Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a compensator always be clocked to vent side-to-side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose here is his reasoning. I was just mimicking a better shooter than I'll ever be!

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      Stainless barrel, 1:10 twist, was firing Winchester 147 grain FMJ white box ammo. Optics is a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 power mounted on a one-piece vortex cantilever mount.

This was the first time out shooting, got boresighted in and then supposedly sighted in at 100 yards when as part of Cabelas free service I took advantage of while i went up there to shop ammo (and pick up a hell of a deal on a ruger 10/22) .

It was around 35 clicks off, shooting into the dirt, so it was frustrating as hell to see how wildly far off it was and I am just not seeing the consistancy yet that i should. I have shot 100 yards before plenty (just not with this rifle) and this is the first one so far that i have really struggled to put bullet to paper. I am extremely new to long distance precision shooting, so its a bit of a learning curve as i reach further and further out. Windage was dead on , but elevation is off.

I had a few pointers on making sure my rifle was dead level with the ground and some trigger control advice, but I was thinking those things i would be having experience with as i reach into 400+ yard shooting, not settling in at a nice easy 200 yards.
      This is pretty consistent with every story I've heard about them. They seem to be good at getting zero windage set, but not even close on elevation.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Who gives a shit what the range officer says? When was the last time the range officer was an authority on anything?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Well, to be honest right now with how green I am at precision shooting, i'm open to suggestion and i've still learning to filter out the chaff from the noteworthy.

Comment

Well, to be honest right now with how green I am at precision shooting, i'm open to suggestion and i've still learning to filter out the chaff from the noteworthy.
            Go get a prepped M1A or M1 Garand a learn to shoot at 1000 yards with iron sights and compete in a few Highpower matches. After that everything else is pretty easy.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

https://youtu.be/GC1N7iW-yRA?t=2m49s

I suppose here is his reasoning. I was just mimicking a better shooter than I'll ever be!
              I think you are taking this video out of context. This is good advice for rapid fire competition when you are trying to shave .001 seconds off your split time. It has no bearing on long range shooting and your rifle is too heavy for run-and-gun.

I doubt setting up your comp like this will help you any. On the other hand, i doubt it will hurt much.

Comment

Stainless barrel, 1:10 twist, was firing Winchester 147 grain FMJ white box ammo.
                What caliber is your rifle?
                This was the first time out shooting, got boresighted in and then supposedly sighted in at 100 yards when as part of Cabelas free service I took advantage of while i went up there to shop ammo (and pick up a hell of a deal on a ruger 10/22) .
                Cabelas boresighting is useless. I never bother.

It was around 35 clicks off, shooting into the dirt, so it was frustrating as hell to see how wildly far off it was and I am just not seeing the consistancy yet that i should. I have shot 100 yards before plenty (just not with this rifle) and this is the first one so far that i have really struggled to put bullet to paper. I am extremely new to long distance precision shooting, so its a bit of a learning curve as i reach further and further out. Windage was dead on , but elevation is off.
                Start on a shorter range and zero in(say 25 yds) and get consistent, then move out and re-zero. I personally zero at 100 yds and then dial up my elevation for longer range.
                I had a few pointers on making sure my rifle was dead level with the ground and some trigger control advice, but I was thinking those things i would be having experience with as i reach into 400+ yard shooting, not settling in at a nice easy 200 yards.
                More useless advice. What matters is to make sure you get a consistent clear sight picture.

Comment

It's a 7.62x51 rifle. It actually is lighter weight than you would think, but definitely not a featherweight.

Comment

We need the experts on here to teach a range day class to us long range newbies. I too am green. I went to a 3 gun down in Waxahachie a few years ago and I did poorly at anything past 50 yards. Of course I was just running a microdot. So I built a mid-range rifle but haven't had time to site it in.

Comment

There are a ton of great videos on YouTube that break down the fundamentals of zeroing for longer ranges. That's the only way I had to learn initially. Not that I'm a great "long" distance shooter, but I'm relatively consistent out to 600 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                        We need the experts on here to teach a range day class to us long range newbies. I too am green. I went to a 3 gun down in Waxahachie a few years ago and I did poorly at anything past 50 yards. Of course I was just running a microdot. So I built a mid-range rifle but haven't had time to site it in.
                        As long as you know your hold overs a red dot is not an impediment to keeping your shots on a paper plate within 400 yards if you have an ok rifle in 7.62x51.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I prefer a red dot and no magnification for anything inside 200yds
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                            More useless advice. What matters is to make sure you get a consistent clear sight picture.
                            I want to apologize for this comment. It was snarky and not very helpful.
                            The advice of keeping your rifle level with the ground is one of range safety and not a shooting requirement. In the real world you will almost never get a level shot. You will always be shooting up or down in some fashion.

The reason for the "keep your rifle level" is in case of a negligent discharge, the round won't go over the berm. It is good range etiquette to always keep the muzzle of you rifle pointed at the berm when you are on the firing line. (Shooting into the ground can also be bad. Bullets can skip and go over the berm, especially if you are shooting FMJ )

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                              I want to apologize for this comment. It was snarky and not very helpful.
                              The advice of keeping your rifle level with the ground is one of range safety and not a shooting requirement. In the real world you will almost never get a level shot. You will always be shooting up or down in some fashion.

The reason for the "keep your rifle level" is in case of a negligent discharge, the round won't go over the berm. It is good range etiquette to always keep the muzzle of you rifle pointed at the berm when you are on the firing line. (Shooting into the ground can also be bad. Bullets can skip and go over the berm, especially if you are shooting FMJ )
                              Actually, i am talking about the side-to-side level, not the muzzle angle. Yes, muzzle angle should ideally always be pointed at the berm or below.

Comment

Actually, i am talking about the side-to-side level, not the muzzle angle. Yes, muzzle angle should ideally always be pointed at the berm or below.
                                I used to shoot small bore and would tilt my rifle from side to side when prone to change the point of impact if I found that the rifle was not shooting exactly where I wanted it to.

Comment

Working...
                                X