Can you ID this brush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you ID this brush?

Our property in Rowlett is overrun with this brush. It grows in clumps, grows insanely fast and spreads like wildfire. I have no clue what it's called. Any ideas?

This is one I pushed over a while back:

Can you ID this brush?

Easily half of our property is so overgrown that it's not even usable. It's so thick you can't even walk through it. We're going to clear most of it in our "spare time" but I'd like to know what it's called so I can correctly describe it to people.

Comment

I'm no expert, but that kinda looks like yaupon (yo-pahn) holly

If it's yaupon you can kill it... or you can make pretty awesome tea out of the leaves (they're actually caffeinated like black or green tea - one of those native American things that was lost along the way) My MIL makes some killer yaupon products from their land in central TX and has a whole website built to sell teas
      Last edited by Strychnine; 10-03-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        I'm no expert, but that kinda looks like yaupon (yo-pahn) holly. Have you seen purple or red berries on it in the past few weeks / month? Something like this?

If it's yaupon you can kill it... or you can make pretty awesome (they're actually caffeinated like black or green tea) or jelly/jam with the berries. My MIL makes some killer yaupon products from their land in central TX and has a whole website built to sell teas and jams.
        This is what I picture when I think yaupon:

This stuff we've got grows probably 20' high if left alone. Maybe more. Very spindly and tall but it ends up in these massive clumps because it grows so close together. There are no berries. It has white flowers at certain times of the year. Our bees love it when the flowers are in bloom but I'll gladly plant some more bee-friendly stuff once this crap is gone. Something I can manage.
        Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          This is what I picture when I think yaupon:

This stuff we've got grows probably 20' high if left alone. Maybe more. Very spindly and tall but it ends up in these massive clumps because it grows so close together.

Yeah, that manicured piece is NOT what grows wild... shit gets everywhere. Your pics look a LOT like the big clumps all over their land.

Edited my posts above to remove confusion. Those pics (with the purple berries) I had up were actually beautyberry bushes.
          Last edited by Strychnine; 10-03-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that manicured piece is NOT what grows wild. This is the best pic I have right now if what it looks like on their land. This was just a couple weeks ago. It's fuckin' wild... shit gets everywhere.
            Similar but it looks like the some of the leaves are much larger in your pics. This stuff has really small leaves, plus none of it has any berries.

I drive by Covington's Nursery on a regular basis. I'll try to remember to pull in and see if they can ID this stuff for me.

Comment

Closeup

Comment

Privet

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                  Privet
                  Isn't privet what people use to create a wall out of a hedgerow?

Comment

Yeah, that manicured piece is NOT what grows wild... shit gets everywhere. Your pics look a LOT like the big clumps all over their land.

If someone said the two are related, I'd believe it. Whoever owned the house before I bought it did landscaping with those things. They reproduce like a mofo
                    WH

Comment

Privet

Comment

Working...
                      X