Big Green Egg vs. Costco brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Green Egg vs. Costco brand

I've about had it with my Weber gas grill, it never lights the middle burner (without using a match), and I can't find a replacement burner at any store I go too. I've been thinking of a different grill anyhow, so was looking at this at Costco this weekend.

Similar to the Green Egg, just cheaper. How hard is it to use for someone who has used a gas grill for the last elevtybillion years? Does the Green Egg also have 2 grills inside, that you can flip one sideways to get underneath to another rack?

<-- smoker/char griller newbie

Vision Grills Manufacturer Warranty: lifetime for all ceramic parts, five (5) years for all metal parts, 90-days for side shelves, 90-days for temperature gauge and 1-year for cover. This Warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners.

BGE Manufacturer Warranty:The Big Green Egg (“BGE”) was the first ceramic grill manufacturer in the world to stand behind its products by offering a Limited Lifetime Warranty, and has maintained this standard for over twenty years! Today, each Big Green Egg is carefully inspected and certified to be the highest-quality product of its kind, and we continue to offer best-in-class customer service and warranty support to purchasers of the Ultimate Cooking Experience!™
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE BIG GREEN EGG LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
    1. THE BIG GREEN EGG: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (XLarge, Large, Medium, Small and Mini) carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer (the “Warranty”) and has registered their Warranty as required. This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG® or covered component, except for other ceramic, metal and wood components which are covered as explained below. This warranty is in addition to and does not affect your statutory rights.
    2. OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS: The Big Green Egg brand of Plate Setter and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original purchaser. These ceramic components are not covered for breakage from dropping, misuse or abuse.
    3. METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, dual function metal top, cooking grid, fire grate and draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Warranty to the original purchaser.
    The Big Green Egg makes every effort to utilize materials that resist rust and to use high temperature paint on metal surfaces. However, metal materials and protective coatings can be compromised by various surface scratches or exposure to substances and conditions beyond BGE’s control. Among other things, chlorine, industrial fumes, chemicals, fertilizers, extreme humidity, lawn pesticides and salt are some of the substances that can corrode paint and finish on metal coatings. For these reasons, the Warranty on Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Components DOES NOT COVER RUST, OXIDATION, FADING or other BLEMISHES unless it also results in a loss of structural integrity or a failure of these components of the EGG.
    4. WOOD COMPONENTS: Wood items, including EGG Mates and Genuine BGE Tables, carry a Limited One (1) Year Warranty to the original purchaser. Only Genuine BGE Tables are covered under this Warranty – please be certain the table you purchased is a Genuine BGE product. Wood products are not covered for normal cosmetic changes, weathering or cracks unless there is also a loss of structural integrity.
    NOTICE: DO NOT place an EGG directly on or near a combustible surface, deck, table or other support without the use of a BGE Metal Nest or Metal Table Nest, or without making use of other fireproof barrier such as a 2” concrete paver block under the EGG, as this will void the Warranty and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. See Getting Started and Safety Tips at BigGreenEgg.com.
    5. TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND GASKET: Gaskets and the Temperature Gauge carry a Limited One (1) Year Warranty to the original purchaser.

Comment

BGE sells some racks that are kind of similar to that, but it doesn't come with one. I personally really like mine and use several times a week, I don't know if the costco ones are the same quality or not. Seems like when I got mine the package deal from BBQ galore was $850 with a stand, place setter, grate tool, coal tool, fire starter and big bag up BGE lump coal.

This guy has a lot of info about cooking on ceramic grills
      Ceramic charcoal cooking, kamado cookers, barbecue, recipes, charcoal reviews and more!

Comment

95% of what I buy from Costco is a good deal and great quality. Still they have the occasional f'up on products that suck and/or cost too much.

They do have an excellent return policy though. So, you could pick it up and use it for a month or two heavily and decide if you like it. It sucks to be that way, but if you don't like it - take it back.

I know what the warranty says, but 90% of the people out there don't follow up/pursue it on the cheap parts anyway. Hell, grates go forever.

Although, if it's 5% cost difference to have the full lifetime from them - I'd buy into the BGE for that.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          95% of what I buy from Costco is a good deal and great quality. Still they have the occasional f'up on products that suck and/or cost too much.

