This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bronco71 View Post
    also a reamer. Tumbler is for cleaning/polishing brass; it can get pretty dirty after several reloads without cleaning and can cause chambering problems in tight chambers....also can scratch dies.
    You can also substitute phosphoric acid diluted to 20% (2 parts acid to 8 parts water). You can find the acid at home depot, it is commonly used for cleaning cement. Just dip your dirty cases in the solution for around 60 seconds and then pull them out, wash in fresh water, and place on a pan on the sun to dry. you can actually watch the cases flash clean in seconds. This works best with fresh fired brass.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      You can also substitute phosphoric acid diluted to 20% (2 parts acid to 8 parts water). You can find the acid at home depot, it is commonly used for cleaning cement. Just dip your dirty cases in the solution for around 60 seconds and then pull them out, wash in fresh water, and place on a pan on the sun to dry. you can actually watch the cases flash clean in seconds. This works best with fresh fired brass.
      That's cool. Also an ultrasonic cleaner can be used, I haven't tried it yet but hear it works good and fast. I have one I do my motorcycle carbs in so might have to try it.

Comment

Another must have if doing any military brass or any brass that comes with a crimp is decrimp tool/swager.

You can buy a fancy tool for a 100 bucks that does a faster job or a ten dollar tool that is more manual labor. I go cheap because you can throw it in a drill.

Comment

Was out of commission for a bit, but I appreciate yall posting up. Figured there was a good bit more to it then just a press and various parts for the ammunition. This has given me so stuff to think about going forward and plenty more to research. ESpecially since I don't know what things like "reamers" are and what they do. I mean, it sounds straight forward enough - but in reference to reloading - gonna have to look it up.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I dont have a reamer and i can load. Its not a necessity to me.

I would say that i have the basics. As little as it takes to get a loaded round.

The accuracy ive been able to achieve is far and beyond any off the shelf ammo.

Heck some people dont even use scales they use lee dippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              I dont have a reamer and i can load. Its not a necessity to me.

I would say that i have the basics. As little as it takes to get a loaded round.

The accuracy ive been able to achieve is far and beyond any off the shelf ammo.

Heck some people dont even use scales they use lee dippers.
              I'm assuming you guys are talking about deburring tools.

Trimmers, deburring tools, primer pocket swages, case gauges, etc. are all only for rifle cartridges. If you're looking to do pistol it's only a press, dies, and your components.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Yeah, just realized I posted up w/o stating my intentions. For me the initial purpose is 5.56/223 stuff for my AR. I just bought a bunch of rounds at 20 cents a pop, but I'd rather have the know how, experience and confidence of doing it myself. Even if it is at or slightly above 20 cents a round.

Of course, I'd like to expand to 9mm and other stuff (suppose reloading 22 would be stupid).

I guess you can't really reload steel cased rounds?

Take care,

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Yeah, just realized I posted up w/o stating my intentions. For me the initial purpose is 5.56/223 stuff for my AR. I just bought a bunch of rounds at 20 cents a pop, but I'd rather have the know how, experience and confidence of doing it myself. Even if it is at or slightly above 20 cents a round.

Of course, I'd like to expand to 9mm and other stuff (suppose reloading 22 would be stupid).

I guess you can't really reload steel cased rounds?

Take care,
                  I can load them for 5 times cheaper than 20 cents a round. You can't reload them not because of the steel, but because of the primers flash holes. Next time I reload a bunch of .223 I'll invite you over for slave labor and in turn you can learn everything you need to know.

Comment

I can load them for 5 times cheaper than 20 cents a round. You can't reload them not because of the steel, but because of the primers flash holes. Next time I reload a bunch of .223 I'll invite you over for slave labor and in turn you can learn everything you need to know.
                    Won't promise I can make it, but I'd appreciate the invitation. Seems like a no brainer to get over there if I can. Plus I can bring a couple of rifles to see if you're interested in restoring them.

Comment

I'm gonna buy a Lee single stage press kit for about $104. Comes with everything needed to start supposedly. Then after that I'm gonna be watching YouTube videos left and right to make sure I got it down right.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                        I'm gonna buy a Lee single stage press kit for about $104. Comes with everything needed to start supposedly. Then after that I'm gonna be watching YouTube videos left and right to make sure I got it down right.
                        There is a guy posting by the name iraqwarvet on YouTube that uses the Lee kit.

His videos are pretty good.

I'm reading the ABCs of reloading right now and then I'm going to make my purchases.

I'm torn between the less expensive Lee kit, the RCBS rock chucker kit, and the Lyman single stage kit right now. $100 for something that will work or $300 for something that will probably last a lifetime with a better scale and powder measure.

I'm also torn between piecing everything together off of fleabay too starting with a Lee Classic Cast press, since it isn't offered in any kit.

Comment

So I was looking at buying a Lee hand press because I need a mobile setup and I wont be doing any real volume to speak of. My goal is to prep the 1500+ .223 cases that I have, first, then to load them in 50-100rd batches as I learn the mystical art of reloading. I am confused though, my bro-n-law has a Dillon progressive loader and he takes his tubbled brass straight to the press. After a little reading it sounds like its necessary to resize and decap , trim, camfur/de-bur, and clean the primer pocket on every load. Is that all necessary or how does he get away with not doing all that?
                          "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... one is by the sword... the other is by debt." John Adams 1826

Comment

Oooh, OOoooh, Me next.

Comment

My first batch of rounds. Going to the range tomorrow!

Comment

Congrats! (no sarcasm)

Comment

Working...
                                X