DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Food

Food Future Poop

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default Suggestions on water tight containers

I've been doing more camping the past few months and I've come to find that my Tupperware that I used forever to store food in really isn't cutting it anymore (I don't think it ever really did) as far as keeping melted ice water out.

In looking through Amazon I only see one brand that keeps coming up in my searches for water tight and also on Prime. Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Contai...TCCMN24T5&th=1
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
95DRGT
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,869
Default

Pelican case- probably extreme but ain't chit getting in there
95DRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
jluv
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Choobs FTW
Posts: 21,829
Default

Honestly, I've never had issue with quality Tupperware type stuff, or even plastic bags. Just don't buy the really cheap disposable containers. But ya, nowadays I mostly use plastic bags.
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,086
Default

I'd bag and tupperware it.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,699
Default

Another consideration is buying into a higher end cooler to help reduce the amount of water and using a tray/rack that keeps stuff up out of the water. I'm a Pelican cooler fan, but RTIC, YETI...etc are options too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default

So I use a Yeti and although ice doesn't melt as fast, it does melt. Especially when you are using it for storing drinks and it's being opened and closed frequently. I actually have two and try to keep food in just one to minimize opening and closing.

I have used good Ziploc bags in the past to keep them sealed but the last couple of times I picked up some big burger patties, they were a PITA sliding them in and out of the Ziploc bags. There perfectly fine when they are frozen, but as they thaw it's just easier if I can have them in a container that I can take the lid off of and pull it out. And I sometimes have trouble trusting Ziploc bags for water tightness.

I use the Yeti racks they come with but sometimes it's just not deep enough. I do need to pick up a couple of extras though to double up the amount of usable rack space. I think might pick up a couple of these containers and see if they work for me.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,086
Default

Maybe put your Tupperware into water tight bags?

http://www.kuiu.com/gear/pack-system...w3TxoCP-3w_wcB
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
jluv
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Choobs FTW
Posts: 21,829
Default

I'm not sure what's wrong with your stuff, but it shouldn't be that complicated. Any decent tupperware type containers should seal air and water tight. They should be able to be submerged completely in water inside your cooler and not get any inside unless they aren't closed all the way, or unless there is a crack or something. You know I camp a lot, and I've never had any issues. I don't even have a fancy Yeti, although I do have a nice Igloo Super Tough cooler that has served me very well at a fraction of the price (also lighter and has more room for its size). I sometimes make the lazy/bonehead mistake of not emptying my cooler for several days when I get home, so everything inside is floating around in water, but none inside of the containers or bags.

My guess is that your stuff is just worn out and not sealing well. Try a newer piece of good tupperware once and see if you have the same issue. I wouldn't waste a bunch of money buying anything fancy.
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
BradM
Bad Santa
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,848
Default

The lock and lock stuff is really good for keeping things dry. We use them as geocache containers and they hold up really well for being outside in the weather.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
I'm not sure what's wrong with your stuff, but it shouldn't be that complicated. Any decent tupperware type containers should seal air and water tight. They should be able to be submerged completely in water inside your cooler and not get any inside unless they aren't closed all the way, or unless there is a crack or something. You know I camp a lot, and I've never had any issues. I don't even have a fancy Yeti, although I do have a nice Igloo Super Tough cooler that has served me very well at a fraction of the price (also lighter and has more room for its size). I sometimes make the lazy/bonehead mistake of not emptying my cooler for several days when I get home, so everything inside is floating around in water, but none inside of the containers or bags.

My guess is that your stuff is just worn out and not sealing well. Try a newer piece of good tupperware once and see if you have the same issue. I wouldn't waste a bunch of money buying anything fancy.
Ya my tupperware stuff is 20+ years old and isn'tt sealing well anymore. I haven't priced out any new stuff but I'm guessing it will be more expensive then the ones I'm looking at getting through Amazon. Will it be better? Not sure. But I'll find out. Just hope it's big enough for what I'm planning on using it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
The lock and lock stuff is really good for keeping things dry. We use them as geocache containers and they hold up really well for being outside in the weather.
Thanks Brad, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
yellowstang
Lifer
 
yellowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 21,449
Default

We use that blue ice or other frozen shit to put in the cooler, not real ice. No water!
yellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstang View Post
We use that blue ice or other frozen shit to put in the cooler, not real ice. No water!
The only problem with that is a couple of my camping trips will be 4-5 days and I doubt they will stay frozen for that long. Usually I'll supplement the ice by freezing most of the water as well and drinking it as it melts. And a couple of our longer trips we have used dry ice but that can sometimes lead to freezing your stuff and having to thaw it out and also having trouble finding it wherever we are going.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,699
Default

Besides containers and all the other stuff, have you considered just draining the water?

