Herniated disc in my lower back..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
    Exactly how I felt. My back never hurt, it was just everything from basically both ass cheeks and everything down. I let mine go too far, was a stupid 19-20 year old kid and didn't go see a dr. about it. I have urinary nerve damage (don't know for sure that's the technical term) but if I tweak my back it feels like someone is stabbing me in the bladder when I piss. When I finally checked in for surgery, they measured me at 5'10'' (I'm 6' 2'') just from the slouching, etc, trying my best to even stand up and walk around.

Now, my back - right where I had surgery - hurts only if I tweak it and do something stupid without thinking. I am back to benching/lifting heavy and this past Monday-Wednesday my back was cranked pretty bad. I think it's because I did weights followed by a pretty solid ab workout 2 days in a row. It seems the ab workouts hurt my back more than lifting pretty decent amounts of weights. I will say this, and others might certainly disagree, but for me finding a damned good neurosurgeon (not orthopedic surgeon) was the key.
    what procedure did you have?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      what procedure did you have?
      Discectomy. Best thing I ever did (but only b/c I let mine go so bad). The morning after my surgery I stood at the window in my hospital room and just looked out the window for 2 hours. I hadn't been able to stand in almost 2 years without the pain absolutely killing me. Looking back, I should have attacked the problem early and went through other options than surgery. I let it get so bad it was the only real option.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I'm hoping to find a solution that will allow me to return to a semi-normal life style. I can't move any heavy boxes at work, sometimes easy physical activites hurt, there are times it hurts to press the clutch on my truck.

Comment

I'm hoping to find a solution that will allow me to return to a semi-normal life style. I can't move any heavy boxes at work, sometimes easy physical activites hurt, there are times it hurts to press the clutch on my truck.
          Listen to others' advice about non-surgical options. Even though mine went extremely well, back surgery is still a crap-shoot. Mine was a ruptured L4...and I'm not joking at all when I say that time period (especially right before I got it fixed) was the lowest point in my life. I had a Dr. read an MRI and tell me there was nothing they could do for me, I had the back of an 85 year old, etc, and I'd just have to live with it. I was a 20 year old guy who couldn't walk, sit, stand, sleep, anything b/c of the pain. I gave up on everything for a while...it was an awful, awful fucking time of my life. I literally thank God every day for sending me a connection to the Dr. who fixed it.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

One more thing. If you opt for an epidural, take the juice. I tried my first without it, and drove myself there and back. Way more dangerous than driving at twice the legal limit. Also note that when Aetna approved this, they did not approve the anesthesia, so they tried to stick me for several hundred for shot 2 and 3.

One more vote for all non surgical first. Do the research.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I am not sure what model I have but I know it's about 10 years old. Bought it off Craigslist for $100. The more modern units are much more adjustable and comfortable. My boss also bought his off Craigslist. He went looking for a new one but they can run $300-400 for the nice ones. He spent $150 and got one of the newer units that go for $399 at Dick's Sporting Goods. His is almost identical to this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11769673

Most people try them and give up immediately because they don't like or can't handle the head rush from being inverted. I admit I was one of those people. After a few weeks I started up again and just did very short lengths and built up my tolerance. I am doing about 10min twice a day now with no problems.

For those with an inversion table, which table do you have? Are they all pretty much the same?

Comment

Another vote for ADR if it comes down to surgery. Like everyone else has said, try every non surgical procedure first. I had mine in 2005. I could tell as soon as I woke up from the surgery that my back was better.

This is what it looks like.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                George Orwell

Comment

I'm going to look into an inversion table. I've been sleeping on my back with a pillow under my legs the last few nights and that has seemed to offer some progressive relief. Yesterday I still had the leg pain, today, its more of a lower back stiffness.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecouperedvert
                    But are you having bad leg pain due to a pinched nerve?? Right now my back feels ok, its my freaking leg I can barely walk. Starting to sound like surgery will the best option.
                    I did when I first started going to the Chiro. Remeber a good Chiro will tell u if he can not help you

Comment

Yes....Spine Team Texas....Dr. David Rothbart. 5-years fixed now. I saw a lot of Quacks before I found him.
                      70' Chevelle RagTop
                      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I went to Rothbart too, its been almost 3 years. I had an obliterated disc and a herniated disc above it. The shattered disc had blown out into my spinal canal and I lost the feeling and vertical movement in my left leg and foot. Funny thing is that a blew off the back pain for a long time but started having the most severe pain in my left foot and realized that I had no feeling in my toes and up to my knee. Rothbart asked me to stand on my tip toes on the left at my first consult and nothing happened. After surgery I did not get back the sensation and still have some problems with my lower back, but still MUCH better than before. Best of luck.

Comment

Got a lot of rest this weekend, and Vicodin about an hour ago. So the pain is subsiding some. Just have a few more days of work then taking some time off for the holiday weekend. Can't wait to talk to the Doc about this crap.
                          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                            Yes....Spine Team Texas....Dr. David Rothbart. 5-years fixed now. I saw a lot of Quacks before I found him.
                            Did you have a surgical procedure?
                            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by marcs95gt View Post
                              i had spinal decompression and it worked for me. Got it done at a board members chiro clinic. They did a great job on me and recommend them. I have a herniated Disc and had pain for several years untill i went to get treatment With Andre.
                              Thank you sir, glad we could help !
                              2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                              Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                              Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                              Speedlogix Catch Can
                              Resonator Delete

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                                L5/S1 herniation right side lateral 10.1mm

PT helped improved range of motion and reduce symptoms of sciatica. Traction felt good, but relief is quite temporary.

Having Micro-endoscopic Discectomy performed next month. I'm tired of messing around with it. Conservative treatment is not going to yield desired results a 10mm herniation. And I finally found a way to admit that to myself.

Good luck to the OP. This particular back problem can really put limitations on your life, especially for those who continually symptomatic. Be aggressive at finding a good Dr./Physical Therapist and treatment plan. Whatever that may be for you.
                                My surgery is in 2 weeks. Going to be a bit more involved than I originally anticipated. Wish me luck. Not sitting up for 2 weeks is going to be interesting.
                                Last edited by LS1Goat; 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X