X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else dread Christmas ?

discuss

Ah, good topic.

I may be a sociopath because the only part I dread is the social aspect of it. Multiple family get-togethers. I love my family very much, though. I'm also recently married and I love my wife's family, but I just hate going to people's houses and sitting there and discussing current topics like a I give a shit. I have nothing to add to these boisterous atmospheres and I just want to be left alone. I don't like having so many personalities in one small house, all trying to get their piece of the pie so to speak, when I'd just rather be by myself, out of everyone's way and out of the noise.

However, I love gift-giving. I typically give stupid extravagant presents to people that I love. My wife is a penny pincer, and a very organized holiday gift-giver, so I see this model changing in the years to come.

TL;DR - It's a love/hate thing

Comment

So much expectation for a nice day, always ends up with a fight ..never fails

I think I'll hide this year

Comment

Man up

Comment

The day of Christmas I like, the stress, the money, the other shit leading up to it, not so much.

Comment

The older I get, the more I enjoy it. It's been a very tough month or so for us. Just a lot going on. We took in a teenager who has a tough home situation, and it may turn permanent, which I'm totally cool with. But there are lots of topics being avoided in conversation, as we're trying to be sensitive to his situation. The whole mood around the house is just awkward, everyone on eggshells. So I'm looking forward to the downtime, family time, and hopefully lots of fun.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I love Christmas, except for the crowds when shopping, that part I hate. I tend to go pretty crazy when it comes to the gifts. This year, I dropped a few grand on a 90's pinball machine, but damn it to hell, it's awesome.

Comment

By the time Christmas gets here I’m burned out on it simply because it starts in November now.

Comment

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I start jamming to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, and keep doing so through the first week of January. I watch a bunch of Christmas movies over and over. I'm not religious at all, so I don't care whose birthday it is, but I even put out a nativity scene (okay, it's a moose nativity). Even the crazy crowds don't bother me this time of year.

Comment

I don't mind it at all. We're all ready for a break by then, and with just the one kid, things are pretty quiet around my house. We all genuinely like each other, including each others in-laws, so it's not bad.

There are, of course, always little annoying things because family is family, but we all live close to each other and see each other pretty often. This also means that we don't have to host over night house guests. Can't complain.

Comment

we start right after thanksgiving . love christamas . do all my shopping early since i dont play well with others . watch all the old christmas movies everyday . my favorite is the " christmas story " . but then i'm an old bastard so i can relate to much of it . such a simple time when kids could be kids . we all need at least one peaceful time a year away from all the bs going on . the excitement of the young ones is well worth it to me . i tease and torture them about their presents and really enjoy christmas morning . we are raising our godson so it is even more of a joy now .
                      at my age just waking up christmas morning is a plus .

Comment

I love those fleeting moments when people actually pause and remember what Christmas is about. I also love seeing the looks on other's face when you truly gift them something that they wanted/needed and didn't expect. It was my dad's favorite time of year, and I miss seeing him during the holiday, but I love the memories I have of him at Christmas.

Comment

Nope. Amazon is the best. It's also a great reminder for me of how thankful I should be to have a warm home and great family to come home to.

Comment

I hate it...its just a day to make people spend money...if it were true that its about family then gift wouldn't be involved....
                            Originally posted by Da Prez
                            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

I hate the Christmas music, all the burnt out renditions sung by the stars, each with their own avante garde touch - I was in the dentist office a few minutes ago and whatever they have being piped in there made me want to yank all the speakers out of the wall...

Now - if it's the Trans Siberian Orchestra playing them, it's ALL good.... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X