‘Predator’ Reboot by ‘Iron Man 3′ Director Shane Black in the Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Predator’ Reboot by ‘Iron Man 3′ Director Shane Black in the Works

Movie remakes and reboots are (unfortunately) a standard part of the business these days – and it seems like no property is too sacred to be meddled with. And yet, after years of some lackluster reboot films, we have, admittedly, seen more and more reboots that actually manage to follow our rules for redux success, offering a different or exciting spin on a property we thought we knew. 21 Jump Street, Dredd and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are examples of some recent reboots that managed to justify their recycling of old intellectual properties – with films like The Equalizer and Terminator Genesis offering at least the hope that future reboots will be just as worthwhile.

Then again, there are plenty of reboots that fail for one reason or another (Dredd), and there are also films that we consider SO sacred that they should not be meddled with at all. In that latter category we would place classic films like Casablanca or The Godfather – but also an action movie classic like Predator. Now, much to our collective horror, it’s being reported that Predator is indeed getting a reboot (a bullet we thought we dodged last year), with the story being crafted by none other than Iron Man 3 director, Shane Black.

THR dropped the news that 21st Century Fox has tapped Black to reboot Predator. To be specific, Black will handle the treatment for the project, and then hand actual scripting duties to Fred Dekker, who is best known for writing/directing late ’80s/early ’90s cult films like Robocop 3 and The Monster Squad – which itself was almost remade a few years back. Black and Dekker (the Hollywood guys, not the tool parts company) have strong collaboration history; they co-wrote Monster Squad together, which has got to count for something (and does, at least in our book). On his own, Black has history with the Predator franchise: it’s a not-so-secret story that as young screenwriting prodigy (Lethal Weapon), he was given a small role in the original 1987 film as attempted bribery for him to polish the script. (See him in the cast photo below standing behind Schwarzenegger’s right side.)

No details yet on exactly how the studio plans to reboot the franchise – but it certainly is a looming question. After two installments in the late ’80s era (touching 1990, if we’re getting technical) – and slogging through Aliens vs. Predator films during the early to mid-2000s – the Predator franchise got its best shot at new life with the Robert Rodriguez-produced Predators in 2010. That film was supposed to be a hard reboot of the franchise, and soon after its modest reception ($127 million worldwide on a $40 million budget) there was serious talk of a Predators sequel. Four years later and it’s obvious that Predators 2 lost all momentum – so what’s the game plan to make this Shane Black reboot more enticing?

With Black teaming with another ’80s/90s veteran – not to mention John Davis, a producer on the original film – it seems that this time, there’s going to be an attempt to recapture the nostalgia of the first film. Does that mean bringing back Arnold Schwarzenegger in some capacity? Wouldn’t be surprised if it did. Beyond that, a Christmas setting is about the only bet we can make right now (Black loves to set his films during the holidays).

After Iron Man 3, however, there is going to be no end to the barrage of jokes fans are going to toss at this new Predator project. For as much money as IM3 made, hardcore fans were less than thrilled with some of the… “liberties” that Black took with the material. “So what, we going to find out that the Predator wasn’t a REAL alien – just a junky English actor in a body suit?” Yep, we can already hear the jokes spreading across the Interwebs…

Bottom line, though: Predator is one of the last movies from my younger years that I still carve out time to watch nearly every time I catch it on TV. For nearly all of my thirty-two years of life, it’s been there to bring me entertainment and pleasure on some of the most dreary, lazy, sickly, or boring days. Never once have I wished to have an updated version to replace the jungle misadventures of Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, Jesse Ventura, Sonny Landham, Richard Chaves and Kevin Peter Hall in the Predator suit – and I’m probably not alone in saying that I haven’t started wishing for that change in recent years. In my eyes, this reboot is facing a steep uphill climb to relevancy and/or appreciation.

We’ll keep you updated on the status of the Predator reboot.

Way to ruin one of my favorite movies.
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Enough of the fucking reboots already.

Comment

I hope they make it dark.
      sigpic

www.metroplexkustoms.com

Comment

it would be better of they would just grab that same movie idea and just call it something different.

Comment

how can it be a reboot, hell the last one made was maybe 4-6 yrs ago.

Comment

not mentioned is that they are making it pg13! with it being pg13 its just going to be watered down bullshit. Imagine the original with out the dirty jokes, or the onscreen death count (84). It will just be some b rated monster movie at that point

Comment

W00t! No Reboot!

While the initial report said that Black’s new PREDATOR film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing PREDATOR mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”
              Shane Black announces that his PREDATOR update is more of a sequel than a reboot, as originally reported.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

While I don't like the any of the sequels all that much, the first one is a classic in the best way, and less than stellar predator is better than none at all. The pg13 part is scary though. I hope they stick to the tone and make it R.

Comment

The released Predator in bluray 3D a while back. I watched it it at my friends house and thought it looked pretty good.
                  Originally posted by talisman
                  I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                  Originally posted by AdamLX
                  If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  Because fuck you, that's why
                  Originally posted by 80coupe
                  nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                  Originally posted by Rick Modena
                  ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

OG Predator is fucking tits.

I like the idea of diving into the story and giving us something new, but the last one was lame. And PG13 will ruin it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by silvercobra03 View Post
                      I hope they make it dark.
                      This!

I liked AVP and one or two of the sequels but the first one is a classic.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Comment

I read somewhere that they are giving this movie an R rating to make a more entertaining (violent and bloody) movie similar to what Logan did. I'm hoping it's as good.

Comment

Comment

You guys know Shane Black was Hawkins in the original, right? And that he wrote a bunch of fun shit like Lethal Weapon?
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X