Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you worried about sending your kids to school this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    Additionally, the vast majority of the new cases have been younger people. Lots of Gen Z’ers. On one hand, that is pushing the death rate down but on the other hand it is causing a lot of hospitals to be flooded with cases. That’s why we’re hearing stories of ICUs being pushed beyond capacity. This is one reason we’re hearing stories that the death rate may soon rise a lot. I’m hoping that isn’t the case.

The bigger fear here is that these young folks are going to pass this off to the elderly. I’ve got my fingers crossed that older folks are still keeping themselves isolated for their own protection.
    We are at 100% capacity here, not just ICU but all patient beds. Our sister hospitals the same, as well as out of network facilities. We had to transfer to Bedford as this was the closest hospital that could receive patients.

As far as the younger generation it is hit and miss with them on severity. Last week I get called to ICU to setup a Final Visit so I head up with our iPad cart. As I walk in you see staff around the room so I step to the side and start setting up the meeting. I hear them say it is going to be family on the call and the Chaplin will be on as well to perform the last rites. I am vaguely listening when I hear them say that it is the dad and someone will be going in to the with the patient as they take them off life support, not uncommon during this as all of the COVID deaths in our county have been the elderly. Wasn't till I saw the man putting on PPE to enter the room that I realize he is the dad, the patient is the son. He was in his 20s, no underlying health conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
      And that is another narrative that is pushed, increased testing = more positives. While of course that is true, BUT if things were truly getting better the percentage of positives would be going down, not up.
      If you look at the infection rate, which is in direct correlation with testing/results, it is going up. THIS is the number we should be focused on and worried about.
      In May if you tested 1000 people you would have 30 positive test results, now you test 1000 people 150 will come back positive.
      It's an uncontained virus. No BS is going to stop this thing from running it's course. So again, when you can tell me how you plan to cure the common cold and common flu, then I'll listen to your Covid plan.

Fact, nearly everyone is going to get this thing. Fact 2, some will die and most will not. Period. No posturing, no face diaper, no amount of fear will change those facts. As a medical professional, media person, or politician spreading fear for votes is irresponsible at best. The H2N2 flu of 1957/8 was just as bad or worse than this virus and no one destroyed the economy or pissed on the Bill of Rights for it.

1.5 million died of TB in 2018, but no one gave a care in the world about that.

This is all exaggeration done for political gain. You as a 1% as much as you do about Covid the stress alone would kill you and they could count that as a Covid death too!

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
        I have plenty of family and friends that work in the medical field. I also have the pediatrics association saying all kids should return to school. I never said it was a "liberal conspiracy." Your assumption on that point shows I hit a nerve and there is some truth to what I am saying. What I said is this is a crisis being taken advantage of by politicians. That is nothing new.

Also anyone above shoe size IQ knows a virus cannot be "cured," which makes all of this behavior even more suspicious. A virus is gonna virus.

Since you work in a hospital and know everything, please tell me when you are going to roll out the cure for the common cold, common flu, and then I will listen to you about doing all this BS to wait for the Covid cure.
        You exactly called it a liberal conspiracy without saying liberal conspiracy. "Please put down the Kool Aid. This is all BS and will leave the room like a stale fart once the election is over. You’re being played by a party and media that have no plans, but they want your votes."

In order to curb this shit, and get back to whatever our new normal is, there will need to be a vaccine and/or effective anti-viral drugs. Herd immunity will not be achieved without some sort of both. We can not lock down but for fucks sake this shit needs to not be politicized by either side and maybe the election will end that. That has blinded any common sense approach to the virus.

Comment

And that is another narrative that is pushed, increased testing = more positives. While of course that is true, BUT if things were truly getting better the percentage of positives would be going down, not up.
          If you look at the infection rate, which is in direct correlation with testing/results, it is going up. THIS is the number we should be focused on and worried about.
          In May if you tested 1000 people you would have 30 positive test results, now you test 1000 people 150 will come back positive.

How many of those 150 have major complications though? Death is obviously the most serious of out comes, and one trackable statistic, but what percentage of the percentage of the population that gets Covid-19, is experiencing more than even major flu symptoms? An entire county could test positive, with most having minor symptoms, but that 90%+ infection rate in and of itself does not justify shutting down the economy, other than to placate peoples irrational fear of catching something that poses no real threat to most health individuals.

Comment

Without a cure we will all eventually get it, we are just hiding out as long as we can before we do. Let’s all get together, like a chicken pox party, then get over the whole thing and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              How many of those 150 have major complications though? Death is obviously the most serious of out comes, and one trackable statistic, but what percentage of the percentage of the population that gets Covid-19, is experiencing more than even major flu symptoms? An entire county could test positive, with most having minor symptoms, but that 90%+ infection rate in and of itself does not justify shutting down the economy, other than to placate peoples irrational fear of catching something that poses no real threat to most health individuals.
              Understand and agree 100%, majority will never have more than mild symptoms. Problem is as that infection rate increases, the number of current cases increases, so the small percentage that do have major complications now overwhelm the healthcare system. They may only make up a small number but with higher numbers that small percentage is a bigger number.
              And I know masks and social distancing is a hot political topic right now, BUT if both had been followed in the beginning we would be in a better situation now. They work, just look at the models in other societies across the world that are not in an election year, they have helped in curbing rising infections.

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
              Without a cure we will all eventually get it, we are just hiding out as long as we can before we do. Let’s all get together, like a chicken pox party, then get over the whole thing and move on.

