Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM techs or Anyone who knows newer GM transmissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM techs or Anyone who knows newer GM transmissions?

Basically trying to find out if the 6L80e out of a 2010 and a 2015 Sierra/Silverado are the same.

The transmission in my 2015 Sierra 1500 went out in NW Indiana last week. Must be something about 333k miles it didn't like! I towed it back to TX where I have 2 options:

1. My brother has a 6l80e from a 2010 Silverado w/ 37k miles on it. The trans was pulled because the customer was convinced there was a problem. 2 dealerships checked it out and said it's fine. Extended warranty caved and put a used trans with more miles on it to appease the customer. Probable cost to me $0.

2. My friend in the parts dept at the local chevy house has one in stock that is guaranteed to be the right one. It's brand new and has a warranty. Probable cost to me $2000(I haven't gotten a solid price on it yet, but it's normally just over their cost for me).

I'm not finding anything concrete online to say there is a difference among any of them, whether it's in a Sierra, corvette, G8 or H2. A few posts on LS1tech say the trans is pretty generic and the controller is what makes it specific to the vehicle.

Obviously I'd like to use the freebie if possible. I just want to be sure before I start wrenching.

Thanks in advance!

The controller/valve body is definitely different and won't work. Yours is probably full of debris and worn out with that many miles so you'd need to buy a new one and have it programmed. I don't know for sure if a new 2015 controller will work with a 2010 trans though.

I'd take that 2010 unit off his hands for sure though. Cores are going for $1000 right now, there are plenty of buyers that'd love to have it.

Comment

What kind of programming would it need? There doesn't appear to be any electronics on the transmission itself.

Comment

there should be a tcm(transmission control module) in the trans. and from what i remember it may be mated to the ecm and or bcm by the vin.

i am trying to remember, for i think we dealt with something similar in the last year or so but i cannot recall the specifics. it was certainly not such a large swing in year model. i do remember the used trans tcm did not want to communicate with the new truck though.

Comment

That’s a shit ton of miles

Comment

Originally posted by BP
            I'd take that 2010 unit off his hands for sure though. Cores are going for $1000 right now, there are plenty of buyers that'd love to have it.
            Any contact info for these buyers? He was trying to sell it and nobody bit on it. But I'm sure he'd be good with the core cash too.

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
            there should be a tcm(transmission control module) in the trans. and from what i remember it may be mated to the ecm and or bcm by the vin.
            This is what the Chevy house told me. The TCM is mated to the bcm/ecm and it may drive with the 2010, but it will be in limp mode. I bought the new one with the GM parts and labor warranty. Even though I'm installing it, if there's a problem, they cover parts and labor to fix it for 3 yr/100k miles(so about a year for me,lol).

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
            That’s a shit ton of miles
            I use the truck for work driving all over West Texas. I think I average 350 miles a day. October will be 4 years since and it will be right around 400k by the time that anniversary roles around.

Comment

Cost to have the original rebuilt? Knock off $1,000 for selling the one given to you maybe. Weigh that vs getting the new one reprogrammed
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                Any contact info for these buyers? He was trying to sell it and nobody bit on it. But I'm sure he'd be good with the core cash too.

I'd try PDQ first.

6101 Dowdell Rd
                Fort Worth, TX 76119
                Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
                Phone: (817) 523-8133

If you are in Dallas http://www.bishopengine.com but they can be a pain to deal with.

Or if you prefer Houston LKQ Best Core 281-820-9184. You might be able to drop it off at a local store or ATK with them. Not sure though, I've never actually sold them one.

Note the $1000 I quoted is what reman companies charge. I don't know what the street buying rate is but it's probably pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Cost to have the original rebuilt? Knock off $1,000 for selling the one given to you maybe. Weigh that vs getting the new one reprogrammed
                  Cost of downtime was factored into the decision. It's running again today with a warranty.

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  I'd try PDQ first.

6101 Dowdell Rd
                  Fort Worth, TX 76119
                  Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
                  Phone: (817) 523-8133

If you are in Dallas http://www.bishopengine.com but they can be a pain to deal with.

Or if you prefer Houston LKQ Best Core 281-820-9184. You might be able to drop it off at a local store or ATK with them. Not sure though, I've never actually sold them one.

Note the $1000 I quoted is what reman companies charge. I don't know what the street buying rate is but it's probably pretty good.
                  Thanks! The core from the dealer is $1000, so it's probably like that across the board. I'll get a hold of them and see what we can get!

Comment

Working...
                  X