No announcement yet.

Need laptop info/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys do realize SSDs are as low as $29 on New Egg. You can get a Samsung 860 EVO for $55, according to their last weekly promo email I received.

Use software like EaseUS to quickly and easily clone the OS and still have the magnetic drive for storage. The latest EaseUS builds have overcome the bugs of cloning mixed matched drive capacities. I just recently did that for friend when his ASUS took a dump. Spent a $129 less money for a similar spec'd out laptop that came with a SSD vs. the model he bought with a HDD that I swapped out with a New Egg SSD. No cloning errors or provision problems. If you just want to open the box and fire up the laptop all ready go, then I understand spending more money up front. With the SSDs becoming so ridiculously cheap, it may benefit you to take a second look when shopping for new laptops.

My previous Acer V5-561 came with a HDD and I bought a cheap Samsung 840 EVO from a New Egg Shell Shocker deal. After all was said and done done I had saved roughly $120 from the next model up with same I5 CPU|GPU/Ram/WiFi card/Gigabit Ethernet that had the SSD pre-installed.

Comment

That is the more cost effective option for sure, but that presupposes he has someone who can or that he can do that. I've been using the Inland Pro line from Microcenter for cheap ssd. They're not quite Samsung fast, but they're a lot cheaper and have served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        the second device is so terribly dated, I wouldn't spend the money on it, that and it's a tiny ssd. You can get cellphones now with more storage...

As to the refurb question, if you can get a warranty, then I see no problem with it.
        Ok I'll keep looking then. Manager has nortex out here today working on our network, adding a router right next to my tool box. I'll probably end up buying a laptop anyways. They have these things locked down to were we have no control, and can't add programs to it.

Comment

Working...
        X