Shark bite compression valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark bite compression valves

Would one of these be ok to replace an outside valve with? Like a copper pipe in the yard that comes up from the ground..
    "PSH!!!"

I've wondered about the lifespan of these. I used them on a washer outlet before (not my house). They sure make life easier but they will spin around on the copper pipe so if you're talking about a faucet or something that will get handled, I would just sweat copper fittings on.

Comment

They use o-rings to seal, so there is a limited lifespan depending on the environment. I had a copper pipe burst about a foot under my driveway that I used a shark bite to fix. Not the most permanent solution, but I had no room to sweat a new fitting on. Quick and easy, been working for the last 2 years. I'd it fails I'll probably just do that again vs busting up the driveway or digging a huge hole.
      Justin

Comment

What does the pipe go to?

Comment

Are you not supposed to use them indoors? I had to replace a valve on a toilet with one.

Comment

It just depends on what it is, they are rated for different things. The ones for irrigation are not supposed to be under constant pressure. I have some in my truck but haven't used them.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
              What does the pipe go to?
              It's the water spigot behind the house, aboutba foot from the foundation, a copper pipe comes straight up out of the ground and the valve is there.. justbstarting to show sings of not wanting to fully turn off.
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Have one on the back of my house for my spigot 5 years no issues. It kind of weirds me out when it turns but, eh. I have used their water heater connectors and fixed a busted line under my foundation. They are highly rated.
                Last edited by kingjason; 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've got a couple of them in a wet wall in my bathroom. I left the service access open because I didn't have any faith in them but months later they're still dry. I don't intend on living here for 20 years so they'll be someone elses problem by the time they fail

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                    I've got a couple of them in a wet wall in my bathroom. I left the service access open because I didn't have any faith in them but months later they're still dry. I don't intend on living here for 20 years so they'll be someone elses problem by the time they fail
                    I bypassed a line in my old house with Pex and shark bites. I talked to the guy last year I think and he still loves that house. Must be holding just fine. That was sayyyyyyy 9 years ago or so. I bet the thread is here somewhere.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      It's the water spigot behind the house, aboutba foot from the foundation, a copper pipe comes straight up out of the ground and the valve is there.. justbstarting to show sings of not wanting to fully turn off.
                      That has to be one of the easiest fittings to sweat on. Granted, you'll probably spend more and end up with extra flux, solder, and a butane torch, but still.

Comment

Working...
                      X