Ecoboost turbo whistle at WOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecoboost turbo whistle at WOT?

Just happened recently, noticing MPG a few tenths down on my usual drive and the truck feels a little sluggish as well. No strange noises or anything until wide open. All of the cold side connections feel good and solid. Could a faulty wastegate be to blame? What else should I look for?

Thanks y'all

Inspect air filter element for restrictions.

Have you noticed any excessive oil consumption that could indicate a damaged turbo charger

Comment

I'll once over everything again tonight after I get done at the FD. I also got to thinking maybe it's a belt issue, but since the truck limits rpms in park or neutral, I can't spin the motor up in the driveway to isolate it much further.

Comment

Change your name to Bubb Rubb and live with it.

Are you still making the same amount of boost as before?

Comment

no boost gauge so it's hard to tell.

Comment

Similar to the issues I had with my Mazdasoeed when the wastegate failed internally. Mazda replaced the turbocharger.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Sweet, free shit!
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I'll drop it by the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Looks like turbo failures are a bit more common than I would have hoped.

Comment

I checked the oil this morning and noticed it smells pretty strong of gas. Only about 1300 miles on this oil change too. It's at the dealer now, so we'll see what they say.

Comment

Finally heard back from the dealership - good news is the turbo is fine.. one of the CAC hoses failed and that's where the noise was coming from. I think there's a TSB for this but I didn't get the number from the advisor.

The more important one - gas "smell" in oil - is also covered by TSB 14-0014, 14-0040 and finally 15-0003 which is rectified by new PCV, brake booster hoses, a PCM reflash, oil change, and a block heater (that I thought I'd never need but may be nice to have on those 0* mornings here)

Happy that this is all covered by warranty and I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

That's great!

What year model is your truck?
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Henry, it's a '13. Looks like any 11-14 models may be affected by it.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                          Henry, it's a '13. Looks like any 11-14 models may be affected by it.
                          OK Kyle, thanks. I have a few friends down here that have that year model F-Juan Fiddy, I'll pass this along to them.

Comment

The BOVs have been known to develop leaks too. May not be your issue, just an fyi. 2015 SHO here. Love my SCT handheld for this exact reason.
                            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                              Finally heard back from the dealership - good news is the turbo is fine.. one of the CAC hoses failed and that's where the noise was coming from. I think there's a TSB for this but I didn't get the number from the advisor.

The more important one - gas "smell" in oil - is also covered by TSB 14-0014, 14-0040 and finally 15-0003 which is rectified by new PCV, brake booster hoses, a PCM reflash, oil change, and a block heater (that I thought I'd never need but may be nice to have on those 0* mornings here)

Happy that this is all covered by warranty and I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon.
                              man i changed my own oil for the first time in decades....that shit smelled so strongly of gas, i could have poured the old oil back in the tank! i guess i will be heading to the ford house. 2014 fx2 ecoboost.

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X