I use as large of ice blocks as I can. When I go fishing on Texoma I go Friday evening and come back Sunday (sleep on the water...etc) - which clearly is not the same as a 4-5 day fishing trip. However, my cooler is used as a beer/water cooler as well AND for packing extra ice for the fish cooler. (hate stopping to go buy ice)...plus there is no shade on the lake, so the cooler works pretty hard.

The larger the block of ice, the longer it seems to be able to last. At the end of the trip when back home it seems like 3/4 of it are ready - while the smaller blocks 1/4 are ready.

Additionally, I have a bunch of PVC tubes with water in them that are frozen. I'll bring the cooler inside and put as many of those I can fit as well. Drops the plastic/cooler temps quite a bit so ice is not wasted cooling down the cooler.

If you got shade at camp site...that'll help.

Really though if you have a way to make large blocks of ice, or use milk jugs filled with water and frozen, that will help too.

I also noticed that not all ice machines out there are the same.

1. If a lot of use the ice is warmer which makes it slushy/melt sooner
2. Some of those once that dispense the ice dump too much water with it and you can tell it's going to melt a bunch before finished.

Again...ice at home is best...then can do the salt or whatever makes you feel better too.

I've also been thinking about these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053GVRWQ...d=8W01ESIVW698

However, I think they are too expensive for what they do and for most coolers they are as inefficient as a milk jug.

Anyway - just some ideas on how I prolong ice (and often drain it - is great to take sort of a afternoon washdown with. Colder then heck to cool off with). Maybe one or two will help you with what you're already doing. Frozen bottles of water...etc...etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Euless
Posts: 24,298
Default

I try to avoid cube ice if I can. I keep 5 or 6 one-gallon jugs of water in the freezer for this purpose. The trick with these, to keep it cold for a longer duration, is 'conditioning' your cooler first. When we go on the Colorado trip, for example, I will bring the cooler inside the night before and fill it with cube ice. Then when I am ready to load the food I will empty most, if not all of the cube ice and put my ice jugs in it with the food. I still supplement with a little cubed ice, mainly for drinks or after a few days up there, but I don't feel obligated to keep the water in the cooler at that point, and drain it regularly. Even after the 8 days or so we are gone, those jugs are still at least partially frozen.

We also try and freeze anything not being used the first couple days (primarily bottled water and meats).
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Euless
Posts: 24,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Besides containers and all the other stuff, have you considered just draining the water?

I use as large of ice blocks as I can. When I go fishing on Texoma I go Friday evening and come back Sunday (sleep on the water...etc) - which clearly is not the same as a 4-5 day fishing trip. However, my cooler is used as a beer/water cooler as well AND for packing extra ice for the fish cooler. (hate stopping to go buy ice)...plus there is no shade on the lake, so the cooler works pretty hard.

The larger the block of ice, the longer it seems to be able to last. At the end of the trip when back home it seems like 3/4 of it are ready - while the smaller blocks 1/4 are ready.

Additionally, I have a bunch of PVC tubes with water in them that are frozen. I'll bring the cooler inside and put as many of those I can fit as well. Drops the plastic/cooler temps quite a bit so ice is not wasted cooling down the cooler.

If you got shade at camp site...that'll help.

Really though if you have a way to make large blocks of ice, or use milk jugs filled with water and frozen, that will help too.

I also noticed that not all ice machines out there are the same.

1. If a lot of use the ice is warmer which makes it slushy/melt sooner
2. Some of those once that dispense the ice dump too much water with it and you can tell it's going to melt a bunch before finished.

Again...ice at home is best...then can do the salt or whatever makes you feel better too.

