DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Lookin Like a Million Bucks

Lookin Like a Million Bucks Paint, body, and detailing forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default Paint or wrap #milliondollarcobraV2

So, I am making changes to KbscobraVERT and converting it into KbscobraCOUPE or affectionately known as #milliondollarcobraV2.

The body is in fair shape minus the back left corner panel needs attention. But the paint looks like shit up close. Looks like it was done just to make it a 10-footer.

I am toying with going back to the original black or a wrap in matte or satin blacks.

What can I expect to pay and who can do this? I don't want a hook up no recourse to the final result kind of deal. I want someone to take it on and have pride in the final result. Something I can say "______ painted it" and be happy about it.

Car will be stripped, no windshield or back window, a roller (maybe nothing in the engine bay) and can be brought stripped to the painter/body guy's liking. Will have an aftermarket pin on hood. If body work is cheaper to use new front and rear bumpers, I will replace to lessen the overall cost. Not concerned with using original panels.

Will be ready for paint possibly the end of June or sometime up until mid/late August. Just depends on Matt, me making changes and my next R&R.

Loose quote on wrap is $2,000-2,500.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...12#post1692412
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,697
Default

Rattlecan it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
Rattlecan it.
Your face

And no on plasti dip too.

I don't even want to rattlecan the cage. Unless I can find some good ceramic tough as nails shit. In black or red.
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,697
Default

Bass boat sparkle wrap?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,844
Default

Since it’s million dollar cobra.... you need to strip it to bare metal and repaint the entire car grabber blue or Porsche Mexico blue.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,630
Default

__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
BradM
Bad Santa
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,029
Default

Kit Kat wrap.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Oh Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Since itís million dollar cobra.... you need to strip it to bare metal and repaint the entire car grabber blue or Porsche Mexico blue.
I am thinking black base color though.

For one, to save a little bit by not having to do a full color change.

Second, because this car will be what the original kbscobravert should have been. I bought this one because I couldn't stomach, for some odd reason, cutting on the vert anymore. Where the vert is now is unsafe and unusable without cage, etc. And I didn't want to cage it and turn it into a race car. I would rather just build one.

So, this new car is in the shop with Matt getting 12pt cage plus a few more bars, through floor subs, relocated upper shock mount, mini tubs. It will get Optic Armor front and rear "glass". I have a rear from Christian that BigShoe is going to narrow 3" each side, Strange big Ford bearing ends, Strange brake adapter to run Sn95 stock cobra brakes on Ford 9" housing ends, Racecraft relocated adjustable lower control arms with brace and their tube brace kit, and the tubes welded. I am ordering some Billet Specialties Comp 5 15x12 double bead lock 5" bs wheels.

While it is apart and a roller, I want to get it painted before going back together with suspension parts and all my motor/trans/fuel/electronics from cobravert.
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBScobravert View Post
I am thinking black base color though.

For one, to save a little bit by not having to do a full color change.

Second, because this car will be what the original kbscobravert should have been. I bought this one because I couldn't stomach, for some odd reason, cutting on the vert anymore. Where the vert is now is unsafe and unusable without cage, etc. And I didn't want to cage it and turn it into a race car. I would rather just build one.

So, this new car is in the shop with Matt getting 12pt cage plus a few more bars, through floor subs, relocated upper shock mount, mini tubs. It will get Optic Armor front and rear "glass". I have a rear from Christian that BigShoe is going to narrow 3" each side, Strange big Ford bearing ends, Strange brake adapter to run Sn95 stock cobra brakes on Ford 9" housing ends, Racecraft relocated adjustable lower control arms with brace and their tube brace kit, and the tubes welded. I am ordering some Billet Specialties Comp 5 15x12 double bead lock 5" bs wheels.

While it is apart and a roller, I want to get it painted before going back together with suspension parts and all my motor/trans/fuel/electronics from cobravert.
Just do a black repaint... it'll be the cheapest option and easiest to do while apart. Then later if you want to color change it wrap it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
Counterfiend
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 237
Default

Why not let me have a crack at it finally? Ha. Original paint all shined up might be nice and cheaper than a wrap or dip.
Counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
Why not let me have a crack at it finally? Ha. Original paint all shined up might be nice and cheaper than a wrap or dip.
This is a new one. New Cobra build. It is rough. Looks good in pics. Looks good even 10 feet away. But up close you can see complete shit for paint work done to make it look sellable and that was it. If I try to save any of it, it will get a whole new paint job.
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Counterfiend
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 237
Default

Totally fair. Was just throwing out another option for you. :-)
Build looks awesome BTW.
Counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,844
Default

Look at the bmw and Porsche blacks. Germans do much better at painting cars.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #15
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Look at the bmw and Porsche blacks. Germans do much better at painting cars.
I saw a Bently black going down on an older 936 on youtube. Was AMAZING.

One thing I have to keep in mind is to not spend too much on paint/body. I plan on this car going to the track. It will be worked on and I don't want to have that price tag in the back of my mind when I have to pull the bumper cover etc. I want this to be more fun than the vert and less worry.
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBScobravert View Post
I saw a Bently black going down on an older 936 on youtube. Was AMAZING.

One thing I have to keep in mind is to not spend too much on paint/body. I plan on this car going to the track. It will be worked on and I don't want to have that price tag in the back of my mind when I have to pull the bumper cover etc. I want this to be more fun than the vert and less worry.
do you want my opinion?
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
Captain Crawfish
Lifer
 
Captain Crawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,740
Default

Paint it yourself . Metal clean prime 3 base 3 clear buff done deal. Do a small part first it’s not rocket science. Wrap is lazy way imo
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
Paint it yourself . Metal clean prime 3 base 3 clear buff done deal. Do a small part first itís not rocket science. Wrap is lazy way imo
I only spend 35 days a year in the US. My time home is worth more to either have a professional do the body work or wrap it. Wrap is something I would try myself. Maybe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
Craizie
Cracka
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBScobravert View Post
I only spend 35 days a year in the US. My time home is worth more to either have a professional do the body work or wrap it. Wrap is something I would try myself. Maybe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You're so lazy.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
You're so lazy.


hey, check this out. I have someone doing the cage and tubs in the car too.
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anthonys gay smurf

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.