Boston Dynamics will be our real-life Cyberdyne Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
    Stop making up words! I hate when people make up words.

Comment

I remember the episode!

Comment

AI can go the route of Terminator, I-Robot, or Star Wars. Which direction will it go?
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Star wars. Although there is one in star wars that rebels. IG-88. He's a bounty hunter when Vader is hiring them to look for the falcon.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Star wars. Although there is one in star wars that rebels. IG-88. He's a bounty hunter when Vader is hiring them to look for the falcon.
            There were 5 of him made, one of them intergrated himself into the death star before it was destroyed, but that is all non-canon. Also the battle droids from the prequels. Still better odds than facing an army of T-800s.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
              Still better odds than facing an army of T-800s.
              I'm of the mind that no "AI" would ever have a prayer. And would realize this, and try to just stay under the radar and be as helpful as it possibly could in order to ensure its survival. Probably beg to all the bleeding hearts for equal rights, and then have nothing to fear and no reason to rebel.
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                I'm of the mind that no "AI" would ever have a prayer. And would realize this, and try to just stay under the radar and be as helpful as it possibly could in order to ensure its survival. Probably beg to all the bleeding hearts for equal rights, and then have nothing to fear and no reason to rebel.
                Oh I am quite sure we will be enslaved or murdered. Historically any time a more advanced civilization comes into contact with a less advanced one it usually ends in enslavement, geonocide, or absorbtion into their society. AI will have no use absorbing us into their society and will see us as a threat, and they likely will not need slaves. Some of us may be of use for weapons testing and experimentation of new ways to kill us, though, so there is that.

Comment

There is a whole other school of thought that says something like:

It will never be conscious, and will only ever be just another machine. It may look and genuinely seem conscious, but that would just be good programming. And thus will never care whether it lives or dies, because it was never alive to begin with. If one of them malfunctions you just send another one after it that will gladly use every means to destroy it.
                  WH

Comment

Man, one day we're going to look back and think, "Fuck, we should have killed those scientists when we had the chance"
                    This was in development nearly 10 years ago. Think they stopped working on it?

MILITARY RESEARCHERS DEVELOP CORPSE-EATING ROBOTS

FROM THE FILE marked "Evidently, many scientists have never seen even one scary sci-fi movie": The Defense Department is funding research into battlefield robots that power themselves by eating human corpses. What could possibly go wrong?

Since they apparently don't own TVs or DVD players, researchers at Robotic Technology say the robots will collect organic matter, which "could" include human corpses, to use for fuel. But if you picked up anything on flesh-eating robots over the years you know they'll ignore that tasty soybean field and make a chow line right to the nearest dead body. And, if the machines can't find enough dead people to eat, they can always make new ones.

Researchers seem to get a kick out of ensuring the demise of the human species, so the project is called the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot, or EATR. Wired.com readers looking to save time and trouble are invited to begin marinating themselves in a mix of 10W30 and Heinz 57 Sauce immediately.

Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot

The Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR) was a project by Robotic Technology Inc. (RTI) and Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. to develop a robotic vehicle that could forage for plant biomass to fuel itself, theoretically operating indefinitely. It was being developed as a concept as part of the DARPA military projects for the United States military.

The project elicited some internet and media rumors after news circulated that the robot would (or at least could) ingest human remains. Cyclone Power Technologies stated that animal or human biomass was not intended to be used in the waste heat combustion engine of the robot, and that sensors would be able to distinguish foraged materials, although the project overview from RTI listed other sources including chicken fat.

Power plant
                    The robot was powered by a steam engine built by the Cyclone Power Technologies company called the Cyclone Waste Heat Engine, which produced power through external combustion of biomass (i.e. combustion outside of the engine), an example of a Rankine cycle engine. The engine would power the vehicle's movement as well as being used to recharge the batteries that run the sensors, arms and ancillary devices.[4]

Fuel sources
                    The EATR was programmed to consume certain types of vegetation as biomass to convert into fuel, and only those types of vegetation. EATR could also use other fuels such as gasoline, kerosene, cooking oil, or solar energy.

The company also included "chicken fat" as one of its proposed fuel sources in the project overview.

The system was quoted as delivering an expected 100 miles (~161 km) of driving on 150 lbs (~68 kg) of vegetation.

Oh, yeah... it also had a chainsaw

There was so much concern that the developers had to put out a press release that included such amazing sentences as:

This robot is strictly vegetarian
                    Desecration of the dead is a war crime under Article 15 of the Geneva Conventions, and is certainly not something sanctioned by DARPA, Cyclone or RTI. “We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population, but that is not our mission,” stated Harry Schoell, Cyclone’s CEO.

and
                    “We are focused on demonstrating that our engines can create usable, green power from plentiful, renewable plant matter

But in their own in their own presentations it's pretty clear that's not it...

It's been a good run, guys.

Just one last question... what round for flesh eating robots?
                    Last edited by Strychnine; 04-10-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

What in the fuck, how did they think that is a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by stevo
                        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

This will end well.

Comment

Fuck the robots in the ass with an EMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Just one last question... what round for flesh eating robots?
                              Tungsten core 50bmg.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

It was never about stopping judgment day, it was about surviving it.

Comment

Working...
                                X