Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a 2005 Navigator with a bad engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    Damn, that thing was clean! Looked bagged in front.
    well, it is.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Damn, that thing was clean! Looked bagged in front.
      lol, they all are.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        well, it is.
        Must have missed that part..

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        lol, they all are.
        Ah, never knew that!

Comment

Prices do seem to be coming down but the 5-7 year old trucks and suv's that were 50k new won't go below $10k for a long time in my opinion. That includes leased f150's that will return in mass numbers.

I'd be curious to see why people feel so strongly that they are going to plummet. More drivers enter each year exponentially. The only way I see it massively declining is if some sort of amazing public transportation occurs or if automated driving takes over. If the autopilot becomes mainstream in the next 20 years, which many predict will happen, then we will see a huge decline. No one will give a shit what cars look like... a econobox will just show up when we call it and deliver us to our location we desire. There may be tiers for luxury but I it will change things dramatically.

A former GM exec that I listened to states he thinks in the next 50 years we no longer will be driving as the transportation industry will see us as a larger liability and worse drivers than the computers. He also believe that closed circuit driving will be available. He mentioned a few private clubs have already started where they build their own track and create garages with living quarters above them. This is how he predicts the future of the driving experience.

I don't really buy into all of that because I think we will have a hard time getting people to buy into it. Old habits are hard to change.

The biggest problem for the auto industry that I see coming is the fact they are loaning on 7 year notes... for a rapidly depreciating asset. Millennials are a bunch of hippie dip shits but they are realizing that big/long car payments are really unnecessary. The new movement is about early retirement and being able to travel/appreciate life.

Comment

Maybe I should think twice about the 2011 crew cab XLT 4x4 I'm picking up for $14k...

Thoughts from the auction folks?

Comment

You are out of your goddamn mind to think the lease trade ins wont bring the price down. If there are 150 2015 explorers with 36k on them at every auction, they wont go for top dollar, they will be begging to sell them. Carmax and autonation (autonation is a new car dealership group) wont flood their lots with a ton of them.

The new car dealers will have a full lot of lease returns, and they will overflow to the auctions. Used car dealers wont pay to have 10 on their lot plan for several months, they will drop the price to move them, just like the dealership used car department.
              This is already happening with Smart cars. There have been a shitload of them going through the auctions and the prices are still the same. Basically some car rental place down in austin had thousands of them and auctioned em off.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                Judging by current pricing, I don't think used car sales are going anywhere,
                Theres a whole lot of factors affecting the market.

+ Inflation and feature creep have caused new cars prices to shift out of the range that the average household can afford. Causing new car inventories to start creeping into troubling numbers for the dealers especially for sedans. This along with the recession is whats keeping the used car prices up for now

+ Cash for clunkers caused the car market values to become inflated and that inflation is set to adjust it self at the same time all of following is happening

+ As mentioned, lease returns are about to slam the market for the next 2-3 years. Supply vs Demand is going to cause the prices for new and used cars to come down.

+ The amount of drivers is actually going down. Ride share, environmentalism, and millennial cultural. Less demand and greater supply means the prices are going down.

+ Then one of the subjects not discussed is the Rental market. A lot of the big players aren't doing well and they have swollen inventory numbers from recession and bail out based deals. That influx of inventory will equal more supply

+ Then the other subject not discussed is how the big chain used car stores like Carmax's have been doing shitty. So they are trying change their direction by cutting prices and doing lots of advertising. Carmax's stock could be a great indicator of what happening to the used car prices.

+ According to a couple article the Mfrs are already getting ready for this drop in used car prices by giving bigger new Car rebates and other dealer provided services (free maintenance,etc).

+ I expect a lot of special models and customization from the MFRs and dealers to help draw in new car sales. Aftermarket parts may have a good market for 5-7 years before the great autonomous car-pocalypse happens. Cant wait to see all fucking that goes on while the car is on auto pilot

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  This is already happening with Smart cars. There have been a shitload of them going through the auctions and the prices are still the same. Basically some car rental place down in austin had thousands of them and auctioned em off.
                  car2go is retiring it's smart fleet. Buddy of mine in Atlanta is picking up 10k mile clean ones for 5-6k every week at the auction.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                    Maybe I should think twice about the 2011 crew cab XLT 4x4 I'm picking up for $14k...

Thoughts from the auction folks?
                    Doesn't sound horrible.

Comment

car2go is retiring it's smart fleet. Buddy of mine in Atlanta is picking up 10k mile clean ones for 5-6k every week at the auction.
                      Yep. I picked up a 2014 with 14K for just under $5k. Oddest transmission I've ever felt.

Comment

Truck market and specialty cars like sports cars will mostly be exempt from the value plummet

It's just a theory, the rust belt importing cars from the south will probably prop up the market for a while. But good news for your kids, the used value of a nissan altima is already complete shit, lots of 2-3 year old models on the market for your kids to wreck

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                          Truck market and specialty cars like sports cars will mostly be exempt from the value plummet

It's just a theory, the rust belt importing cars from the south will probably prop up the market for a while. But good news for your kids, the used value of a nissan altima is already complete shit, lots of 2-3 year old models on the market for your kids to wreck
                          Psh, I bet my Nissan wont depreciate anymore! Ha!
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                            Theres a whole lot of factors affecting the market.

+ The amount of drivers is actually going down. Ride share, environmentalism, and millennial cultural. Less demand and greater supply means the prices are going down.
                            This!

Also, if immigration gets put in check, the cash car market is going to take a hit as well for all the illegals driving $1500 Tahoes and cash pickups running around town too. The only thing that will keep prices up on new cars is costs for employee benefits and then they will have to start finding ways to cut those...unions are fucked at that point because installing door trim for $40/hr plus benefits is going to become a $15/hr job or else.

Some used cars/trucks will retain value just because their NEW car equivalents are far too expensive. I know the 2003-2007 dodge 3/4 and 1 ton market is strong due to the new trucks costing $60k to 70k and requiring DEF... Same goes for the older 7.3's and Chevy's too. I bet there will be other "niche used cars" for years to come that are just cheap to own and last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Psh, I bet my Nissan wont depreciate anymore! Ha!
                              Law of supply and demand. Who's going to want a 92 sentra for $1500 when you can get a 2002 sentra for the same price. Atleast that's why I stopped buying and selling hondas

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                                Law of supply and demand. Who's going to want a 92 sentra for $1500 when you can get a 2002 sentra for the same price. Atleast that's why I stopped buying and selling hondas
                                Yea it's crazy how cheap you can find used cars when you take your time and look..only reason I bought that one is because it had 114k and it was a 5spd.. and it was only $600 and after clutch, axles, belts, rear main, freon, etc.. I'm still pretty close to under 1k.. I'm kinda on the lookout for an ek sedan 5spd.. they can sometimes still be found cheap and I like the look way better
                                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X