Oberg filter vs. FL1A filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oberg filter vs. FL1A filter

Putting together the 66 coup motor and can't decide weather to run the Oberg screen type filter or the screw on FL1A filter. Canton 7 qt. pan, windage tray and a Millings high volume pump in the oil system now. Car will be roadraced and autocrossed.
    8 point cage, 4 wheel disk brakes, 3.89 posi, panhard bar, Addco bars front and rear. Bullet race cam and Brodex heads and fuel cell.
    I can go either way as I have all the parts already.

Give me your opinions as it's time to make the decision.

Do you have a true gage? Try out Wix 51515r and compare it to other screw on type filters.

Comment

The Wix R oil filters are made in the exact same place as the K&Ns or the Mobil 1 filters and they are top quality. I get the Wix Rs or the Mobil 1 filters from rockauto by the case and us them for my normal cars and trucks.

I tried the Oberg filter setup on my FEs back when Ford Power Parts was touting them as the best thing since sliced bread and was not impressed with them at all.

My personal experience is that the absolute best oil filter that can be had is the Canton CM filter and that is what I use when doing go fast stuff. I have also used a remote oil filter mount that will accept the same HUGE filter that is used on the 7.3l PowerStroke diesels and was very happy with that setup when using any of the top grade spin on filters and if memory serves me correctly I used the Fram HP series of filters with that setup.

Oil Control, Oil Pressure Control, Oil Pans, Oil Filters, Oil Coolers, Heat Exchangers, Oil Accumulators, Remote Oil Filters, High Performance Spin-on Oil Filters, Engine Cooling, Coolant Tanks, Coolant Reservoirs, Coolant Overflow Tanks, Water Necks
      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

What's bad about the Oberg? What is so good about the WIX R filter. I know about the mess an Oberg will make but you see what is in the oil with out cutting a filter open. Is there a pressure drop with the Oberg, never saw one on the dirt car that I remember. the canister is lighter and much less hassle to deal with.
        Tell me more gents!!!

Comment

The Oberg is just a metal screen with a very limited surface area. Even the finest screen doesn't filter all that well. The Wix R, the Mobil 1, and the K&N are all the same filter. The body of the filter uses metal that is super heavy duty, the relief spring is a top grade design, the filter uses silicon for the anti drain back valve and the filter media is a man made fiber that is very consistent and it has depth to it unlike filter media made from cellulose which can only trap dirt on its surface. The CM filter use the same type of synthetic filter media with the advantage of being able to easily take the filter out for a quick inspection.

In the 30 years that I have been screwing with trying to go fast in anything with an engine I have tried every oil filter option that is available. Using a top grade filter from a name brand manufacture that uses a synthetic fiber filter media is the only way to go. The CM filter is no better then the Wix R, K&N, or Mobil 1; it is just more convenient if you want to inspect the filter element.

Edit: You did not mention the type of tires you will be running but if you are road racing with R compound tires you may want to consider (I STRONGLY recommend doing this) using a Canton oil pressure reservoir. An oil cooler for the engine and diff would also be a VERY good idea and in truth an actual mandatory one.
          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-19-2017, 11:52 AM.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, won't go with the Oberg. Will be using an oil cooler, not sure about an pressure oil pressure reservoir, is that the same thing as an accumulator. Cooler for the diff, where do you mount the "radiator"? to keep it out of the rocks?

Will more that likely will be running Hoosiers, don't know compound as that's down the road a little ways.

Thanks again.

Comment

Check out royal purple's filters. Last I read they're the ones that filter the most. Which is great for anything that isn't a racecar.
              WH

Comment

The oil pressure reservoir that I mentioned is the exact same thing as an accumulator. Most people mount the diff oil cooler above the diff or on the axle tube. I prefer to mount it up front or inside of the car if there is a firewall and air plumbed through the inside of the car.
                Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-20-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X