DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum Forum for motorcycle questions and ride GTGs

Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
UserX
Negatron

Default Looking for a dirt bike recommendation

We recently moved, and now have some bad ass dirt road access through the Cleveland National Forest right outside our neighborhood. It runs for dozens of miles and up about 6,000 feet in elevation.

Anyway, I really want to buy a dirt bike but have no idea what to get. I'm not looking for something really fast or motorcross oriented, just a good trail bike. I do want something that will ride a passenger and I want four stroke. Street legal would be a plus too.

I'm only 5'6 and 150 lbs, so don't want something too tall. Not looking to spend a ton, but looking for something reliable too.

What are my options?
UserX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome

any "dirt" bike is going to suck for a passenger, and most dont even have passenger pegs.

hard to beat a xr650l or dr650, both affordable and reliable, street legal and electric start, and about your best bet for a passenger. they are big bikes though as far as riding single track, but they are capable and you can lower them. for just a single rider, cheap, reliable, street legal and electric start, i would say a cfr450x

if youre just talking forest roads, and most comfort for a passenger, any big adventure bike will handle that. v strom, klr650, etc... will be fine
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
jammeejamm
Lifer

save yourself some trouble and spend the money on a newer fuel injected model. fuck carburetors.

if you ride it alot, honda parts are typically cheaper for maintenance. other than that, sit on them and see what feels good.
jammeejamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Scott Mc
Outcast

Yamaha TTR 250 would be a good choice, I had a Dr 400 and loved it but it was really tall and heavy. I am 5'8" ish and 160 ish
Scott Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
VIP Member

I agree, the ONLY way to go is fuel injected... electric start is nice as well, and agree its gonna suck for a passenger.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
UserX
Negatron

Thanks for the responses so far. I completely agree on the fuel injection... I've owned several street bikes and it makes a huge difference.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 250... and I may sacrifice on the street legal aspect since I just need to ride one mile through my neighborhood to get to trails. The dual sport bikes seem to be considerably more expensive because they're very popular here.

And I doubt I will ride a passenger very often, but would be nice in a pinch. My wife wants to buy a quad for her and my son to ride on.
UserX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
krazy kris
Lifer

Second the yamaha ttr 225 or a honda crf230 electric start and great mid range power.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Ktm xc-w 200.
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
VIP Member

Sell the wife and kid... get two dirtbikes! A primary and a backup!

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
ram57ta
Lifer

If you're wanting to carry a passenger..don't count on much REAL off road riding other than maybe some access trails...and while a DRZ400 can handle the job...its going to be very taxed and the clutch won't last long. XR650L is a fantastic big bore thumper but it is probably way more geared for dirt than you want. The DR650 would be well suited for what you have asked...its got torque, it sits lower than the XR650L...makes similar power but delivers it more smoothly...and the seat is more comfy. I am currently keeping my eye on Craigslist for an XR650L.....they are tall, pretty heavy...but are also very capable.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
Fatass
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Ktm xc-w 200.
Second this. Or a gas gas ec 200/250. Less maintenance with the two stroke, better clutch (hydraulic), cheaper rebuilds, way more off-road capable than a xr/dr/drz.
Fatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatass View Post
Second this. Or a gas gas ec 200/250. Less maintenance with the two stroke, better clutch (hydraulic), cheaper rebuilds, way more off-road capable than a xr/dr/drz.
ill take a cable clutch over hydraulic, those 4 strokes listed wont even need a rebuild unlike a 2 stroke which will need top ends, but i will agree with better off road capability being much lighter, but generally more effort to ride than a 4 stroke.

me personally, i'm not even concerned with the ability to carry a passenger when talking dirt, i do however want a kickstand and electric start, 4 stroke and carb is perfectly fine with me
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #13
jammeejamm
Lifer

ktm and cheap might as well be two people that have never met. they do not even know the other exists.

i would not even mess with one unless you had a serious hook up with a dealer.

i am not brand loyal. i ride red bikes because i have so many extra parts and that is the brand i have the dealer discount. ktm is a fine machine. leaps and bounds over the past ten years. you pay for that shit though.
jammeejamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
Fatass
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
ill take a cable clutch over hydraulic, those 4 strokes listed wont even need a rebuild unlike a 2 stroke which will need top ends, but i will agree with better off road capability being much lighter, but generally more effort to ride than a 4 stroke.

me personally, i'm not even concerned with the ability to carry a passenger when talking dirt, i do however want a kickstand and electric start, 4 stroke and carb is perfectly fine with me
I guess it depends on what you like to ride. I ride single track/enduro more than anything and wouldn't trade my 300 2t for any 4. I switched from a 450, still have a 450 supermoto. Will have a 300 2t supermoto once it's time for a newer offroad bike.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
SS Junk
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
for just a single rider, cheap, reliable, street legal and electric start, i would say a cfr450x
Don't really know anything about dirt bikes. Have seen these advertised for around 5K from only a few years old to over 10 years old. What's a fair price and anything specifically to look for?
SS Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
Fatass
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Don't really know anything about dirt bikes. Have seen these advertised for around 5K from only a few years old to over 10 years old. What's a fair price and anything specifically to look for?
The 450x is a good bike, my supermoto is a 2008 450x. They haven't changed much through the years. The only issue I've had with mine was a broken kick start stop plate, known issue. Replaced two years ago and hasn't been a problem since. I've beat the ever living fuck out of that motor since I've had it and the valves have always been in spec. From street riding around DFW to 500-800 miles in a weekend in Arkansas three years in a row. There are radiator fan kits available for them, I just don't ride that bike off-road enough to justify it.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #17
Roger
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserX View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards a 250... and I may sacrifice on the street legal aspect since I just need to ride one mile through my neighborhood to get to trails. The dual sport bikes seem to be considerably more expensive because they're very popular here.
You might check the state and national park rules for the areas you want to ride. I've seen some park and forest roads listed as being for street legal, licensed, vehicles only.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #18
TX_Snake
Time Served

I know where a Yamaha TW200 is for 1800$. It is electric/ kick start, dual sport, quick but not blinding fast. Very fun motorcycles to explore on. Send me a PM and I can get you in contact with the owner.,
1995 Cobra #404
1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold
TX_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssjunk knows nothing, svo has a cr500