Garage A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage A/C

Has anyone installed a minisplit or put in some kind of garage A/C solution? If so, did you insulate your walls and ceiling?

I have been running our laser almost every day since we bought it and we are busy enough that I just bought our second laser. Heat is an enemy of these machines, so I am worried about the conditions in the dead of summer. Not just for the machines, but the time I spend working out there with them. I have the resources to get the walls insulated, if it becomes necessary.

If you have installed a garage cooling solution, what did you install, how well does it work, and did you insulate walls and ceiling?

Our new machine will be running with a refrigerated water chiller so I have that going for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I have one in what used to be a garage. I pulled the door and insulated the new wall and all exterior walls. System itself is awesome. It's a Mitsubishi system. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a auto setting so you have to personally change it from heat to a/c.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

How big is the garage? Is it freestanding or attached to your house? If attached to the house, are the walls between the house and garage insulated? Does it have a ceiling? If so, is there insulation on top of the ceiling? Do you have big air gaps around the overhead door?

Comment

Garage is common attached and all common walls are insulated. I would say it is about 400 sq ft. No ceiling insulation.

Comment

Can you insulate the ceiling first? AC won't do nearly as well without it
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Garage is common attached and all common walls are insulated. I would say it is about 400 sq ft. No ceiling insulation.

Throw a pile of insulation on the ceiling and get a mini-split. You're looking at $1,000 and you'll have heating and A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
              Can you insulate the ceiling first? AC won't do nearly as well without it
              Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              Throw a pile of insulation on the ceiling and get a mini-split. You're looking at $1,000 and you'll have heating and A/C.
              There is some decking...and junk, up there, but easy enough to work around. This was kind of what I was hoping to do.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

My garage isn't attached to the house so I use one of the larger window units. I stuck it on the back of the building where nobody can see. But if that option isn't available to you cause it would make your place look shitty, then there are indoor options you could go with.

Not sure if that's the best thing for the money, but it's a place to start looking. I think there's several different variants of indoor types.
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  My garage isn't attached to the house so I use one of the larger window units. I stuck it on the back of the building where nobody can see. But if that option isn't available to you cause it would make your place look shitty, then there are indoor options you could go with.

Not sure if that's the best thing for the money, but it's a place to start looking. I think there's several different variants of indoor types.
                  I've tried two different indoor units in my office (14x16 freestanding building) and they couldn't come close to keep the room cool. I ended up with a mini-split. It's crazy quiet (as in, ZERO noise). That's why I chose it over a window unit. If noise is not a concern, a window unit would likely be cheaper than a mini-split. If his garage doesn't have a window, a window unit will require a large opening cut in the exterior wall. A mini-split only requires a small penetration for the condensate lines from the exterior unit to the interior unit.

Comment

Working...
                  X