93 octane question for my turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 octane question for my turbo

So i have been buying 93 at quick trip since i installed the turbo on my wrangler. Always at the same station. I have noticed that it doesnt run as well all the time. The wife screwed up yesterday and put a full tank of 89 in it. After i calmed down, i dumped a bottle of lucas octane boost it it. Drove it a hundred miles today and i swear its running better than it ever has. My question is does the octane boost make that much difference or is the 93 from qt not really 93. Also anybody know where i can get higher quality and consistent 93 in fort worth area?

I hate Valero 93 octane, and my options after thay are limited. There's one Exxon by me rest are qt/racetrack or kroger/walmart.

Lucas octane booster really doesn't boost octane, maybe 10 points or 1 octane number. Octane boosters that are advertised to work are royal purple +3 octane numbers, vp racing +8 octane, and nos brand with mmt +8 octane. I can't say any of then offer any results better than 93 octane.

It's more likely the lucks helped clean your injectors a little bit rather than boost octane

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
      I hate Valero 93 octane, and my options after thay are limited. There's one Exxon by me rest are qt/racetrack or kroger/walmart.

Lucas octane booster really doesn't boost octane, maybe 10 points or 1 octane number. Octane boosters that are advertised to work are royal purple +3 octane numbers, vp racing +8 octane, and nos brand with mmt +8 octane. I can't say any of then offer any results better than 93 octane.

It's more likely the lucks helped clean your injectors a little bit rather than boost octane
      Im pretty sure the cooler temps helped as well. The intake temp never got above 80 today.

Comment

What's the air fuel? Lean is mean

Comment

Its 14.70:1

Comment

Interesting about QT, I've always had very good results with using their 93 octane fuel, albeit in NA cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
              Its 14.70:1
              I hope that's at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                I hope that's at idle.
                Not really sure. Thats what torque app shows it at. I didnt do the tune, and i never checked it with my intune. Dont really know much about the ratios. Thats a bit above my head.

Comment

It runs nearlly perfect. I just notice its not always as responsive. Just curious if it could be that the fuel is not always consistant. The average person wouldnt even notice because its very subtle.

Comment

You need a real tune dude. You turboed an engine that has a terrible reliability record without boost. Don't cheap out on this.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      You need a real tune dude. You turboed an engine that has a terrible reliability record without boost. Don't cheap out on this.
                      x2

my lightning is tuned on the ragged edge on 93 and I have used the QT in burleson for 93 for 3 years with no trouble

I also have a wideband gauge so I can monitor in real time my AFR at all times

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        Hold up guys. Ur reading way more into it. I did spend the money on an excellent tune. Its been running excellent for 7k miles with no codes and just passed inspection. Im not unhappy at all with the performance. Im just wondering why it runs a little bit better on some gas than others. And also the 3.8 is not really known for unreliability. Underpowered yes. Not appropriate for a 4k lb brick, yes.

Comment

If the octane is down a little, you could have some timing pulled as a result of detonation. If it's very low, you'd likely hear the detonation under heavy loads like taking off, accelerating an on-ramp, passing, etc. A set of plugs probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you're running a basic copper plug, I'd recommend staying away from Champions unless they've got there issues resolved. I know they had a string of bad plugs for a bit a year or 2 ago.

As for a A\F goes, 14.7 is what you want to see at a steady cruise, under boost I'd expect to see something in the 11's or high 10's depending on how much boost you run. Just on tip in and lighter acceleration (no boost or very little like 1-2psi) you'll see A\F in the 13's and high 12's.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                            If the octane is down a little, you could have some timing pulled as a result of detonation. If it's very low, you'd likely hear the detonation under heavy loads like taking off, accelerating an on-ramp, passing, etc. A set of plugs probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you're running a basic copper plug, I'd recommend staying away from Champions unless they've got there issues resolved. I know they had a string of bad plugs for a bit a year or 2 ago.

As for a A\F goes, 14.7 is what you want to see at a steady cruise, under boost I'd expect to see something in the 11's or high 10's depending on how much boost you run. Just on tip in and lighter acceleration (no boost or very little like 1-2psi) you'll see A\F in the 13's and high 12's.
                            Ya i havnt had any detonation issue ever. No fuel knock. Plugs r new. Im probably just imaging that its running a little better after the octane boost. Because i expected it too. Lol. Torque doesnt monitor the afr live. So im not really sure what it is under boost and load. I just know it works.

Comment

Working...
                            X