No announcement yet.

Power Outage..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, Electricity rates have skyrocketed from $25/mw/hr to $9,000/mw/hr. Or so I've read

I thought price gouging was illegal

Comment

no outage here in bluff dale . lot of folks with no water because they have exposed bladder wells . my well house is insulated so we're good .
      i guess folks will realize now how unreliable solar and wind is .

Comment

I'm in Prosper. We started with the rolling blackouts about 4am the first day. They were doing 30/30 for a while, then 60/60, then up to 90/90. Went back to 45/45 for most of the night. Came back on just before 7am and we have not lost it again since. So far, all pipes are good. Gas flow was limited a little yesterday, but seems fine now. My mom is in Gunter, and she had a water line freeze yesterday. Her power was off a few hours yesterday morning, then on a few, then off at 11am. Came back on at 9pm for 45 mins. Came on twice overnight for 20 mins each time. It was 48 in the house this morning. The city's water pumps froze, so no water in the lines. We ran them dry, left one open, turned the breaker off for the water heater (electric), and now she's at my house. She has a heat pump, so 20 mins of power doesn't do squat to help her.

Meanwhile, my brother is 4.5 miles from me and never lost power. All the dumbasses in his neighborhood were crying because their water froze at their tankless water heater inflow. Someone called him asking for help because they couldn't get hot water for a baby bottle. Mind you they had gas and power for either stove or microwave, and they had cold water. Some people...

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
          no outage here in bluff dale . lot of folks with no water because they have exposed bladder wells . my well house is insulated so we're good .
          i guess folks will realize now how unreliable solar and wind is .
          Are you in Mountain Lakes?
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
            Meanwhile, Electricity rates have skyrocketed from $25/mw/hr to $9,000/mw/hr. Or so I've read

I thought price gouging was illegal
            I would think turn power back on would take a big power trip to turn on power. So, yeah rate will go up. Just like any power source it has full power at begin until it settles down. Just imagine your hard on, at first its hard then when job is done its back down to size!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
              The Elite are never affected so nothing will ever change.
              I have talked to a few Highland Park buddies and their power has not skipped a beat.

I have only had about four hours of total power in the last 24 hours but I have all of the sinks and toilets on watch and dripping and have completely drained all of the pool equipment. I have a nice gas log fireplace that puts out some serious heat and my hot water is gas and works great.

Pro tip: A 40 degree sleeping bag works great for sleeping at night in a 50 degree house. Cabela's even sells a zero degree one that will have you sweating.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                I have talked to a few Highland Park buddies and their power has not skipped a beat.

I have only had about four hours of total power in the last 24 hours but I have all of the sinks and toilets on watch and dripping and have completely drained all of the pool equipment. I have a nice gas log fireplace that puts out some serious heat and my hot water is gas and works great.

Pro tip: A 40 degree sleeping bag works great for sleeping at night in a 50 degree house. Cabela's even sells a zero degree one that will have you sweating.
                As I understand it’s pretty random. I have family in Houston who have had no power for over 24 hours now and family in Dallas that hasn’t lost it yet. I meant Elite as in politicans or connected to.

Comment

Im in the sticks in the Hill Country west of Austin. We have an awesome co-op. We lost power Friday for a bit and a little Saturday. They fixed the issues quickly. I think because we are in the sticks and there's not many on our "switch" that they haven't put us in a black out.
                  We have a well, and its about 1000 feet from the house. No power/no water. My pump house is well insulated and I have a heat lamp in there.
                  I have a big generator I can "back feed" the house with if I need to, but the well pump is too far and on a separate meter..
                  Ive actually been working in my shop a lot. Its heated by a diesel heater..
                  I should have enough firewood if we have another outage. With all the trees damaged, I'll have firewood for years to come.
                  Some folks are in a bad bind and suffering. We can all hope for a quick warm up.

