wine/food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine/food

I just recently stopped drinking beer. And as of late have found myself enjoying wine. I am not familiar with too many. What are some good ones to keep on tap for random dinners? I know a red goes with a steak and white with fish etc. What brands do you guys favor?

I personally like Shiraz for a "wild card" wine for any meal. She likes Cab Sauv. You don't have to spend alot - stay in the 10-12 dollar range and you'll find some really nice wines that you can drink alot.

The red/white with food isn't hard and fast - if you are eating a delicate tasting fish or even a meat dish, a light merlot might be great - but a heavy (cab sauv for example) might blow the meal.

I would seriously try a few of the wine bars that serve flights of wines and take notes about what you like about them. You don't have to have a monster palate, something as simple as Blech, ehh, MMM, WOW is enough. Then you can find similar wines based on it.

I don't drink wine a whole lot, but I found what I like and try to grow off that. I don't waste time drinking wines that don't taste good to me. Get a good vaccum sealer to reseal bottles - it sucks having to throw out good wine.

Tonight I'm taking over a bottle of Stag Leap Artemis for dinner and am looking forward to trying it as much as the meal.

Comment

The only good wine is a wine you like. Ask anyone and you will get varying opinions. Go to a wine bar and try some flights of wines the may recommend. Wine Cellar at Starwood has a free tasting every Thursday night catered by Tru Fire. They usually have about 5 up for tasting.

Artemis is a smooth one, always in the cabinet.
      Last edited by AdamLX; 02-25-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Marietta. Damn good california red.
        May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
        Semper Fi

Comment

If you are up in plano, go by Vitners Cellar. Its a wine store, but they will do tastings and give you some great tips, pointers and advice.

Comment

Working...
          X