Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Since you asked

Where is authority to regulate the internet to be found? Oh wait, that's the 10th amendment. FCC has no authority to exist, this is a state's issue.
    Seems like interstate commerce might be applied here since each state doesn't exactly have their own individual net.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      Seems like interstate commerce might be applied here since each state doesn't exactly have their own individual net.
      Lantirn, you know the Commerce Clause and also know it applies to keep states from taxing one another, not to regulate private industry functioning between states.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Lantirn, you know the Commerce Clause and also know it applies to keep states from taxing one another, not to regulate private industry functioning between states.
        It says congress has the ability to regulate commerce among the states, which has been interpreted as any commerce between the states, be it alcohol, cotton, oil, or the internet. As soon as it crosses state lines it falls under something congress can (and will) mess with. I just googled it to double check myself and it does not specifically even say a tax in the clause. It seems regulating the internet (even though I do not like it) is within their powers.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

It says congress has the ability to regulate commerce among the states, which has been interpreted as any commerce between the states, be it alcohol, cotton, oil, or the internet. As soon as it crosses state lines it falls under something congress can (and will) mess with. I just googled it to double check myself and it does not specifically even say a tax in the clause. It seems regulating the internet (even though I do not like it) is within their powers.
          Don't forget products that aren't put into commerce. Wickard v. Fillburn

Comment

Oh, I'm not arguing that the Congress and SC has fucked it up beyond what the Founders decided and actually wrote in the plain English, especially with Wickard V Fillburn.

Comment

Oh, I'm not arguing that the Congress and SC has fucked it up beyond what the Founders decided and actually wrote in the plain English, especially with Wickard V Fillburn.
              What's your evidence to the contrary?
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                What's your evidence to the contrary?
                You mean other than the actual words?

Here's a pretty good breakdown citing the federalist papers and the founders themselves. The Commerce clause was never meant to regulate activity between people or between people and business but rather between states taxing each other and states interacting with foreign nations.

To regulate: to make regular. Pretty simple

Boston University is a leading private research institution with two primary campuses in the heart of Boston and programs around the world.

Comment

We're not much better off in my house than many of you are in the "sticks". I mean, our speeds are faster, but we are limited to DSL or Cable as nobody seems to want to run fiber on our early 60's neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    We're not much better off in my house than many of you are in the "sticks". I mean, our speeds are faster, but we are limited to DSL or Cable as nobody seems to want to run fiber on our early 60's neighborhood.
                    At my house in Benbrook TXU of all people talked about running fiber before rolling out their "smart meters". They wanted to get into the ISP market but apparently Charter had better lawyers and used their franchise agreements to nix that plan.

There are lots of providers that'd love to run fiber but cities have agreements with existing providers to guarantee they make their money. In return the cities get a franchise fee and probably discounted or free service.

Comment

I wish people here would understand how shitty our internet AND phone service is compared to other places in the world. We're lagging behind, hard core, and it's because we're letting the providers dictate what they want to do, and when they want to do it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                        At my house in Benbrook TXU of all people talked about running fiber before rolling out their "smart meters". They wanted to get into the ISP market but apparently Charter had better lawyers and used their franchise agreements to nix that plan.

There are lots of providers that'd love to run fiber but cities have agreements with existing providers to guarantee they make their money. In return the cities get a franchise fee and probably discounted or free service.

So much this. ^^^

Comment

You mean other than the actual words?

Here's a pretty good breakdown citing the federalist papers and the founders themselves. The Commerce clause was never meant to regulate activity between people or between people and business but rather between states taxing each other and states interacting with foreign nations.

To regulate: to make regular. Pretty simple

http://www.bu.edu/rbarnett/Original.htm#IB
                          Thank you for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                            What a nice, retarded answer.
                            I guess its safe to assume that you don't have any inkling of just how disingenuous they always are. Without fail, its always something to help them and hurt us. Pay attention.

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                            because mega-corporations do whats best for their customer base.
                            Who cares? All they care about is money. They're really not interested in spying and gathering data on every citizen.
                            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              I guess its safe to assume that you don't have any inkling of just how disingenuous they always are. Without fail, its always something to help them and hurt us. Pay attention.
                              It's safe to say when it comes to modern technology and infrastructure, you are stuck in an old age. As a nation, we're trailing far, far behind.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                                It's safe to say when it comes to modern technology and infrastructure, you are stuck in an old age. As a nation, we're trailing far, far behind.
                                I'll admit to that, but I'll also say that its not really affecting me personally.

I'm guessing the upgrades that you're wanting to see are in the speed category? Generally they don't run faster lines out to BFE when its going to cost them 10's, possibly 100's of thousands of dollars to supply fast internet to 1000 people.

I think all we need is time. Google has already said that they intend to run their fiber optic everywhere that there are people. All for $30 per month.
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X