Comment

As I understand it’s pretty random. I have family in Houston who have had no power for over 24 hours now and family in Dallas that hasn’t lost it yet. I meant Elite as in politicans or connected to.

I have a zero degree Ourdoor Research bag. I've NEVER found a situation where it was not enough. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I own it.

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                    You can check here: http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmpHg.html
                    I'm in Houston, near the Galleria. Incremental price here has doubled in the past few hours - was around $1048/Mwh at lunch and now $2073. I saw some of the $9,000+ yesterday... feel bad for anyone on a variable rate plan.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      I'm in Prosper. We started with the rolling blackouts about 4am the first day. They were doing 30/30 for a while, then 60/60, then up to 90/90. Went back to 45/45 for most of the night. Came back on just before 7am and we have not lost it again since. So far, all pipes are good. Gas flow was limited a little yesterday, but seems fine now. My mom is in Gunter, and she had a water line freeze yesterday. Her power was off a few hours yesterday morning, then on a few, then off at 11am. Came back on at 9pm for 45 mins. Came on twice overnight for 20 mins each time. It was 48 in the house this morning. The city's water pumps froze, so no water in the lines. We ran them dry, left one open, turned the breaker off for the water heater (electric), and now she's at my house. She has a heat pump, so 20 mins of power doesn't do squat to help her.

Meanwhile, my brother is 4.5 miles from me and never lost power. All the dumbasses in his neighborhood were crying because their water froze at their tankless water heater inflow. Someone called him asking for help because they couldn't get hot water for a baby bottle. Mind you they had gas and power for either stove or microwave, and they had cold water. Some people...
                      Are you on the LOLC Facebook page or more importantly the all the other shitposting LOLC offshoot groups?

Comment

Somehow the part of Hurst I'm in hasn't had any outages. The people on the other side of the highway have had it off more than on.

Comment

It seems pretty random to me as well. Haven’t lost power here yet where we live in GP, which would not really be considered elite or politically connected.

Comment

Except it's not really random. There's the Texas Interconnect (grid) and within that there are tons of different different divisions. The demand has been so far above capacity that not only wasn't there enough juice to keep everyone live, there wasn't even enough for rolling blackouts, so any "small chunk" that had an emergency service was prioritized. Live near a hospital - you got electrons by default. Live near a water pumping station or wastewater treatment plant, and you're golden... live in a housing subdivision surrounded by other subdivisions? Sorry 'bout your bad luck. For quite a while yesterday and last night there was so little excess capacity that there was no "rolling" happening, it was just "keep basic services alive."

ERCOT shit the bed on this one. Remember the R stands for 'reliability'

Comment

Abilene made national news since they told everyone there was 2-3 hours of potable water left... then cut it off an hour later. They claim to have one of 3 water plants up and running as of 11am today, but we're not seeing a trickle yet. Firefighters basically had to watch a house burn down last night because they didn't have water to fight it. Our city manager got on TV and said having backup electric generators for our water treatment plants is unnecessary. Although I think there's 100K+ people that would disagree with him.

We've been lucky on the electricity side but it's super spotty around town. My folks have been without stable power since 4am yesterday. It pops on for 8-30 minutes here and there. AEP put out a statement saying the local lines are in really good shape, they're just waiting for electric generation to catch up(and permission form ERCOT) so they can turn everything on.

Comment

first.last@ercot.com

ERCOT Executive Team
                                Bill Magness - President and Chief Executive Officer
                                Jeyant Tamby - Senior Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
                                Betty Day - Vice President, Security & Compliance and Chief Compliance Officer
                                Theresa Gage - Vice President, External Affairs and Corporate Communications
                                Kenan Ögelman - Vice President, Commercial Operations
                                Jayapal Parakkuth - Vice President and Chief Information Officer, ERCOT
                                Woody Rickerson - Vice President, Grid Planning and Operations
                                Chad V. Seely - Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
                                Mara Spak - Vice President, Human Resources
                                Sean Taylor - Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Comment

Working...
                                X