Stocks are taking a beating - Looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocks are taking a beating - Looking for advice

I've never dabbled in stocks, but COVID-19 is presenting an opportunity that I'd like to seize on.

What is the best platform to buy a single stock on? I know the game plan is diversification, that is what my 457 and TMRS accounts are for. This is simply for me to sink $3000-$4000 into one stock, and let it sit until the stock recovers and it certainly will.

Disney was trading for $141 30 days ago, now it is at $88(edited). Obviously I am not going to rake in the money, but with 30-40 shares I could make a decent little profit.

What do you guys recommend? TD Ameritrade, E-Trade, Charles...?

Appreciate any info/advice
    Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 03-18-2020, 07:37 AM.

TD I suggest you gain financial advice from a different source

Comment

I wonder when it will bottom out, that's the key.

Comment

Eh, I've got a buy order in at $80/share. If it hits that, and then rebounds, it'll be a nice little profit. If it doesn't, oh well, didn't lose anything.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          Eh, I've got a buy order in at $80/share. If it hits that, and then rebounds, it'll be a nice little profit. If it doesn't, oh well, didn't lose anything.
          You know stocks can go down too...right? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            You know stocks can go down too...right? Lol
            Not once it hits your buy order!
            Last edited by Craizie; 03-12-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

My trading portfolio is up 11% for the day. I've been buying the dips. In the past two weeks I've probably profited $150,000.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                My trading portfolio is up 11% for the day. I've been buying the dips. In the past two weeks I've probably profited $150,000.
                Havent profited if you havent sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Havent profited if you havent sold!
                  I am selling as they go up. I've been in and out of numerous financial stocks half a dozen times or more today. For about the past week and a half I haven't held any stocks when the market closes. This is truly a Feeding Frenzy. After a few more weeks of this I'm just going to put everything in an S&P fund and leave it alone for a while.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I made 5 bux this week on a stawk! Sorry had to brag!!

Comment

Buy low, sell high.

Comment

Dow closed down 9.99% today. Pretty crazy those digits and all.

Comment

This unique opportunity actually offers a great time to buy in the market if you are into the long game and smart about it. Just look at these panicked buyers and what they are buying or people in isolation what are they going to be doing. Buy smart.

Comment

TD ameritrade is pretty nice. But really any of the major online brokerages will be fine.

Definitely avoid stupid shit like Robin Hood and other free app based platforms. Robin Hood ran out of capital at least once in the last week and had to shut down for the day. They were also out for a few other high volatility days.

If I were you and I had little experience in the stock market, I would just pick a nice S&P500 tracking ETF, put it in and don't even look at it for three years. Now is not the time to educate yourself or come up with any brilliant stock picks if you are starting from nothing. If you pick the wrong stock you can easily lose your money.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Or just buy some gold.

Edit: physical. Something to touch. With a stock as a common holder you don't own shit. And you'll get fucked again and again.

Also, I'm buying some oil stocks because they actually do something, but it's the same as me playing blackjack. You can always lose your money when people above you decide. Now is the time to have enough to say fuck it.
                              Last edited by dblack1; 03-12-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X