DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Food

Food Future Poop

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
Silverback
It's all in the reflexes

I got one from Jedi a while back, that he got from you, and have yet to defrost it.

I did however eat a steak from the ones bcoop had, and it was a mighty fine Ribeye.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Rafa
Lifer

Can I just cut these up and freeze them, or do I need to age them? Meat noobie.LOL
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Can I just cut these up and freeze them, or do I need to age them? Meat noobie.LOL
And to add to that......how exactly do you age them?
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Ok so I don't want to chime in here to much as there is alot of different opinions when it comes to aging meat . Some say leaving it in a freezer longer helps while others argue it stops the aging process. Some say to age properly you must keep at an optimal temp and never frozen like our meat coolers. Most of the meat I give out will already be aged a week or so . Now.. Does it taste different . I guess it's really up to the person . If I have misspelled or made no sense I'm sorry I'm typing on my iPhone
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
Rafa I can answer any questions you have In person if that helps When you pick them up
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Rafa
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
Rafa I can answer any questions you have In person if that helps When you pick them up

Cool man..thanks
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
That's a loaded question. When you pick them up they will be refrigerated (not frozen), and cryovac'd. At the very least, you need to let it age in the cryovac for a MINIMUM of 21 days.

Beyond that, there is two ways to age. Wet age, and dry age, and they are two different processes to do so. This is to be done in addition to aging in the cryovac. I'll post up some good links on the processes later. Most will find it difficult to wet or dry age properly at home, but for the nuts like me, you'll find a way to make it work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
That's a loaded question. When you pick them up they will be refrigerated (not frozen), and cryovac'd. At the very least, you need to let it age in the cryovac for a MINIMUM of 21 days.

Beyond that, there is two ways to age. Wet age, and dry age, and they are two different processes to do so. This is to be done in addition to aging in the cryovac. I'll post up some good links on the processes later. Most will find it difficult to wet or dry age properly at home, but for the nuts like me, you'll find a way to make it work.
I couldn't have said that better.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #29
Randy
Lifer

Ok, so what you let it sit on your counter for 21days? I have no idea about this aging thing.... and Im wanting to buy some of hines' meat so I'll need to know what to do.

Thanks
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
Geor!
Lifer

Quote:

That shit don't rot??

Geor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ok, so what you let it sit on your counter for 21days? I have no idea about this aging thing.... and Im wanting to buy some of hines' meat so I'll need to know what to do.

Thanks
No you would need to leave it at a perfect temp without freezing it . You can cut these now of you like you don't have to age them . When you buy them at Walmart they are roughly 10 days old . It's really hard for me to tell you the best way because I don't know the space or equipment you have. You
Can find a ton of valuable resources online about different ways of aging .
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #32
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geofster View Post
That shit don't rot??
Yes if you left it out it would. The meat here is cryovac sealed and kept about 29 degrees all the time . It is never frozen
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #33
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Maybe this will help. There is just to many different ways for me to get into great detail about this and typing it up in my phone. Soooo

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+properly+age+beef+#seen
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Actually try this link it will explain a little better

http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa030301a.htm
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Geor!
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
Yes if you left it out it would. The meat here is cryovac sealed and kept about 29 degrees all the time . It is never frozen
29 degrees is frozen.

Geor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
29 degrees is frozen.
I guess I should reword that. The room is kept at 29 degrees
Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
That shit don't rot??
Beef has a shelf life of about 7 weeks from slaughter to spoil (when kept within safe temp range). Bet you didn't know that did yous?

Hines may not know the exact date every time, but when I picked up my primals he was able to give me the slaughter date (it's not marked on the package, so if you do buy from him, ask). At the very least he can get you within a couple days of it.

If you didn't want to mess with wet or dry aging, you could let it age in the cryovac for up to six weeks from slaughter/pack date, then wash thoroughly, trim, and slice. It's important to check it every couple days to make sure a seal hasn't busted, or that it's not leaking. Usually not an issue, but it can happen. Then you can slice and cook, or freeze. Highly recommend vacuum sealing f you freeze, so it doesn't get freezer burn.

You HAVE to wash thoroughly though. Also, if you do let it go six weeks, you WILL get a bit of a smell when you open it. It's perfectly normal, no reason to worry. The whole process of aging is about the enzymes breaking down the fatty tissue.

To delve a little deeper -

Dry aging is when you unwrap and hang the primal in a temp and humidity controlled climate. Can be done in a fridge. But not one you open several times a day. You lose moisture, and about 20% weight loss when you dry age. As you lose moisture it concentrates the flavor. That's why dry aged steaks (Al Biernat's, for instance) has a more intense flavor. In the old days, dry aging wasn't even refrigerated. Every butcher had a dark corner they would put their primals in. Then after how ever many days, they would trim the bacteria and mold off, then slice in to steaks.

There are a couple ways to wet age, but most common is to just keep in cryovac in fridge for however long you want to. It's called wet aging, because you don't lose moisture. The flavor isn't as intense though. 95% of steakhouses wet age. Chain restaurants (not fine dining) usually don't age. It takes up a ton of refrigerated storage to do it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Thanks bcoop I don't have time to type that much. I will do everyone a favor and write the slaughter date on all peices. I can get you normally within 2 days of slaughter date even if I don't write it down due to I know what dates are on hand.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

Quote:
If you didn't want to mess with wet or dry aging, you could let it age in the cryovac for up to six weeks from slaughter/pack date, then wash thoroughly, trim, and slice. It's important to check it every couple days to make sure a seal hasn't busted, or that it's not leaking. Usually not an issue, but it can happen. Then you can slice and cook, or freeze. Highly recommend vacuum sealing f you freeze, so it doesn't get freezer burn.
This is refrigerated right? not frozen
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
Hines57
I fart under the covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
This is refrigerated right? not frozen
Yes but not like a fridge at home . Humidity and temp is very closely watched

Tags
buzzo enjoys tubesteak, hines says f*** dfwm, hines wont pay for ads, meat, meatspin.com