No announcement yet.

Honest question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tons of great input already - the how to fix suggestions - we all sadly know that many of them already have road blocks in place that prevents them from legally happening in any realistic manner. (term limits)

With that said I do not know if it's just my kid's schools or what - but 3rd, 4th, 5th graders are WAY into politics, voting and the election than most of us likely ever were at that age. In my kid's schools they are conservative leaning. Trump, Trump and more Trump....

...the #1 thing I always ask my kids is WHY do they think that? They bring up guns a lot - I explain all sides of the story the best I can and ask them to verify. Right now, they are like "Dad, I know you're telling us the truth/everything" - but I keep pushing them to find facts themselves. At their age they can't understand the cdc, fbi...etc stats, so I know it's not gonna happen, but one day it will.

I'll never forget when I was a gun control nut, arguing with gun nuts and looking up the stats to prove myself right and EVERY ARGUMENT I was wrong on based on facts, and not my feelings/media/what some dipshit was telling me.

Now, when the government start blatantly changing the stats/numbers - you really have no reliable source, but that's an associated but separate problem.

Have your kids trust but verify for themselves the best they can. Twitter is not a news source, Fox etc is not either. I believe most of us are in the middle, but we're being forced to sides by the media, politicians and social media.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

we live in a small rural town so things are a little different . kids hunt every year and are gun safe at an early age . from what i hear they are 90% conservatives and trump supporters . gun control does not work . period . 99% of those committing the crimes dont follow the law anyway . my best argument is show me one city where strict gun laws drove down crime .

best advice i could give a parent is get your kids the hell out of the city and into a rural setting where they can flourish .

Comment

The inflation we are seeing right now is insane. I've seen a 60% increase in my steel cost in only four months time. Just got a big drywall increase.

The inflation is worse than 08. Go buy a spool of romex, and it hasn't even hit all the way!

I got a email that there is a glue shortage for ply products last week. Osb is already $40 a sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
          The inflation we are seeing right now is insane. I've seen a 60% increase in my steel cost in only four months time. Just got a big drywall increase.

The inflation is worse than 08. Go buy a spool of romex, and it hasn't even hit all the way!

I got a email that there is a glue shortage for ply products last week. Osb is already $40 a sheet.
          I bought two windshield wipers and four turn signal bulbs from autozone, forty freaking bucks. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post

That doesn't sound like inflation.

Comment

want a shock , check the price of a wood burning stove today .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                want a shock , check the price of a wood burning stove today .
                Want to be shocked even more? Google EPA and wood burning stoves and you'll find out that the EPA is doing their ever-loving best to find a way to regulate them because they have uncontrolled emissions.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  ...I keep pushing them to find facts themselves. At their age they can't understand the cdc, fbi...

I don’t trust those people’s “facts” anymore. They control the narrative and their facts may not jive with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    It starts at home. Each and every one of us and those like us need to teach their kids a few things.

1) Change your own damn oil.
                    2) Respect those who deserve it beginning with your elders and women.
                    3) God is real. Faith is powerful. There is a heaven and hell. Choose wisely and pray often.
                    4) Help those around you when you can but remember, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
                    5) Someone always wants what you have, no matter where you are in the pecking order. Defend what is yours always.
                    6) Gun control means hitting what you aim at and nothing else.
                    7) Always have a backup plan and a getaway plan.
                    8) Never depend on someone else to give/leave you anything. Expect to earn your way at everything and any gifts are bonus.
                    9) The government is supposed to work for you, not the opposite.
                    10) History -- because those that cannot remember the past...

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

I agree with most of your points, except 1 and 3. Nothing wrong with paying for services which helps someone else. I’d say avoid the big name corporations and spend your money with small businesses.

As for 3...that’s a useless debate, but a thing is either true or it isn’t. If it’s true we should believe it and if it isn’t we shouldn’t.
                    And if there’s insufficient evidence to find out whether a thing is true or not we should reserve judgement.
                    Faith is the excuse we give when there’s insufficient evidence. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence.

Comment

sometimes faith is all you have .

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        I agree with most of your points, except 1 and 3. Nothing wrong with paying for services which helps someone else. I’d say avoid the big name corporations and spend your money with small businesses.

As for 3...that’s a useless debate, but a thing is either true or it isn’t. If it’s true we should believe it and if it isn’t we shouldn’t.
                        And if there’s insufficient evidence to find out whether a thing is true or not we should reserve judgement.
                        Faith is the excuse we give when there’s insufficient evidence. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence.
                        lol I'll rephrase to say learn how to change your own damn oil. That work? I'm all for helping out someone else, especially the independent, small business guy. That being said, you should know how to do some basic things and not depend on someone else. I can simply point to the latest freeze. Some people were screwed because they didn't know how to do some basic plumbing.

As for Faith, each person is different. I totally understand your point. I've walked an up and down path in life. I believe. I'll leave it at that.

Hope you and Colby are well. I hope to see him on the bump this spring in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          lol I'll rephrase to say learn how to change your own damn oil. That work? I'm all for helping out someone else, especially the independent, small business guy. That being said, you should know how to do some basic things and not depend on someone else. I can simply point to the latest freeze. Some people were screwed because they didn't know how to do some basic plumbing.

As for Faith, each person is different. I totally understand your point. I've walked an up and down path in life. I believe. I'll leave it at that.

Hope you and Colby are well. I hope to see him on the bump this spring in a game.

I understood what you meant. I was just being obtuse. [emoji51]

Colby is pitching well. Sitting at 92. He had the best ERA, WHIP and Ks on the team during fall scrimmages. His entire team, a team that’s leading the country in HRs now, has 1 hit against him in 8 innings of scrimmage.

And he has yet to see the field. [emoji849]
                          He’s getting frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                            sometimes faith is all you have .
                            Yeah but if that's true, then the next logical step (two so far, why stop there) is that you don't need it. If it's all you've got, and it's best to just reserve judgement until you know, then you don't need any faith.

There's nothing wrong with "i don't know". We'll all die not knowing all kinds of amazing shit that would've totally changed our lives and our whole perspectives on life and many other things. We'll never know it. Fine, obviously we don't need to. We seem to be functioning humans either way. Born, live, die... all the life cycle of a human organism. Works great.
                            WH

Comment

my pop always said " aint no atheist in foxholes " . at times faith is all that keeps you fighting on instead of just giving up .
                              i can remember my grandad talking with one of his good friends that wasn't a believer. he would tell him " i can spend my life believing and if i'm wrong i'll never know but if i'm right you just might have a problem " . faith is free but has a pretty good return .

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                                Colby is pitching well. Sitting at 92. He had the best ERA, WHIP and Ks on the team during fall scrimmages. His entire team, a team that’s leading the country in HRs now, has 1 hit against him in 8 innings of scrimmage.

And he has yet to see the field. [emoji849]
                                He’s getting frustrated.
                                Yea, it's tough on true freshmen, especially with all the COVID extra year guys. I'm, worried about that for Jordo next year. Going to be tough as a freshman on that roster for sure. If Colby just keeps working, he'll get his. Next time he throws, get some vid. I know a few guys that are going to want to follow him the next 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X