Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced hardware obsolescence?

Confirmed: Windows 10 may cut off devices with older CPUs
    Microsoft's policy puts all older hardware at risk.

No Windows 10 Creators Update for you, Microsoft says—at least, not if you happen to be the unlucky owner of certain older Atom-based Windows devices, and other aging models in the future. After stories arose of failed attempts to upgrade such hardware to the Creators Update, Microsoft confirmed late Wednesday that any hardware device that falls out of the manufacturer’s support cycle may be ineligible for future Windows 10 updates.

In short, despite your hardware serving your needs, being fully functional and capable, M$ will cutoff support when the OEM no longer offers support for it. My capable 3770k is on the cusp of this, thus forcing a new build, despite not needing it. FML

A 32bit only processor that supports 2GB of ram isnt going to be supported? That processor wasn't really designed for anything other that what it came with at the time, and even then it wasn't usable.

I have an Intel atom Acer laptop and its barely usable running Linux and using just terminals and a browser. It came with a Windows 10 installation by default and it was completely unusable with that.

Where is the list of CPU's I couldnt find it, a 3770 I find hard to believe would be unsupported, not calling you a liar just that would blow my mind. I'm not against removing support of 32bit atoms processors, those things should be running custom operating systems and not ones that rely heavily on specific instruction sets.

Comment

This hyperlink legacy Core processors

Comment

Off-topic but I want my Vista OS support back!

Comment

I don't really have a problem with this. Part of MS past problem is that they have supported such a wide gambit of hardware that they spread their devs thin to keep them all supported. That takes resources away from improving their product and making it more secure.

On the flip side, you won't see anymore PCs lasting for 10 years with support. People are just going to stick with what they've got until they have absolutely no choice in the matter. I say 10 years because I have one with a core i7 that still runs like a champ after upgrading the disk to an SSD and stuffing it with RAM.

Comment

It's garbage and feels like collusion to force us to buy things that aren't needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              I don't really have a problem with this. Part of MS past problem is that they have supported such a wide gambit of hardware that they spread their devs thin to keep them all supported. That takes resources away from improving their product and making it more secure.

On the flip side, you won't see anymore PCs lasting for 10 years with support. People are just going to stick with what they've got until they have absolutely no choice in the matter. I say 10 years because I have one with a core i7 that still runs like a champ after upgrading the disk to an SSD and stuffing it with RAM.
              I gave my friend my old 1st gen i7-930 and he's just upgraded to a GTX1070 and he's still not maxing out his CPU load in games or anything.
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                It's garbage and feels like collusion to force us to buy things that aren't needed.
                agreed
                QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post

Hard to tell. Could be they don't want to spend the money it would take, as it would be too expensive. Also could be they're just being Microsoft, and have some evil agenda. Neither would surprise me.

Then again, no updates isn't a huge deal for most people. Not saying they shouldn't want to be as secure as they can, but few people that I know actually even care if their computer gets updated until there is some kind of problem with running whatever programs they typically run. Or if the OS itself starts fucking up, and an update is what it needs to fix it.

I've long since had it up to here with Microsoft's antics, but I don't have anywhere else to go. I used several linux distros for a good while, but they're free for a reason. They reek of "free". They're clunky not snappy, animations suck, the list goes on. Also they don't have a thousand programs to choose from for any given task, like windows does. I gave it the old college try, but for a lot of reasons I couldn't make the switch. So we're basically stuck with microsoft and whatever the hell they want to do. I was using windows 7 up until a couple of months ago, when I found out that DX12 wouldn't be available for windows 7.
                  WH

Comment

so i think this means no feature updates, not no security updates.

basically Windows 10 will be their final OS release, all major updates will be Windows 10 XYZ update.

It's not much different than what Apple has done with versions of OSX, they don't support older versions of hardware either for upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      I've long since had it up to here with Microsoft's antics, but I don't have anywhere else to go. I used several linux distros for a good while, but they're free for a reason.
                      What you're describing makes you a perfect fit to use Apple product.

Comment

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Tell me more...

Comment

I completely understand why Microsoft would want to cull out old hardware on their products. I really do not see anything of serious concern here.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                              What you're describing makes you a perfect fit to use Apple product.
                              Never!
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X