Chl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chl

So I have looked online and found the list of CHL instructors based off county, however Dallas county is quite large and I dont want to pick someone who is on the East side of Dallas seeing as I live in Irving 75060.

So, my question is does anyone know of a GREAT CHL class that is not only informative, but fun as well?

I dont want Ben Stein teaching my CHL class (monotone) is what I mean by Fun, lol

I would like to get the best deal, though I understand that "you get what you pay for" might apply here where you dont want to cut corners.

Any advice?

And to make sure I understand the process:

-I can register on DPS website now (before CHL class) or later (after CHL class)
    -Take the class and they walk you through everything other than the DPS website stuff
    -Submit payment to DPS along with Class Cert and wait

Please if I have the process or if I am looking at this wrong, let me know. Also, how much did you pay for your class?
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

You can Prepay and fill out all forms/print your packets, and book a time to get fingerprints done, all on DPS website to speed things up.

They have changed things since I took my last class, have to renew next year, but from what I've seen /heard, classes fees are in the range of $75 or so...
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
      You can Prepay and fill out all forms/print your packets, and book a time to get fingerprints done, all on DPS website to speed things up.
      They have changed things since I took my last class, have to renew next year, but from what I've seen /heard, classes fees are in the range of $75 or so...
      Thanks for the heads up!!
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I took mine at Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville and would recommend them.

Classes are $75. Sometime they'll run a special and give a free range pass on completion of the course worth $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
          I took mine at Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville and would recommend them.

Classes are $75. Sometime they'll run a special and give a free range pass on completion of the course worth $20.
          Seems pretty reasonable, thanks for the info

Was the class informative? Anything you wish they had included that was not?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post

Yea, the instructor went over different scenarios that you might find yourself in. It was pretty informative, but class time is just 4 hours, so you'll have to do some reading on your own afterwards. You won't come out an expert on the law for sure.

I've signed up on a couple of CHL forum just to keep up with different things others have experienced and for any major changes that I might not catch otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post

A free pistol and free ammo once the class is finished would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                A free pistol and free ammo once the class is finished would be nice.
                lol I bet

I will look them up, thanks again for the referral.

I've signed up on a couple of CHL forum just to keep up with different things others have experienced and for any major changes that I might not catch otherwise.
                Good idea

Comment

Everyone thus far is quite correct. The class is significantly shorter now, so you will feel that much is missing. It has been difficult to get the required information to students with the new law in effect. I should do a write up sometime so that people on here can get a cliff-notes version of the course and know the high yield materials.

I recommend that you fill out all of the forms and submit payment to the state prior to your class. The DPS may need additional documentation, and it is much better to get that process started now so that you do not have to wait later. You will have 12 months to take the class anyway after you submit the forms, so you are not rushed.

Notes for a good instructor: If your instructor ever says, "this is what you should do in this situation" then he or she is blowing smoke up your rear. There is no correct answer for what to do in any given situation. You will have to judge for yourself and train accordingly in order to prepare. Also, someone will inevitably ask at some point during the class, "what is the best gun to carry." If the instructor gives an answer other than, "the gun which you feel comfortable shooting and fits you the best," then he or she is simply giving you a bias answer. The best carry pistol is the one which you feel comfortable with and can shoot with accuracy.

I carry a glock 26, and I do not show it to my students until we qualify at the range (as I wear it then). I do not, however, tell people that "glock is the best." I just like the features (or lack of) on the pistol.

Anyway, good luck and remember that safety is the most important part of any weapons course.

Comment

Not to hijack a thread but I have a CHL question. I've done the following already:

Applied online and paid the state.
                    Gotten my finger prints at an authorized location (told they submit electronically).
                    Had my CHL photo taken (by the place that did my prints)
                    Signed up for CHL class.

From this stand point, aside from pass the class, is there anything else I need to do or anything I'll need to submit?
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Not to hijack a thread but I have a CHL question. I've done the following already:

Gotten my finger prints at an authorized location (told they submit electronically).
                      Signed up for CHL class.

From this stand point, aside from pass the class, is there anything else I need to do or anything I'll need to submit?
                      No hijack, it is related and a good question for someone like myself who without a doubt will have more questions later, some of them probably repeats, lol.

Comment

i took the florida chl class. it was effortless. 4 hr. class, no range qual, no written test, got my finger prints and picture done in the class. simple

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

Signed up for CHL class.

Once you finish the class, the instructor will hand you the CHL-100 form showing you completed the class. Mail that in and wait...and wait...and wait....

Comment

Once you finish the class, the instructor will hand you the CHL-100 form showing you completed the class. Mail that in and wait...and wait...and wait....
                            This is correct. Make sure you spend the extra few dollars and send it certified. Also, always make a copy of documents prior to mailing them. You never know when the state feels like losing a few applications.

Comment

I submitted my paperwork online. (Scan to PDF and upload). This was per the instructors suggestion.
                              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X