Is Smokey Yunick running VW these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
    So if one of these little VW's drove past those road side sniffers, would it set it off and the owner get a ticket/warning in the mail? Never understood how those damn things worked, or if they even did. Maybe only for gas cars???
    Where have you seen one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
      Where have you seen one of these?
      They used to put them on the NB 360 on ramp at I-30 all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        Also if they follow Hyundai's example they'll be paying owners the difference in what the advertised fuel economy was and what it is after the modifications.

Basically owners visit a dealership once a year to document the mileage and Hyundai mails them a debit card for the difference based on local fuel prices and miles driven.

So taking a 2013 tdi Jetta as an example they advertised 39mpg combined. Some preliminary estimates are saying to expect up to a 25% loss in fuel economy after they are modified to comply. For someone that drives as much as I do that'd easily be worth $250 a year for as long as I own the car.
        Hmm. So if they do this should I get it recalled or not. I drive 24k miles per year and price shop my diesel. My avg from day 1 is 39.8 hand calculated.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          Hmm. So if they do this should I get it recalled or not. I drive 24k miles per year and price shop my diesel. My avg from day 1 is 39.8 hand calculated.
          You probably won't have a choice

Comment

I doubt the EPA is going to federally, selectively inhibit registration of non-updated vehicles on a nationwide scale. There's simply no infrastructure for it. They're in it for the money, and there's no money in that.

States like CA where there already exists a regime that prevents registration unless recalls are performed it will definitely be an issue.

But... the ability of the federal government to light a hundred dollar bill on fire in order to provide enough light to pick up a penny can't be completely discounted either
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I think texas has the ability to do this as well so I would expect it in the near future.

Comment

there's no smog inspection infrastructure in TX for diesel vehicles.

Ford has "emissions recalls" on the 6.7 Ford, but there's no problem registering trucks that haven't been updated. Completely different story in CA

GRANTED, this is a far different ball of wax.

I doubt that they will have to retrofit SCR to meet NOx. But it'll be a shitstorm of greatly reduced fuel efficiency and far accelerated clogging of particulate filters, considerably more EGR issues, etc.

It's a cluster fuck for sure, and nothing good is going to come of it... other than the entertainment value of the shit-show

Comment

Along with hopefully a good deal on a used Passat tdi in which will then be stripped of emissions and tuned out. Once the car is compliant of course.

Comment

More...

Some 2.1 million Audis affected worldwide include 1.42 million in western Europe, with 577,000 in Germany, and almost 13,000 in the US

The Audi models affected include the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, TT, Q3 and Q5 models, a spokesman told the Reuters news agency.

Comment

Switzerland Bans Sales Of Some VW Diesels

Switzerland has announced that it will temporarily halt the sale of Volkswagen diesel-engine vehicles after it was revealed earlier this month that the automaker cheated on emissions tests.

Thomas Rohrbach, spokesman for the Swiss federal office of roadways, is quoted by The Associated Press as saying that "the ban is on all cars with diesel engines in the 'euro 5' emissions category. It includes all VW models — as well as Seat, Skodas and others in the VW group."

The BBC says that could affect 180,000 unsold cars in the country that have 1.2-liter, 1.6-liter and 2-liter diesel engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        I doubt that they will have to retrofit SCR to meet NOx.
                        Not so fast...
                        It looks like the Euro engines will need SCR retrofits.

In Europe, VW will need hardware fixes for about 3 million cars affected by the diesel-emission manipulations. Cars featuring a 1.6-liter engine will require the technical tweaks, while software updates are sufficient to make the other affected engines compliant, VW said on Wednesday. The company reaffirmed on Thursday that its latest diesel engine complies with European regulations.
                        US hasn't been determined yet, but don't rule it out.
                        Michael Horn, VW’s U.S. chief, told Congress in testimony on Oct. 8 that the company is considering a combination of software and hardware repairs. Many of the older cars may require a retrofit with technology VW once eschewed but is used in most other diesels cars sold in the U.S., a system known as urea-based selective catalytic reduction.

Comment

That's gonna sting

Comment

This is HOW they got busted... It's an interesting read.

Comment

They should start another company, call it AM or something and roll all of their profitable business into it while leaving the losers under the VW name. Then file bankruptcy with the VW name and let the government take it over.

Or does that only work with American car companies?

Comment

Well we are getting closer. VW rejected my registration I submitted because it expired in September and is not current. I replaced the car back in July to let it sit until bought back.
                                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                                X