Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDC what do you carry and how? Plus scenario.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a "get the fuck away from me" gun. I am leaning more towards one of the newer 14" shotguns like the Mossberg 590 Shockwave or the Remmy 870 TAC14. They are smaller and easier to conceal the an AR pistol. I know you have less ammo but #4 buck is exceedingly good at "crowd control". I personally like it better for a short range urban weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      Wow I feel pretty "naked". Because I work from home most of the time I don't carry a GHB of any kind whenever I go into the office/anywhere unless some kind of event is going on at the time i.e. bad weather or the police shootings last year. Normally when I go into the office I bring a change of clothes so I can work out in the gym after work, Glock 43, holster, and a spare mag, either my Spyderco PM2 or my Benchmade Griptillian, one of my Surefire flashlights plus a tiny single cell flashlight that's always in my work bag, and a separate bag that I keep an assortment of cables and chargers.

Couple of things I didn't see on here that I think is good advice is to keep an offline copy of Google Maps of your AO in case you need to navigate around and there is no cell signal. Never know when "the lights go out" and you need to find an alternative way home or find an alternative place to bug out to temporarily. Also do any of you guys have a way to lock up your firearms for when you can't bring it with you i.e. work or some other restricted place? I have a Gun Vault for a handgun and something bigger for locking up a rifle/shotgun if need be. Just curious.

Since I'm going to add a couple of Glock 9's to my collection pretty soon, I might pick up a Kel-Tech Sub2000 that can easily be stored in a vehicle and could use the same magazines and ammo as my pistol.
      I have a lockbox under the seat that bolts into the seat mounts. Luckily there are a ton of options out there for Jeeps.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      • [1] 32oz Nalgene bottle, full No camelback bladder?
        [2] Life Straw Why not a pump filter? Drinking on the spot is good, but being able to carry water is better if you're not sure of your next source.
        [3] Emergency blanket / tarp - The thicker one with reflective on one side Sounds like a luxury, but quite a few people pack up a hammock also. Something small - ENO or similar - to keep you off the ground if it comes to that
        [4] Extra magazine for my pistol and an OWB holster I like the OWB holster. No point in concealing and delaying a draw if you've hit the point that the bag has become necessary
        [5] Boonie Hat Light and small... but made me chuckle

Good questions / comments! Here are my thoughts regarding your comments:

1&2. Because I have the Nalgene, once the fresh water in there is empty, I can refill with dirty water (prefiltered through my bandana) and then use the life straw to drink from the nalgene. That said, I intend to replace the life straw with a Sawyer Mini with some extra bags. There is a lot of water around here, so I am not worried about trying to carry an exorbitant amount as it is really heavy and takes up a lot of space. If I were in a more arid environment that would probably be different. I won't buy pump style filters because shit can break too easily. I do intend to get some purification drops too, as a backup since they are so small and light. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

3. I'm a hammock camper, and absolutely love it. I actually started with ENO stuff, but since getting more into it there are a ton of far better options out there. That said, this is an emergency situation and the likelihood of finding the perfect place to hang a hammock is only problem #1. What about insulation under you? You need at least a sleep pad, but preferably an underquilt, to stay warm if the temps are under ~70*. Also, this is a get home bag.. If it were a BOB or 72 hour bag, things might be different, but I would still probably default to my small two person tent, as you just never know if you will be able to hang the hammock and are likely taking up the space and weight for the slight possibility of its use, which is purely a luxury. I can get by with the tarp / emergency blanket and mylar. I actually forgot that I do have an old ENO rainfly (small lightweight tarp) in there too, for rain protection. It was left over from my first ENO set up that I bought. The intent was emergency blanket / tarp on the ground for insulation and to stay dry, mylar for a blanket, and the trap strung over me. But all three items have multiple other uses for me.

4. Yeah, totally my thoughts. I mean, it will still be covered by my shirt, but I figured I would rather have it more readily available and it is much more comfortable.

5. I'm a ginger and sun protection is a real thing! Sunburns suck, hurt, and can lead to infection (not to mention long term effects) I wear boonie hats any time I am going to be outside in the sun more than an hour or so, for the superior protection over a baseball cap. They also work well for other uses (will hold water briefly, for example, for collecting from a dirty source and prefiltering into the nalgene).

I've tried to stick to stuff that has multiple uses as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
      X