Wireless Internet to two buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Internet to two buildings

My Father in law is remodeling his new house and wants wireless internet to both the house (left) and the shop (right). Internet service comes in to the shop and is already set up, wireless is functioning fine.

I assumed we could run some Cat 5, connected at the box to the same line 1 that is currently getting service, underground to the house and hook up a router he purchases. I just read that this may not actually work?

I can think of 2 other options:
    Run cat 5 from the back of the router at the shop similar to above, to a router in the house.
    or
    Use a range extender. I am not sure how well this will work for reliable wireless in the house.

Thoughts?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

wireless bridge. I'm using a netgear RG6300 Router that is transmitting to a repeater/bridge in my barn over 200' away.

Works great.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
      wireless bridge. I'm using a netgear RG6300 Router that is transmitting to a repeater/bridge in my barn over 200' away.

Works great.
      Thanks for the help. Forgive my ignorance on the follow-up questions:

Something like this in bridge mode?

And wouldn't have to be hard-wired, correct? It would just pick up the existing wireless signal, amplify it, and send it out from there?

I think they are only getting 1 "bar" or so to the house, not sure if that would be enough?
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

Okay, so here is what I will say - take it or leave it.

If you can run CAT5/6 to the shop, DO IT. There will be no external interference, no retransmissions, no real bandwidth limitations, less jitter if doing any VOIP, less packet loss during high usage/problems and so on. Wired still is superior to wireless.

With that said, I'm in a similar spot and here is what I've done or will be doing.

1. Done: Hard wired house. This allows AP/Switch/Host hookup in most rooms. If you need more than one drop, buy an inexpensive and fanless switch to expand for that location.

2. Done: 3 APs are in my home. Walls, size, layout and so on will dictate how many you need. Usually only 1 or 2 needed, same for my place. I had 3 so I put them in, staggered the channels and am good to go. 1 is dedicated for my room/2nd floor though...etc.

3. Not Done: Hard wire to shop. I'm even considering doing powerline ethernet, due to laziness. This is better than wireless IMO from a consistency point of view. However, I know I'll be better off with a CAT 5 run.

4. Not Done: Add switch to shop to expand that run.

5. Not Done: Add AP. Phones, iPads and so forth do not have ethernet connections and it's easier to have friends just connect their crap wireless.

That is how I would recommend setting up what you need.

Edit: Also, my shop is like 15' from my home, 20' from one AP and 30' from another. Without doing a full blown survey/testing I can't prove it, but based off experience I can almost promise you that any one of numerous tools will provide interference to the AP radios. Generally not a big deal, but there are several scenarios where that could be anything from a minor annoyance to pissing you off. (Think downloading plans/software needed and it drops while you're off with a grinder or something)

Edit2: What FATHERFORD proposed is a perfectly acceptable solution if wired is not an option or you just don't want to do wireless. However, there are possible problems that would generally be eliminated by a hard wired connection.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Check em out !

wifi antennas, antenna cable assemblies, bulk coax, connectors, cat5e-cat6, Ethernet and fiber optic patch cords, PoE injectors-splitters, access points, gigabit switches & custom manufacturing
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            Okay, so here is what I will say - take it or leave it.

If you can run CAT5/6 to the shop, DO IT. There will be no external interference, no retransmissions, no real bandwidth limitations, less jitter if doing any VOIP, less packet loss during high usage/problems and so on. Wired still is superior to wireless.

With that said, I'm in a similar spot and here is what I've done or will be doing.

1. Done: Hard wired house. This allows AP/Switch/Host hookup in most rooms. If you need more than one drop, buy an inexpensive and fanless switch to expand for that location.

2. Done: 3 APs are in my home. Walls, size, layout and so on will dictate how many you need. Usually only 1 or 2 needed, same for my place. I had 3 so I put them in, staggered the channels and am good to go. 1 is dedicated for my room/2nd floor though...etc.

3. Not Done: Hard wire to shop. I'm even considering doing powerline ethernet, due to laziness. This is better than wireless IMO from a consistency point of view. However, I know I'll be better off with a CAT 5 run.

4. Not Done: Add switch to shop to expand that run.

5. Not Done: Add AP. Phones, iPads and so forth do not have ethernet connections and it's easier to have friends just connect their crap wireless.

That is how I would recommend setting up what you need.

Edit: Also, my shop is like 15' from my home, 20' from one AP and 30' from another. Without doing a full blown survey/testing I can't prove it, but based off experience I can almost promise you that any one of numerous tools will provide interference to the AP radios. Generally not a big deal, but there are several scenarios where that could be anything from a minor annoyance to pissing you off. (Think downloading plans/software needed and it drops while you're off with a grinder or something)

Edit2: What FATHERFORD proposed is a perfectly acceptable solution if wired is not an option or you just don't want to do wireless. However, there are possible problems that would generally be eliminated by a hard wired connection.
            Interesting, I think I am with you: I run cat 5 from the back of the wireless router in the shop, to the house (opposite of your setup - and we are digging the trench anyway). At the house I plug in my hard wired connection to the back of my access point/router bridge. The access point receives a hard-wired signal and transmits wireless for use in the main house?

He isn't dropping cat 5 to every room, like you said when people come over wireless is easier and he knows zilch about computers, just wants to be able to check e-mail and look up sports scores basically.

I am going to draw this out and post it up later so see if my scheme will work.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
              Interesting, I think I am with you: I run cat 5 from the back of the wireless router in the shop, to the house (opposite of your setup - and we are digging the trench anyway). At the house I plug in my hard wired connection to the back of my access point/router bridge. The access point receives a hard-wired signal and transmits wireless for use in the main house?

He isn't dropping cat 5 to every room, like you said when people come over wireless is easier and he knows zilch about computers, just wants to be able to check e-mail and look up sports scores basically.

I am going to draw this out and post it up later so see if my scheme will work.

Thanks so much for all the help.
              What's the distance from the house to the shop? I'd probably go Cat 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                What's the distance from the house to the shop? I'd probably go Cat 6.
                Judging by google about 80 feet.

Comment

Working...
                X