga a shot?
                    Yes it's embarrassing but on the bright side the person struggling the most is getting the best workout. On the brighter side my yoga instructor is a FOX. I try to go once every other week to her class and then do stuff on my own on my off days. Im also into foam rollers and lacrosse balls.

Comment

Unless you're at the pinnacle of your weight training, your personal weight should have little to do with that. There are dudes that weigh far less than me that are a lot stronger than me. Should a 500lbs morbidly obese person lift more than a 230lbs body builder? Just keep lifting. Work on flexibility and mobility. Most people say they want to do it on their own, but the best of the best of anything always have a coach. Keep lifting dude. Just do it smart. If it costs a little money, it might be worth it to get you to where you want to be as quickly and safely as possible.
                      Last edited by jdgregory84; 09-04-2014, 10:54 PM.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                      X