Rear end Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end Problem?

2010 mustang GT with supposively new 3.55 gears installed with traction lok. A aftermarket cover also installed, makes no noise what so ever and no slack. The problem is that it pukes some fluid out the vent hose every time you drive it over 10=15 miles. Also the bottom of rear end you cannot touch it very long, pretty hot. Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated, I did not do the gears, some speed shop supposively done them.

Thanks DON

They did not know how properly set up the gear set and it is causing a great deal of heat to build up and the oil is boiling. Unfortunately they probably ruined the gear set and you will need a new set installed properly to fix the problem. Ford OE gear sets sold through Ford Motorsports are the easiest to install properly.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'd agree with everything svauto said based on your info DC

Comment

Could this be one's problem?

Is your rear differential cover killing your gears? After more than a year of research, Gale Banks and the Engineering team discovered that some covers do mo...

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
          Could this be one's problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XgpmBR-3Fc
          I gave this a thought as well when I first read the post, but I don't think that would be his issue given how short a drive time he said it can act up with. I watched Banks video where they installed a flat backed diff cover like a Mag Hytec brand and did testing at various speeds to show the effects and loss of lubrication to the pinion bearing, etc. The video you linked touches on some of that footage slightly. I know the girdled cover on my 8.8 still utilizes a curved inner surface to direct fluid and assume Docs likely does too.

My only other thought was that it was possibly well overfilled. It would cause the oil to foam and could cause the puking, but still not certain it would overheat in 10 to 15 miles.

Comment

Get a laser temp gun and shoot the rear end after you run the car to see what the temp is. It should be between 140 and 190 degrees. If it is, then it was probably just overfilled with fluid.

If what SVO is saying is true and the gears were set up too tight, it will start to make noise before too long.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
            X