DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Food

Food Future Poop

Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #21
bcoop
Lifer

I also brought home some Wagyu Denver cut steaks the other day that a customer was testing. They were phenomenal, did a reverse sear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
AnthonyS
Lifer

That's gonna require photos and a write up.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #23
AnthonyS
Lifer

Reverse sear?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #24
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Reverse sear?
Low temp (225-250) indirect until 120 internal. Pull steaks and rest, remove plate setter, diffuser or whatever the kamado Joe uses and crank the heat up. Steaks go back on a hot ass fire direct until desired temp.

Just the reverse order. It turns out a more tender steak IMO and gives more control over the Maillard reaction.

Here's the science behind it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/f...ting-tips.html
Quote:
Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #25
AnthonyS
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Low temp (225-250) indirect until 120 internal. Pull steaks and rest, remove plate setter, diffuser or whatever the kamado Joe uses and crank the heat up. Steaks go back on a hot ass fire direct until desired temp.

Just the reverse order. It turns out a more tender steak IMO and gives more control over the Maillard reaction.

Here's the science behind it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/f...ting-tips.html
That is interesting. I've been searing them off at about 600-700F and then fast cooking them the rest of the way around 450-500 steakhouse style.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #26
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

^^^
That's kinda of what I do with my steaks, Infrared for one minute per side, two times, then one minute per side in direct flame/heat five times, so about a 7 minute ribeye comes out fucking on point.
Only Kosher salt, crushed black pepper and Lowery's seasoning.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #27
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
That is interesting. I've been searing them off at about 600-700F and then fast cooking them the rest of the way around 450-500 steakhouse style.
That's how I had always done mine too, until I tried the reverse sear. If you think about it, it's how a lot of French restaurants and others who use sous vide do it. They sous vide all the steaks to 1 temp generally. They pull from the water bath to order, remove from bag, and sear to desired doneness. Give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh, Henry! Lawry's on a steak is a felony!
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #28
GrayStangGT
Lifer

Quote:
I also brought home some Wagyu Denver cut steaks the other day that a customer was testing. They were phenomenal, did a reverse sear.
We have a local meat shop that raises their own cattle that are Wagyu crossbreeds, first place I had ever seen Denver cuts and they are damn good and a lot more reasonable than the other steaks.
GrayStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #29
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStangGT View Post
We have a local meat shop that raises their own cattle that are Wagyu crossbreeds, first place I had ever seen Denver cuts and they are damn good and a lot more reasonable than the other steaks.
I'm 95% certain these steaks came from that butcher. I brought them home from Midland.
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #30
GrayStangGT
Lifer

Quote:
I'm 95% certain these steaks came from that butcher. I brought them home from Midland.
Sounds like it, this is the place where I get mine. The owners family is one of the original Midland ranching families. Great guy to deal with and produces an excellent product if I you are willing to spend the money.

http://www.midlandmeatco.com/
GrayStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #31
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStangGT View Post
Sounds like it, this is the place where I get mine. The owners family is one of the original Midland ranching families. Great guy to deal with and produces an excellent product if I you are willing to spend the money.

http://www.midlandmeatco.com/
Yep
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #32
yellowstang
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
^^^
That's kinda of what I do with my steaks, Infrared for one minute per side, two times, then one minute per side in direct flame/heat five times, so about a 7 minute ribeye comes out fucking on point.
Only Kosher salt, crushed black pepper and Lowery's seasoning.
Sounds like stir fry!
yellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #33
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstang View Post
Sounds like stir fry!
Sounds like he flips his meat way too much!
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
GeorgeG.
Lifer

one of you BGE aficionado's needs to throw a gtg so I can taste, first hand, the results. I don't see it being anything more than an outdoor oven as any kind of "smoking" goes but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and while it's essentially an outdoor oven, with enough wood chunks, I can still get some smoke flavor.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #35
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

I've been making my ribeyes, t-bones, NY strips like this since the summer of 2001 (minus the IR) and they come out delicious. This is on my Napolean grill with the IR side burner, not an EGG or KJ btw.
I was just responding that I cook in a similar way, didn't mean to offend you "Michelin Star Chefs"...
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #36
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
one of you BGE aficionado's needs to throw a gtg so I can taste, first hand, the results. I don't see it being anything more than an outdoor oven as any kind of "smoking" goes but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and while it's essentially an outdoor oven, with enough wood chunks, I can still get some smoke flavor.
I can guarantee you the egg will give you more smoke than any propane or electric smoker, or anything built by Masterbuilt.

Quote:
I've been making my ribeyes, t-bones, NY strips like this since the summer of 2001 (minus the IR) and they come out delicious. This is on my Napolean grill with the IR side burner, not an EGG or KJ btw.
I was just responding that I cook in a similar way, didn't mean to offend you "Michelin Star Chefs"...

Lighten up Francis. Just pointing out that too often people fuck with the meat too much. It doesn't need to be flipped more than once.
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #37
Craizie
Cracka

Quote:
I can guarantee you the egg will give you more smoke than any propane or electric smoker, or anything built by Masterbuilt.

Lighten up Francis. Just pointing out that too often people fuck with the meat too much. It doesn't need to be flipped more than once.
I flip my meat a lot.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #38
yellowstang
Lifer

Quote:
IR is for football, not steaks.
Just get a George Foreman grill and cook both sides at the same time!

yellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #39
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post

Sure man, I'm in Little Elm and you're welcome to come check it out... There's also "classes" at places like Premier Grilling where they show people recipes and how to use the egg, etc. LMK

And yes, it's WAY better than an outdoor oven (although it CAN do that too). I still have an offset smoker as well that admittedly DOES do a better job at smoking but takes way more fuel and human interaction but puts out better BBQ. With NO raw wood chunks (other than charcoal) I bet the BGE gets more smoke flavor than any propane or electric "smoker". There's a propane "smoker" at the lake house we use a lot that's about to get replaced with a BGE cause it's the exact same level of effort with way better results.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #40
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
Sure man, I'm in Little Elm and you're welcome to come check it out... There's also "classes" at places like Premier Grilling where they show people recipes and how to use the egg, etc. LMK

And yes, it's WAY better than an outdoor oven (although it CAN do that too). I still have an offset smoker as well that admittedly DOES do a better job at smoking but takes way more fuel and human interaction but puts out better BBQ. With NO raw wood chunks (other than charcoal) I bet the BGE gets more smoke flavor than any propane or electric "smoker". There's a propane "smoker" at the lake house we use a lot that's about to get replaced with a BGE cause it's the exact same level of effort with way better results.

The only thing I've noticed between my offset and the egg is that I don't get a deep smoke ring on more dense products like a brisket or pork butt. Admittedly, my offset was a piece of shit that required attention every 30 minutes. But it worked. Ribs (beef and pork) and poultry are fine, as is everything else I've smoked. It's getting plenty of smoke and the flavor is there deep in to the meat. The red ring just isn't as deep. Supposedly if it goes on cold it will get a deeper ring but I haven't tried.
Quote: