I wanna go fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna go fast!

Currently up on bringatrailer. Bidding at $25k right now and closes in 3 days.

Bid for the chance to own a 400-mph Bonneville Land Speed Streamliner at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #34,346.

400-mph Bonneville Land Speed Streamliner

This streamliner is a piston-engined, wheel-driven land speed car that was built to its current form in 2009. It achieved a flying mile speed of over 400 mph at the Bonneville salt flats in 2010, and was the only gasoline-powered car to do so. The vehicle was initially constructed in 1995 as a 27’ streamliner by Roy Fjastad of Full Bore Race Products. It was sold to sprint-car team owner Junior Kurtz in 2003, and reached 309 mph at Bonneville in 2004 before being purchased in 2006 by the seller, Spectre Performance founder and driver Amir Rosenbaum. It was then rebuilt by Steve Schmalz of Performance Fabrication, with 39’ bodywork styled by aerodynamicist Ken Rappaport and power from a modified Cadillac V8 built by Courtney Hines’ Cad Company. Additional features include an air-shifted Liberty five-speed transmission, twin Garrett turbochargers, a liquid-to-air intercooler, a 10″ Winters quick-change rear end, inline front wheels, carbon fiber disc brakes, and dual parachutes. After completion in 2009, the car was driven to two SCTA class speed records at Bonneville by the seller and co-driver Kenny Hoover. In September 2010 it surpassed 408 mph in the flying mile and flying kilometer while being piloted by the seller at the FIA-timed Top Speed Shootout at Bonneville. It has been in storage for the last 10 years and will require a mechanical refresh before returning to the salt. In additional to gasoline, this streamliner is also capable of running on methanol or alternative fuel, and the seller has outlined suggested modifications to pursue higher speeds. It is now offered on a bill of sale in Redwood City, California with a collection of spare parts, as well as documentation of its construction and Bonneville achievements.

The original build utilized a drop tank from a McDonnell F-101 Voodoo jet fighter to form the nose cone and portions of the bodywork. The car was acquired without an engine in 2006 by the seller, who endeavored to transform it into a car capable of 400 mph. After experimenting with modifications to the existing body, the seller enlisted Steve Schmalz of Performance Fabrication in San Carlos, California to redesign and rebuild the structure, resulting in its current appearance.

The frame was rebuilt to a length of 39’ with a narrowed rear track of 20” and a tubular body measuring 29” in diameter. The revised shape and dimensions were designed by aerodynamicist Ken Rappaport, and new aluminum panels were fabricated by Schmalz’s team, though the nose cone was retained. Closeups of the bodywork are included in the photo gallery below, as are images of the vehicle with the outer panels removed.

etc.
    Way more at the link

Are you pulling the trigger on it when the next $1,200 stimulus check hits the account?

Comment

That'd be one way to kill myself and make all this 2020 nonsense end.

Comment

Damn what a nice find, the parts alone are worth the starting bids, but I'm sure it will creep way past that, but you never know...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
          Damn what a nice find, the parts alone are worth the starting bids, but I'm sure it will creep way past that, but you never know...
          This car was built in 2010 or so... a couple years ago when Danny Thompson brought his dad's Challenger II back to Bonneville to run 450 mph someone asked him what it would take to build and race it again, today, from scratch. He said in the neighborhood of $3M.

This car is not Challenger II level (twin engine, all wheel drive, etc), but it sure as shit wasn't a cheap build.

And FWIW in 2019 Challenger II, with all of its pedigree, and having gone 448 mph in 2018, went to auction and was expected to bring in $1M - $1.5M. It sold for $510,000 (including the truck and trailer that brought it in)

And as one more post-script, Danny is now living on social security, he says his wife hasn't had a reliable car to drive in three years, and Challenger II was one of his last disposable assets left to sell...

“I made the biggest mistake you can make in motorsports. I borrowed money to go racing.”
          - Danny Thompson, 2019

All Danny got for the 2018 piston-driven record run was a hat.

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
          Are you pulling the trigger on it when the next $1,200 stimulus check hits the account?
          See above. I'm pretty fucking retarded, but I'm not a masochist.
          Last edited by Strychnine; 07-24-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

What a sad story and an end to an era of building one of the baddest vehicles on the planet.
            I remember going to the track during the FFW events and it was expensive, by the time you towed your car to the track, entry fee, slicks/tires, race fuel, N2O, food for the entire three day event and god forbid breaking something, which in my case was just about every race, it was an expensive hobby. I can't imagine buildong and going racing for a top speed record at Bonneville.
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Damn, I'm not sure if you're serious or joking, but I'll live vicariously nonetheless.

Comment

The most fun I have had racing so far is in racing my pile of shit 89 T bird that cost almost nothing. I beat some ass in that thing though, most of it off the light.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  Damn, I'm not sure if you're serious or joking, but I'll live vicariously nonetheless.
                  Maaaan, I have a spot to keep it, and we're not having kids...

That old adage of "How do you end up with a million dollars in racing? Start with 5 million." Yeah, can't do that. I did mention it to the wife today, who knows very well that the only sport I really follow is F1 (I make her wake up early on Saturdays and Sundays to watch qualifying and races from bed ), and that the only thing I'd like to do with a car at this point is LSR, and she said, and I quote, "you're retarded."

The 200 club is one thing, but the 400 club is next-world type shit.

Bidding is up to $32,000 with 3 days to do. What a shitty ROI
                  Last edited by Strychnine; 07-24-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Group buy? I got 5 on it...

Comment

I'll chip in. DFWM 500mph club?

A 5.0 with 5k should push that thing close to Mach, right?
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Ls-swap with some Wuhan war whistles should do the trick!

Comment

Well that was wild. $33,000 this morning with a few hours left, then it went from $51,000 to $175,000 in the final 30 minutes.

New owner also happens to be president & CEO of LabWare Inc, and said it will run at Bonneville again.

Last edited by Strychnine; 07-27-2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                            Wuhan war whistles
                            Holy shit! that's the best thing I've ever heard lol i am so steeling this.

Comment

Working...
                            X