See above:
              Also note that unlike Chicken Pox, no one knows how long, if at all, you are immune to this shit after you recover.

Comment

Only man is arrogant enough to think he can beat mother nature. Life is not fair, viruses aren't fair...

Comment

^^ and mother nature is a cruel, innovative bitch

Comment

Understand and agree 100%, majority will never have more than mild symptoms. Problem is as that infection rate increases, the number of current cases increases, so the small percentage that do have major complications now overwhelm the healthcare system. They may only make up a small number but with higher numbers that small percentage is a bigger number.
                    And I know masks and social distancing is a hot political topic right now, BUT if both had been followed in the beginning we would be in a better situation now. They work, just look at the models in other societies across the world that are not in an election year, they have helped in curbing rising infections.

See above:
                    Also note that unlike Chicken Pox, no one knows how long, if at all, you are immune to this shit after you recover.

I totally get that we should do what we can, but currently we are exponentially overreacting, and graphs like this are part of the root cause. Unless I am misunderstanding, the graph represents hospitalizations (not deaths,) and combined we are talking about .048% of the population being hospitalized, yet 100% of the population is having our lives turned upside down. Even from your POV dealing with an overrun hospital this can't make sense.

Comment

Plan on sending mine in if that option is available. Same as a few others, I think the social isolation provides greater risk long term than covid for them at this time.

We will see what happens over the next month.

Another reason to send them in is the 1-2 hours of work completed per day thing as we saw in the last semester didnt really seem like effective schooling.

If and when another school closing occurs , our ISDs are obligated to step up their game.
                      WRX

Comment

My daughter goes back to daycare on Monday. She really needs interaction with some kids her age. And I'm so over Puppy Dog Pals.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          I totally get that we should do what we can, but currently we are exponentially overreacting, and graphs like this are part of the root cause. Unless I am misunderstanding, the graph represents hospitalizations (not deaths,) and combined we are talking about .048% of the population being hospitalized, yet 100% of the population is having our lives turned upside down. Even from your POV dealing with an overrun hospital this can't make sense.
                          .048% of the population being hospitalized does not sound bad when you look at the number, less than half of a percent is nothing. It would not be a concern if we had a bed in a hospital for the majority of the population, fine catch it and come on in for the bed we have reserved for you. But we don't. A lot of the time hospitals are operating in the 60-70% capacity range daily. So with that 60-70% you add in the .048% of 300m people you have hospitals that are drowning. Patients, COVID and other accute needy, then are unable to receive the care they need. You get into a situation like NYC saw.

In the end everyone at this point has their own opinion and no amount of data, charts, or experience is going to change it. I also don't think anyone has a fit-all answer to this or it would not be changing daily. I hope I am wrong. I honestly hope that school opens and there are no further shut downs due to it. I want my kids to enjoy a normal life. My oldest is going into his sophmore year, high school should be some of the best years of a kids life. This all fucking sucks, most of us have no clue who to trust, who to believe, and at the end of the day hope we are making the right decision.

Comment

.048% of the population being hospitalized does not sound bad when you look at the number, less than half of a percent is nothing. It would not be a concern if we had a bed in a hospital for the majority of the population, fine catch it and come on in for the bed we have reserved for you. But we don't. A lot of the time hospitals are operating in the 60-70% capacity range daily. So with that 60-70% you add in the .048% of 300m people you have hospitals that are drowning. Patients, COVID and other accute needy, then are unable to receive the care they need. You get into a situation like NYC saw.

In the end everyone at this point has their own opinion and no amount of data, charts, or experience is going to change it. I also don't think anyone has a fit-all answer to this or it would not be changing daily. I hope I am wrong. I honestly hope that school opens and there are no further shut downs due to it. I want my kids to enjoy a normal life. My oldest is going into his sophmore year, high school should be some of the best years of a kids life. This all fucking sucks, most of us have no clue who to trust, who to believe, and at the end of the day hope we are making the right decision.
                            I completely hear what you are saying, and believe it to be true, but our government is going at it bass-ackwards. We need to invest resources and funds in building out the hospital infrastructure to accommodate the increased need, not neuter the economy in a failed attempt to minimize new cases. The ends do not justify the means, it's insanity.

Comment

I don't buy into any BS coming from hospitals and they're out of capacity, etc. about COVID. It's already been established that they code stuff certain ways looking for insurance $$$. We also know they've lost money due to elective surgeries being shutdown. Basically, you cannot trust any number you see.

I know a handful of people that have been diagnosed with it. One adult showed mild symptoms. The others, not a trace. I'm pretty sure everyone in my family will test positive for the antigens as sick as the boys were in December and early January. I also know that just this past week some friends took their son into the ER with abdominal pain. Turns out he had a ruptured appendix but they wanted to transfer him to Dallas and treat for COVID. Stop fear mongering and move on with your life. Old people, those with pre-existing conditions, or at high risk need to be careful. The rest of us need to get back to work and tell the politicians to stop making it political. My kids, and my wife, will be in school.

Comment

Son is going back to school mask and all. He needs to be around other kiddos.

He has juvenile diabetes but is very cognizant of his health ie washing hands and wearing a mask. Our school is giving us the option of pulling him back out for virtual if after 6 weeks we don't like what the school is doing. We obviously will pull him out if its a shit show from the start. Its a charter school and so far it seems they have been hardcore diligent in being prepared. They were doing full virtual within a week of the first shutdown.
                                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Working...
                                X