No announcement yet.

My 12yr old flame thrower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was on 65s when he quit. He has a 12 CRF150R in the garage that he has ridden once around the neighborhood...and he is too big for it. He's 5'11 so he could theoretically ride a 250f/450f but he really has no interest in MX anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      Kids have the choice of pitch or tee at this level. But my kid can rip it. As a left hander his course is already being charted (1b or P) so I focus a lot on his hitting.
      My 2 year old nephew swings left-handed and throws a 60/40 mix of right- and left-handed.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        Dave, my son is starting tball in the next few weeks. He is only 4 and he is a normal size kid that probably is going to be average size when he grows up. As a parent that didn't play organized baseball, what should I do to help him? I mean, I plan on going out back and practicing throwing and catching and fielding rollers, but is there anything else I can do?
        Yes...make it fun for him. Just play catch and give positive reinforcement and dont put pressure on him...yet. If he progresses and you/his coaches think he has a future in the sport, get him started with some lessons from an instructor around age 7-8. Until then, fun and repetition. I miss those years of the two of us just having fun and playing catch and going the the MX track. Before you know it, the little dude will be as big as you and not need you as much!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          Dave, my son is starting tball in the next few weeks. He is only 4 and he is a normal size kid that probably is going to be average size when he grows up. As a parent that didn't play organized baseball, what should I do to help him? I mean, I plan on going out back and practicing throwing and catching and fielding rollers, but is there anything else I can do?
          Put him in a one day camp for kids his age and watch what they do. If he likes it, you'll be able to pursue more and more with him. Cal Ripken has a good site with information and drills on it. Reference it. In a few years, put him in lessons if you can. It makes a difference. Here are some things I did with my boys that people thought were crazy, but they now know otherwise. I've been coaching for 25 years, and they're never too young to learn.

1) I painted dots in the grass when my oldest son was 2. We used them to hit off the tee. I put them where his feet should be (just more than shoulder width apart). Once he got there, I put a ball on the tee and he'd hit it. After watching it, he wanted another ball, but I'd just point to his feet. He'd line them up again, I'd put the ball on the tee, and he'd hit it. Before long, he was putting his feet where they're supposed to go without even seeing where the ball he hit went. He still does it to this day.

2) Do not let him 'wind up' to hit off the tee. Too many coaches have the kid hold the bat out just behind the ball on the tee and have the kids rotate backwards (winding up) to hit it. It's the worst possible habit to develop. Learn to swing the right way.

3) Play catch with him, but don't make it too easy. By that, don't constantly try to toss the ball into his glove so he can catch it. Go get different balls to use. First, start with one of those cheap rubber balls that are like 6" diameter. Don't use a glove and toss it to him. He will learn to catch it with 2 hands. Buy some Easton Incrediballs (they're cloth, indoor baseballs that are super soft). Let him use the glove while trying to catch them. Just teach him the glove is a shield and will keep him from getting hit. Also, it sounds cruel, but toss the ball towards his face/head/upper body. They need to learn that is where the ball will be thrown. It's not catching if he holds the glove up and you throw the ball in it.

That's a few quick things to get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            Glad to hear Colby is back to crushing it again, Dave. I love this time of year when the kids that work at it all the time really shine. Congrats to him and good luck on the season.

Jordan has settled in nicely on his new team. He's playing for the Dallas Patriots 10U premier team out of North Richland Hills. He's up to 5'5" and 130 pounds now. I should have you start sending me Colby's hand me downs!!! All they've done thus far is practice and intersquad. He finished the fall throwing 61/62 consistently from the mound with the 80% effort that his instructor wants and has run it up to 64/65 from time to time. It's almost impossible to hit from 46' away.

I let him swing his good bat during BP the other Friday on the field when it was almost 70 degrees out. He responded by hitting 5 balls into the parking lot into a stiff wind. The next morning he took a teammate deep in intersquad in the cold using his $20 Academy special bat. That kid throws upper 50's. He followed that up by going yard 2 more times this past Sunday in intersquad. His team is ready for some real games soon. They open play the first weekend in March and then we'll see how it goes. I know they're heading to San Marcos and Atlanta along with possibly a trip to Arizona. We were looking at a trip to Puerto Rico, but the team decided to wait a year. I'll get some pictures the first time they're on the field for real.

We should start a new thread and get a sticky where we can all post our kid pics from their activities.
            LoL...he has a lot of equipment he's outgrown! All good shit of course.

Sounds like Jordan and Colby have a lot in common and are following similar paths in the sport. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Comment

Just have a catch.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                LoL...he has a lot of equipment he's outgrown! All good shit of course.

