Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever made any money with sports cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever made any money with sports cards?

I bought some cards back in the day. Bach when cards were all the rage and the cowboys were making it to the big game. Anyway, recently ran across this one after having long forgotten about it. Had it graded and dropped it off at Heritage. I am guessing I may have paid a couple hundred for it, but don't really remember? A point, or even a half point better grade could have been an extra 10 - 20k. Crazy what some of this stuff is worth. I remember turning down a mint Micheal Jordon rookie when I bought this one because I thought $800 was insane. Depending on the grade, some of those have pushed 7 figures.

Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Just wait for the upcoming bloodbath and buy you some bitcoin after you see the price do an 80% drawdown. Hold it for 2-5 years, something like that. Sell. Be glad. Do it again.

I did it. Worked out great! A+ will do again
    WH

Comment

I have a ton of good stuff in great shape like a Chipper Jones rookie card apparently worth 100s of dollars but there’s a catch. Unfortunately as I’ve been reading these cards will only get you good value if you get them graded and certified and that comes with a cost with each card. Once you do that depending on the value of the card won’t net you much. You also have to send them in to do this and they send them back and there are different grades and categories. It’s a racket IMO. Unless you sell to someone who doesn’t require that, but to get the big money you have to spend money to get them certified.

Comment

In this thread a few months ago I posted about this.

Seven years ago a good friend of mine bought a signed one-of-a-kind Anthony Davis rookie card for $16,000, and earlier this year it auctioned for just over $1 million.

Over the weekend, Goldin Auctions netted a record-setting $33 million USD single sports memorabilia auction, which included the two 1986 Michael Jordan rookie cards. What pushed the auction to greater heights was the National Treasures Anthony Davis NBA Logoman Rookie Patch Autograph card, which sold for over $1 million USD. At $1,045,500 USD the card joins a small but illustrious group of trading cards that have reached a seven-figure sellingprice.

He keeps trying to get me to get into that shit, but I don't follow any sports that aren't F1, so I feel like I'd lose my ass somehow.

Comment

i have all my old stuff from the 80's and 90's but it ain't worth crap

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            In this thread a few months ago I posted about this.

Seven years ago a good friend of mine bought a signed one-of-a-kind Anthony Davis rookie card for $16,000, and earlier this year it auctioned for just over $1 million.
            Holy Crap. That is insane. And incredible.
            Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Comment

i still think the market who cares about baseball cards is dying off and the time to make money is now, not wait.

Comment

I still have my ‘86 or ‘87 cards, the ones with the wood plank background. They were SUPER DUPER over printed and aren’t worth much. I have one of the rare cards from this series and it’s valued at $30 �� Oh well, I get a kick out of looking through them every few years.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                  I still have my ‘86 or ‘87 cards, the ones with the wood plank background. They were SUPER DUPER over printed and aren’t worth much. I have one of the rare cards from this series and it’s valued at $30 �� Oh well, I get a kick out of looking through them every few years.
                  87 Topps. It should've been a great series with Bo Jackson, Barry Larkin, Barry Bonds and Will Clark rookies. The cards were overproduced and they decided to release the Tiffany sealed boxed sets that really screwed their value. Donruss really screwed collectors in 88. Then the biggest thing in my opinion was Upper Deck in 89.

It was like Ford and GM building Tempos and Sunbirds when Toyota and Honda were bringing over Lexus and Acura. Only Upper Deck was even further along in quality improvements. Then they decided to flood the market with a second run of their super exclusive Griffey and Randy Johnson rookies. After that it was special subsets everywhere, box toppers, refractors and inserts.

I bought a bunch of Topp's Finest when they came out and the Yankee legends series. I also have a ton of Yao Ming refractor cards and at least one Lebron rookie. I have tubs full of football cards I've never sorted too.

Comment

Working...
                  X