Real talk about businesses and money and what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real talk about businesses and money and what to do

In my career I have been fortunate. I will be getting some good monthly amounts starting in August. Not LIFE changing money but enough to play and invest with.

I am not one to just put it all away into a retirement account. I take most current extra money now and manage my own portfolio of various things. We do have retirement accounts too, I am just not an advocate of maxing them out every year.

Last year we purchased and revamped an existing RV rental business and oh BOY has is exploded. We started with 4 units now we are at 12 - most of which are under contract until the summertime. I would like to do other similar things. Place safe bets on small businesses either existing or startups and have multiple sources of cash flow from multiple industries to diversify.

There is another business here we are in preliminary talks about buying as they want to close in May. Have also been looking at purchasing storage facilities. They move so fast though - hard to snag one! Not used to looking at 10 year payouts as a GOOD thing though.

Even thinking of getting into AirBnB'ing a bit. Setting up some "weekend escape" type places. We could also have them for our own personal use anytime we wanted - dual purposes if you will. This has served us well with the RV business as we go camping frequently. We just go to the lot pick whichever one is there and take off. Something we can personally benefit from and financially benefit from.

What businesses or investments are you involved in? Pros cons? Did you start it yourself or buy existing? What investments do you do regularly? Stock it away in a 401k, manage your own, use a financial advisor, or a mix of it all?

Just looking for real stories and situations from people.

I have been in the storage unit business for 13 years now. Money-wise they are pretty much in the black at about 30% occupancy but if I had to do it over again I would buy some land and build it myself. Be careful what you wish for though; it is a Troublesome business to be in and you deal with a lot of roaches. A significant portion of your revenue is in cash so there is some advantages to that.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

rv storage yards are pretty good. cheaper to build and the tenants have a lot invested so they tend to pay . a friend built one and it filled up fast .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
        rv storage yards are pretty good. cheaper to build and the tenants have a lot invested so they tend to pay . a friend built one and it filled up fast .

This, 100%. I've been considering buying some land past Rockwall and doing the same thing. The only problem is the initial expense of paving the place. You're looking at about $6 a square foot by the time all is said and done.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

RV rental will make a killing this year as more people want to vacation but also avoid hotels/crowded areas.

How do you make sure the units aren't crashed/thrashed/left a horrible mess?

I looked into renting one last year and was amazed at what people ask but I'm sure they are getting it.
          1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
          1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
          2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

good road base will do . 3 sided cover and your good to go. having power available brings in the big motor homes. my friend extended his to cover 40ft and has power to each stall . now has more motor homes than travel trailers . security fence and surveillance cameras are a must . we thought about it but really dont have the road frontage for it . we live on a pizza slice

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              This, 100%. I've been considering buying some land past Rockwall and doing the same thing. The only problem is the initial expense of paving the place. You're looking at about $6 a square foot by the time all is said and done.
              How far past Rockwall? You have to go to Greenville before you see anything sub $20k an acre

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

This will be an interesting thread to watch. I'm hoping to be in a similar situation soon, figuring out what to do with 'extra' income. My first instinct is real estate, but I don't want to be a one-trick pony when it comes to passive income.

Since you're looking to diversify, hit up bcoop on here. He and I messaged briefly about some real estate stuff he's into if you're looking to invest some cash.

Comment

I am very interested in real estate as an option. Not owning rent houses though, more along the lines of vacation rentals or "big city escape" type places.

Comment

Look at us all adulting here and talking like grown ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      Look at us all adulting here and talking like grown ups.
                      Hell, the other SVO didn’t even trail off into a “me and a dominatrix and a midget and a donkey walked into an RV” story.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

On mini storage, I feel it is over built in non metro areas. Land cost in desirable areas will make it difficult.

I know a guy with 400 doors, actually sold him the doors. He only does ach transfer/credit cards. No point in it being cash.

Comment

Does not all have to be about storage places. Just curious what you people put money in to get returns. If it is managed, retirement, businesses.....

Comment

Have you considered Gamestop or Fry's? I hear they're cheap right now...

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                              Hell, the other SVO didn’t even trail off into a “me and a dominatrix and a midget and a donkey walked into an RV” story.
                              Yet.....

Comment

Working...
                              X