Foxbody Quarter window trim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxbody Quarter window trim...

Mine is dry-rotted... has pits in it etc. I REALLY don't want to have to replace the whole window just to fix the trim... any alternatives?

A friend suggested trying to fill the pits in with some type of bondo or filler primer, sanding smooth, then using black trim paint... Thoughts?

I have Steeda plastic covers on mine, they look great, imo.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

fill then Plastidip

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
        fill then Plastidip
        How thick does that stuff go on? Is it an aerosol?

Comment

its a spray, youtube it. It's quite handy for things like this.

Comment

sand, high build primer, sand, high build primer, repeat as necessary till smooth.
            Then SEM trim paint or that stuff 50resto sells.
            07 GT500
            05 SRT10
            88 turbocoupe T-bird
            93 Cobra
            86 coupe
            Ducati 848

Comment

I've done several set for friends by sanding them and using a little glazing putty. sand and prime a few times and follow with some SEM trim/bumper paint.
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                fill then Plastidip
                wow, that is some pretty cool stuff! might have to try it on the next set I do. I have a set of coupe windows in the garage.
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

What kind of putty should I get? I'm new to all this, and I see tons of different kinds and they are all expensive so I only want to guess once!

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                    I have Steeda plastic covers on mine, they look great, imo.
                    This is what I have used and they look great. Better than spending the time to fix the dry rot. I have also replaced thre entire window, but this is what my baller customers do.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                      What kind of putty should I get? I'm new to all this, and I see tons of different kinds and they are all expensive so I only want to guess once!

I've used this stuff on paint chips on plastic bumpers and it seems to work fine so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the trim.
                      Last edited by projectPONY; 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM.
                      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Metal Glaze works good on the qtr window trim. Like you said then prime block and paint.

Comment

I will be doing the fill then plasti dip route on mine too. Plasti dip is awesome stuff.
                          2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                          2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                          2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by sspstang View Post
                            I will be doing the fill then plasti dip route on mine too. Plasti dip is awesome stuff.
                            I had trouble removing the tape after spraying the plastidip... If you remove it while its still wet, then you should be fine. But you have to re-tape for each re-coat. If you tape, spray, and let it dry... you'll mess it all up when you peel the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                              I had trouble removing the tape after spraying the plastidip... If you remove it while its still wet, then you should be fine. But you have to re-tape for each re-coat. If you tape, spray, and let it dry... you'll mess it all up when you peel the tape.
                              I know plasti dip is supposed to be thick, so that makes since. I would only be looking at a roll of 3m tape, so that wouldn't be that big of a deal. Do you have any finished pics?
                              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Working...
                              X