No announcement yet.

Wanna Hear Something Totally Messed Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Hear Something Totally Messed Up?

I know someone (let's call him Bob) who works for a company that has had all of their employees working from home since around this time last year, and plans to keep it that way through this summer, at least. Bob has worked from home for several years, anyway, so it's all the same to him.

Bob has been with this company for several years, does a great job, and always gets high scores on his annual reviews. (For the review format, each employee is ranked on lots of different categories and sub-categories with a score of 1-5.) Bob gets mostly 5s and some 4s, consistently. Bob gets merit increases to his salary, based on these annual review scores.

The company Bob works for is unapologetically liberal-leaning, pushing out statements supporting BLM, using keywords like "diversity" and "inclusion", "social justice", etc. Bob doesn't really care. Bob is white, but doesn't think that makes him different or better than others. Bob just sees people as people. He's pretty much apolitical, and in his personal life, he doesn't get involved in the talking points on either side. Bob doesn't mind that others have different viewpoints from his own. Deep down, maybe Bob thinks it's a little weird that the company is so vocal about this stuff, but he just wants to do his job at a high level, so that's what he stays focused on.

The company recently started talking about some upcoming trainings that they want everyone to attend over the next few months. They haven't been rolled out yet, but soon. These trainings are supposed to go over diversity, inclusion, biases, and even one specifically about white privilege. Bob just rolls his eyes (in private), but fully intends to attend the trainings if they are mandatory. This part is a little annoying, and Bob has some feelings that the white privilege talk is at least borderline inappropriate, but he's not going to make a fuss or let it interfere with doing the best job he can.

Keep in mind - everyone at this company is working from home. In the day-to-day dealings with lots of different people in lots of different departments, Bob emails with people that he has never met, and has no idea what race most of them are, and has never even thought about that, because it has nothing to do with the work that needs to be done. But, there's pretty much zero opportunity for Bob or the other employees to practice or affect diversity and inclusion, given that everyone is racially anonymous, and socially distanced to the furthest degree.

So today, Bob has his annual review covering 2020. High scores down the list, as expected, until they get to a category called "diversity and inclusion". This is a new line item on the review. Bob is given a 3 out of 5 for this category and all of its sub-categories, and when he asks why, he's told that a directive was given from "higher-ups" in the company, that "everyone" should be rated with lower scores, because it's a really big focus for the company, and they want employees to acknowledge that they need to be better at it, attend the upcoming trainings, and have room to improve next year's score.

This bothers Bob in several ways. First, he's never been presented this as a goal or something he'd ever be measured on. It's brand new. Second, how was/is he supposed to affect these things when everyone is working from home? Third, how can they even assume that he (or anyone else) is not completely "woke", and that they don't already exemplify these qualities every day? They aren't around him. It doesn't come up in their daily work-related conversations or duties, and they really just have no idea.

Here's the kicker. Bob wonders if they are truly giving the lower scores on this to everyone. Are the black and other minority workers getting 3s, too? He asks, and isn't given a straight answer. Bob can't help but wonder if only all of the white employees are being scored lower on this. There's really no sensible way for him to try to find out, but either way, he's a little riled up about the whole thing.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know that this is actually happening for sure, but it seems to me that IF the company is giving out different scores on the reviews based on the employees' skin color, then wouldn't that be textbook discrimination?

If I know Bob, he'll probably just roll with it and move on.

Personally, I think it's fucked up.

TL/DNR? Cliff notes: Bob is white. Bob works for a company with liberal views. The company is rolling out mandatory trainings with topics like "white privilege". It's possible that the company is giving out lower scores to white people on their annual reviews, stating they need to improve on "diversity" and "inclusion".
    Last edited by jluv; 03-04-2021, 12:41 PM.

Time for Bob to biggity bounce to a new career or start his own thing.

Comment

Bob has three options.

1. Comply. Be a good little worker and do everything they want, apologize for his skin color and stay employed.

2. Quit. Bob can put in his notice and hope that everyone else does as well, letting them know that hard work is the only thing that matters.

3. Resist. Go out on a limb knowing full well that it's probably going to get chopped off. Try to challenge it in court, try to get the media involved, etc.

Number 3 is probably going to go nowhere but the unemployment line, so Bob either has to suck it up and stay employed, or find somewhere else to work.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        Bob has three options.

1. Comply. Be a good little worker and do everything they want, apologize for his skin color and stay employed.

2. Quit. Bob can put in his notice and hope that everyone else does as well, letting them know that hard work is the only thing that matters.

3. Resist. Go out on a limb knowing full well that it's probably going to get chopped off. Try to challenge it in court, try to get the media involved, etc.

Number 3 is probably going to go nowhere but the unemployment line, so Bob either has to suck it up and stay employed, or find somewhere else to work.
        Bob's going to keep working hard and collecting his check, but he isn't going to apologize to anyone for being white.

Comment

I dont know Bob's business, but I bet there are other companies doing similar things. If he is as good as the story says, go to a REAL Headhunter that works in his field and look for a better deal. Use all of his past reviews as a back up to his resume. A good Headhunter makes his money placing top notch people. I know, I was in that business for 20 plus years after leaving corporate America . I was self employed. Maybe Bob could do what he does as a private contractor. Being self employed has many pit falls, but the benefits out weigh to bad. Good Luck Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            Bob's going to keep working hard and collecting his check, but he isn't going to apologize to anyone for being white.
            Is Bob you? I feel like Bob is you.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
              I dont know Bob's business, but I bet there are other companies doing similar things. If he is as good as the story says, go to a REAL Headhunter that works in his field and look for a better deal. Use all of his past reviews as a back up to his resume. A good Headhunter makes his money placing top notch people. I know, I was in that business for 20 plus years after leaving corporate America . I was self employed. Maybe Bob could do what he does as a private contractor. Being self employed has many pit falls, but the benefits out weigh to bad. Good Luck Bob.
              Bob isn't likely going to change jobs or industries. He's already making more than what other companies in the industry pay. Bob just told me his story and I think it's screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                Truthfully, no. It's not me.

Comment

Bob should pull an "Office Space" and burn the place to the ground.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Bob should swap genders and get all 5's.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      Nah, I know Jared and hes a true straight shooter.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        Best reply yet! This is definitely the way Bobbi should go. See what I did there?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                          Almost. Bob needs to amend his work email signature to include "his" pronouns, rainbow gif optional, PRIDE in bold. You won't ever satisfy them unless you appear to be one of them.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Tell Bob to identify as black and then proceed to call them a racist.

Comment

Bob needs to let us know what company this is, and leak this shit to a local news outlet.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X