They do have an excellent return policy though. So, you could pick it up and use it for a month or two heavily and decide if you like it. It sucks to be that way, but if you don't like it - take it back.

I know what the warranty says, but 90% of the people out there don't follow up/pursue it on the cheap parts anyway. Hell, grates go forever.

Although, if it's 5% cost difference to have the full lifetime from them - I'd buy into the BGE for that.
          We've used the Costco warranty on several things, they are easy to get a refund/replacement on stuff for sure. I'm gonna go and see a BGE this week and just compare the "feel" of it to this one. This one certainly feels sturdy and heavy, not cheap like some grills feel (you know, you open the lid and think, damn, it could just fall of!).

Comment

I can't comment on the Costco brand, but my Dad has a BGE and that thing kicks ass. By going with the BGE instead of a random brand you get access to all kinds of aftermarket and OEM stuff that will work with the egg, you get a great and proven product for a little more, and you get access to egghead stuff like meets and forums and whatnot (if you really care about that).

I am sure that the other brands work fine though, and I have never heard anything negative about them but I have yet to see them in action.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

"Limited Lifetime Warranty" irritates the shit out of me. Fucking marketing jackasses. And people are too stupid to read it through and understand what is not included anyways. Just causes more problems down the road.

I've never used either personally. Though many friends swear by the BGE. I still think they are just lazy bastards.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Take a look into these(for the money)...

It is not ceramic, but it does hold heat very well.
                I cooked on it for 12hrs with 5lbs of charcoal.

Here are some reviews...

Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Decided to fire mine up and enjoy a cold brew tonight, go get you one, you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                    Decided to fire mine up and enjoy a cold brew tonight, go get you one, you won't regret it.

DAMN YOU!!! Not making this any easier...

I do want one, like right now, LOL. I don't wanna go cheap, but don't wanna let go of the $$$ either...

I was thinking tho, the Costco one is HUGE, especially for just 2 people. I doubt I'd ever use or need both grills/racks in it. Have to see how big a medium egg is, but large seems the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      DAMN YOU!!! Not making this any easier...

I do want one, like right now, LOL. I don't wanna go cheap, but don't wanna let go of the $$$ either...

I was thinking tho, the Costco one is HUGE, especially for just 2 people. I doubt I'd ever use or need both grills/racks in it. Have to see how big a medium egg is, but large seems the way to go.
                      That costco verison is only $100 or so cheaper than the real deal, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        That costco verison is only $100 or so cheaper than the real deal, isn't it?
                        I think where costco is trying to come out ahead is with accessories. Some of them stupid, but things like a cover are nice...etc...etc. Even though, I don't cover my stuff anymore.

Anyway - I don't think there is a wrong choice - just make one.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          I think where costco is trying to come out ahead is with accessories. Some of them stupid, but things like a cover are nice...etc...etc. Even though, I don't cover my stuff anymore.

Anyway - I don't think there is a wrong choice - just make one.
                          One thing I was thinking of, if the seal needs to be replaced, the Egg is probably easier to get, since there are resellers all over. I'll probably get one this week/weekend and use it Sat night or Sunday, see if I can cook on it, LOL.

I am craving a good burger now, shit...

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            One thing I was thinking of, if the seal needs to be replaced, the Egg is probably easier to get, since there are resellers all over. I'll probably get one this week/weekend and use it Sat night or Sunday, see if I can cook on it, LOL.

I am craving a good burger now, shit...
                            If you do a lot of high heat cooking like Steak and pizzas you will eventually burn out the seal, I'm about to order a high heat nomex gasket to replace the factory one. Mine isn't completely gone, but it is about half burned through in a few spots after using it for 10 months or so.

Comment

Doing a little more research on the 2 grills, looks like Costco wins! LOL. BGE is great, no doubt, but really, for the price and reviews, the Vision Classic Kamado seems to be just as good. Sorta reminds me of VitaMix vs. BlendTec. Parts should be available either on Visions website, or a few local resellers, like Home Depot and True Value, so if I do need a replacement seal, not worried about finding one.

Saw the BGE at Ace HW tonight, nice grill, higher price!

Edit: At Costco it is $569.99, the online price inculdes shipping, whic you don't need if you pick it up in store. Almost half the price of the BGE.

A bunch of reviews here:

Comment

Working...
                              X