I've also been thinking about these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053GVRWQ...d=8W01ESIVW698

However, I think they are too expensive for what they do and for most coolers they are as inefficient as a milk jug.

Anyway - just some ideas on how I prolong ice (and often drain it - is great to take sort of a afternoon washdown with. Colder then heck to cool off with). Maybe one or two will help you with what you're already doing. Frozen bottles of water...etc...etc.
I have a couple of those water bricks, but I just use them for water. I have a spigot on one and that is our 'tap'.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Euless
Posts: 24,298
Default

Another thing that may help, that I plan to do this year, is to cut a sheet of reflectix to fit over the contents, inside the cooler. Just adding another layer of insulation up near the top, where most of the cold is lost.

If you're not familiar, it's the bubble wrap radiant barrier stuff.. This:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Bar...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I already use it for some other stuff (coozies and as a sit-pad) and it works pretty good.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default

Pretty much what you guys are suggesting is what I have already been doing for the past several years except for the draining of water once ice melts.

Initially I won't drain ice water from my cooler as it's still really cold (got that idea from the article below and it made sense to me). Once the cooler is more water than ice and/or the water has gotten past the cold phase and is warming up I'll dump it out then.

Here's a good article that taught me a lot and what I follow now using a mixture of dry ice and frozen water bottles when I can.

http://yeti.com/maximizing-ice-retention

I'll have to look into that Craig but my coolers are pretty thick already although the lids would be the weak spot. My cousin home built his own "Yeti" and this would really work great for him when he redoes it.

Anyway, I'm pretty much settled on the containers I'm going to buy and try in a couple of weeks when I go camping.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #18
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,699
Default

Ya man, those are just suggestions if you did not know about them. Sounds like you're pretty much backed into using sealed containers for food and ice or one or the other.

Out of curiosity, what food specifically is getting soggy on you that you do not like getting soggy?

Reason I ask, is a lot of campers/hikers will dehydrate their meals and then reconstitute it in the field and warm it that way. Then it can be in vacuum sealed..etc.

A lot of times I'll can some meals when camping (chili as an example) or just buy canned foods. Then it can be in the cooler or just in a pack.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
juiceweezl
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,678
Default

We have these in multiple sizes: https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-301...e+food+storage

We use them obviously in the fridge at home but we pack stuff in them for baseball on the weekends. I've never had one take on water in the cooler even if I pile stuff on top of it forcing it underwater. We've been using them for years and have bought multiple add-on pieces/sizes. The only thing that has ever been a problem is the vent piece on top will eventually wear out where it bends if you keep opening it. They work great.
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #20
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Ya man, those are just suggestions if you did not know about them. Sounds like you're pretty much backed into using sealed containers for food and ice or one or the other.

Out of curiosity, what food specifically is getting soggy on you that you do not like getting soggy?

Reason I ask, is a lot of campers/hikers will dehydrate their meals and then reconstitute it in the field and warm it that way. Then it can be in vacuum sealed..etc.

A lot of times I'll can some meals when camping (chili as an example) or just buy canned foods. Then it can be in the cooler or just in a pack.
Ya I just prefer to use sealed containers over zip lock bags even though they are bulkier. What I normally have problems with is meat like fajitas, chicken, fish, or burgers. My old Tupperware lids have gotten warped over the years and don't seal that good or are very hard to seal. I try to keep it on top of the ice but invariably it'll get dunked in the ice as it melts or a move stuff around and can get water logged.

Ya I have a dehydrater and a vacuum sealer that I use. I've done chilli mac, chicken, different kinds of jerky (fajita jerky is the bomb!!!) and I'll vacuum seal some stuff like vegetables to last longer when going on week long camping trips to keep them fresher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
We have these in multiple sizes: https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-301...e+food+storage

We use them obviously in the fridge at home but we pack stuff in them for baseball on the weekends. I've never had one take on water in the cooler even if I pile stuff on top of it forcing it underwater. We've been using them for years and have bought multiple add-on pieces/sizes. The only thing that has ever been a problem is the vent piece on top will eventually wear out where it bends if you keep opening it. They work great.
Might be a little small for what I was initally looking for but maybe can use them for planned single serving meals or salads. Thanks!
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nays pooper=not tight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.