Sounds like Jordan and Colby have a lot in common and are following similar paths in the sport. Let's hope they can keep it up.
                haha My garage is so full of gear it's not even funny. I bring old cleats to work to distribute 2 or 3 times a year. He gets about 65-70% use out of a pair before out growing them. I've got wood bats, aluminum bats, composite bats, etc. just begging for use. Some I'm holding on to for my 6 year old, but most is just collecting dust. I need to get rid of some of it.

Let me know what Colby thinks of the Mako after about a month. I've already used my swap on Jordan's Marucci Elite, so I can't swap it again once he dents it. He's swinging a 30/20 now in games and the old Worth Copperhead 30/22 in BP. I wish that bat had a stamp -- he launches bombs with it!!! I just got a 30/20 S3 back on warranty, but I haven't unwrapped it. I think I'm going to sell a few bats and pick up a 31/21 Mako for him to grow into. Jury is still out though, so I'd like to know what you guys think after a month or so. Jordan has hit with a demo before, but it's hard to tell in the cage.

Oh, and I hope they keep it up for sure! I pray daily that he keeps his nose clean and his grades up. I haven't figured out how to keep girls out of the picture yet though...

Comment

Given that he went back to back games with 2 HRs with it, I'd say he likes it. Three other parents went and bought it for their kids after this weekend. It will only get hotter as it breaks in.

Comment

Given that he went back to back games with 2 HRs with it, I'd say he likes it. Three other parents went and bought it for their kids after this weekend. It will only get hotter as it breaks in.
                    The one Jordan has used in the cage as a demo seems red hot. All I know is what I see from behind the screen doing front toss or pitching to him from the back end of the cage. The ball gets there in a hurry, but it also does off his wood bats. I may try to take it to the field sometime to let him swing it. He (and I) just love the balance and punch of the Marucci Elite. His weighs 20 ounces but feels like about 16 instead.

We need to get someone to endorse our boys and provide the bats for us!!!

Comment

Do these kids not get burned out in their late teens? I currently have no kids so I cant comment much by experience. I think it is a little crazy how nuts we have gotten over sports... But again no kid so my opinion may change. The $ for travel, equipment, leagues, etc just seems laughable these days. I have Co workers spending 15k a year on soccer. In the end is it worth it? I know many are financially stable enough that itt doesn't impact them but I am more talking about the "normal" American income. I guess I wonder if these kids are developing/excelling in all avenues to become great people and not just great athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                        Do these kids not get burned out in their late teens? I currently have no kids so I cant comment much by experience. I think it is a little crazy how nuts we have gotten over sports... But again no kid so my opinion may change. The $ for travel, equipment, leagues, etc just seems laughable these days. I have Co workers spending 15k a year on soccer. In the end is it worth it? I know many are financially stable enough that itt doesn't impact them but I am more talking about the "normal" American income. I guess I wonder if these kids are developing/excelling in all avenues to become great people and not just great athletes.
                        I had a handful of friends that were completely absorbed in a sport. Select teams, private lessons and practice everyday etc etc. Now they are in college and have moved on. None of them play sports at all anymore. Girls and Beer get in the way I guess! lol
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                          In the wrong system with a bad coach and parents that ruin it all? Yes, they absolutely get burned out. In the right situation where the kids come first, then not at all. I've been down this road many times before. $15K a year is a bit absurd though. If the goal is to get to college, then just save the money and pay for whatever school you want to attend. I don't spend near that on my kids -- I still probably spend too much though, but it would be spent on my car or something else instead that we enjoy doing.

As far as developing as people, that totally depends on the environment. My kid is an A student, and we do our best to raise him correctly through church, school, and in a social life. His team is Christian based and requires service work. They begin and end with prayer each session, and the coach requires report cards to play. There are much worse situations to be in. Like raising a child as a whole, it's all about the people around them that help them develop.

Comment

Agreed.
                            I can only speak for my son but as long as he wants to play this game I will be there to provide whatever support is needed. Colby is a good kid and is very mild mannered despite his size. I have no doubt that he will succeed in sports and in life. He is me with a much better family/support structure.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words...and yes, he's a big boy. Colby is like me when I was a kid...never study and make all A's on report cards. I am not concerned about his grades. My only concern is if he loses interest or let's girls help him lose sight of his goals.
                              You ever catch flak from coaches telling you to "real him in a little" on that fast ball, being he's only 12?

Have a coworker who's son is in HS and has been throwing a heater since Jr High and now in HS he's experiencing some tendon issues. They're assuming it may be related.

But congrats on the kid doc. Keep him on the straight!

David

Comment

Awesome reaponse brother! That is exactly what I hope for my daughter to be in June. The soccer thing is somewhat unique since her club team is owned by Sporting KC, but they travel all the damn time. The Dad is a great guy but only a firefighter. He paid that much the last 3ish yrs and she got a full ride to KU... But essentially he paid for it lol. Again glad to hear you guys have some great boys who are having good success!

Comment

Working...
                                X